TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blueyes90 Offline
Trying not to break.....
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: DK

Constant Nausea, Lightheadedness - March 14th 2009, 03:04 AM

For the past year, year and 1/2, I've been having constant feelings of Nausea, lightheadedness, and generally just feeling 'off'. In late March - early April, I began seeing a gastrointerologist, who suggested I get an endoscopy (the test where they stick a camera down your throat) done. The test basically just showed that I had acid reflux that caused a little bit of inflammation on my esophogus. I've taken a variety of medications for acid reflux (Prevacid, Omeprazole, Protonix, etc.). They worked for awhile, but the constant feeling like I'm going to throw up came back.

I can't seem to shake the feeling no matter what I do. I've tried ginger ale, peppermint, a diet that consisted of crackers and sprite - nothing works. I'm going to see about going back to the GI doctor, but until then, I'm going to have to try to deal with this.

Has anybody else had any of these symptoms? If so, what have you done to help with them?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Constant Nausea, Lightheadedness - March 14th 2009, 04:10 AM

Make sure you have a balanced diet, and that you are getting all the vitamins you need. When I first got diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) I dealt with a lot of feelings of nausea, and that mixed with my IBS made me avoid most foods and I essentially did what you did, tried everything, and lived off of very little. Once I realized that was doing nothing for me I started making sure I was getting a multivitamin and eating right, and though it didn't help a lot, it made a slight difference, essentially it wasn't as bad. I also used to take pepto bismol or gravol whenever the nausea got too bad.
I think at this point though it's best to try and see your GI again, there has to be something they can do to suppress this.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Constant Nausea, Lightheadedness - March 14th 2009, 06:20 AM

When I had my ulcer warm liquids always helped me (tea, soup, etc.) I now suffer from acid reflux and for some reason zantex works better than prevacid for me. I also take tums, pepto bismol, and milk of magnesium frequently. Bland foods like bananas, bread, rice, apple sauce, oatmeal, crackers, and steering clear of carbonated beverages helped some. I hope you find some relief.

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kathey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Constant Nausea, Lightheadedness - March 14th 2009, 07:03 AM

Yes, get back to your doc.

Something to think about - Do you get anxious at all? Anxiety can cause/make worse that kind of symptoms.

You've tried ginger ale. But ginger capsules are 'stronger' and they do help - I find them really helpful after I've had an episode of vomiting due to whatever cause.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Constant Nausea, Lightheadedness - March 14th 2009, 08:03 PM

Have you considered the possibility of anemia? If you diet isn't well, or many other causes, you could possibly be anemic, which basically is just a low blood sugar level. This can certainly cause the light-headedness and nausea you described. I had the same sort of feelings for about a month (dec-jan) and I reckoned it to be a drop in blood sugar due to poor diet. Just make sure to eat balanced meals, and if that's not possible for you just pick up some supplements at a local pharmacy (that's what I do). BUT, this is just a possible cause and you should visit a doctor to get diagnosed if it persists.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

Closed Thread