TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Throat closed up? WTF - July 30th 2011, 07:48 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Two things before we continue...

1. I know the doctor is the best option, so don't tell me something I already know. For every time someone recommends that I go see a doctor, I will masturbate. If God kills a kitten every time someone masturbates, then you're essentially putting innocent kittens at risk of death.

2. I'm looking for someone who knows their shit (for instance might have studied it in school or is seeking a profession that deals with this issue) rather than searching in Google for "how to deal with a closed throat" and telling me to stab myself in the neck.

With that being said, let me tell you what happened.

I was working, and it was hot outside so I decided to go in for a bottle of water. I drank some water, closed the lid and felt like water went down the wrong tube. So, I coughed and continued walking outside only to eventually find myself gasping for breath. For about 15 seconds, I had an extremely difficult time breathing because I believe my throat closed up. I couldn't take any air in but for only crucial milliseconds, otherwise I would've passed out in the front entrance of the store. My employees who were watching me like I was making a joke said that my head turned pale. I know my eyes got watery, not sure if it was because I was scared or because it wanted to make the situation more awkward. So I'm wondering...

What the hell just happened?!

And if it were to happen again, how can I unclose my throat?

Would appreciate some legit advice here (and if you aren't sure what qualifies as "legit" advice then refer back to the numbers 1 & 2 from above).

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Throat closed up? WTF - July 30th 2011, 09:10 AM

Generally there are a few main reasons your "throat will close up". The first, and not the one that applies to you, is anaphylaxis, which occurs when you eat something you are allergic to. It's the body's way of preventing more of the same toxin from entering. The second, is the one that applies to you involving your epiglottis. It's a little flap that directs particles down the larynx to the trachea and subsequently to the lungs, or down the esophagus to the stomach. When the particles go down the wrong "tube", a gag reflex occurs whereby the muscles at the throat area contract to bring the particles back up. This contraction gives the feeling of your throat closing.

Turning pale is the precursor to cyanosis, whereby your skin and lips turn blue as a sign of oxygen deprivation.

The diagram below illustrates the epiglottis in relation to the "throat":

"Unclosing" your throat can be done by training and making yourself relax, such as sword-swallowing. You also would strengthen the muscles in your throat area. The main muscles involved are the inferior and middle pharyngeal constrictor muscles, superior pharyngeal constrictor muscle, cricopharyngeous muscle, cricothyroid muscle and posterior cricoarytenoid muscle. Diagrams showing all of these are complex so the below link shows only some but you can Google the rest:

http://theslowdog.com/wp-content/upl...al-Muscles.jpg

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!; July 30th 2011 at 09:24 AM.

Closed Thread