TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lozzo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Numbness - March 16th 2009, 01:29 PM

This wall of text will probably make little sense, but I think I need to right down what is wrong to address this better. I don’t mind if you do not read, or even delete this like my last thread. I am just losing the fight in me to keep going, I just need to try anything I can. I was a little unsure where this should be placed, but decided it could be classed more health than anything else.

For a year or two I haven't felt right, things started to change near the end of my first year at college. I felt overly tired and sad for no reason. It started to quickly develop and I soon felt so tired I felt like I was constantly going to fall unconscious. The one thing that felt truly wrong to me was my head, the horrible numbness that never goes away. It stops me from concentrating and just, living happily. I almost feel as if my brain was downgraded, I feel a lot more slow in the head and it bothers me so much. I feel so idiotic and dim, compared to how I use to be.

After seeing my doctor a lot he finally diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism, he didn’t tell me much about it, merely putting me on medication and sending me off. He said the tablets would work in a week, but what is it.. Much be almost a year now? I really can not keep track of time.

I think I should talk about what is happening now instead of going on about the past, I’ll start with listing my symptoms as there is only so many times I can use the word “And” without going insane.

Almost always has a head ache
Cold
Shaky
Extremely pale (And oddly a little yellow)
Aches and pains throughout my body (Especially my left arm)
Numb empty feeling in my head
Very dry skin
Confused with what is real and not real (Keep thinking dreams I have had are true)
Twitching sometimes (Normally my head jerks left when I bright light hits my eyes, worse if flashing)
Weak and always tired

I have probably missed some things, like my anxiety when being near people I don’t know, but I guess that’s more of a mental issue.
On the subject of metal health though I think there are concerns also, I have developed an awful lot of self hate over the years that I have not been able to shake off yet. But I’m guessing I will not be able to speak of those kind of things here, I won’t make a separate thread in mental health… I have bombarded you with enough as it is.

All I really seek is advise, there is quite a few things I have failed to mention but I think this is getting fare to long as it is… I know you can not diagnose me, but just any little advise would help greatly. I’m starting to give up on myself.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Starlett Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tal

Re: Numbness - March 16th 2009, 02:33 PM

To start off, this made a lot of sense to me. My Mum suffers from hypothyroidism. As far as I know it can take a while for the medication to be figured out, the doctor sometimes has to change around the dosage before the right one is found to stabalise the levels of the thyroid hormone in your body. You said it's been a year since you've been to the doctor, have you not been called back for blood tests? I think it would be really important for you to go and make an appointment with your doctor, because if you are still having a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, it could suggest that the dosage of your medication isn't right for you. But only your doctor can decide this so you really would be best going back to him.

Have you looked for information on hypothyroidism? Maybe you could ask your doctor for any literature he would have on it? Or call to your local pharmacy and see if they have information booklets etc?

I have been looking up different things on the internet about this and many of the symptoms you are experiencing now could be linked to possible thyroid problems. Obviously you will need to consult a medical professional for a diagnosis so I would strongly recommend this.

Please don't give up on yourself, I know it can be frustrating when you don't feel right and you feel like nothing is going to change. Think seriously about getting in touch with your doctor, or a different one if you would like a second opinion because it's not right that you are feeling this way and you don't deserve it. Give yourself the chance to find out what's going on and even thought it might be difficult, be persistant until you feel that something helpful is being done.

Take care, I really hope you get this sorted out. Don't hesitate to contact me if you want to..

Tal

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lozzo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Numbness - March 16th 2009, 06:18 PM

Thanks a lot for the advise Starlett, it is really comforting just to have someone to talk to about it.

I was getting blood tests but for some reason it stopped, the last one I remember my thyroid levels where lowers than the last. But my doctor never asked me to have another. If Iím honest I do not really trust him all to well, he told me at first its all in my head. And more recently he said I may not even have hypothyroidism, he sent me to a psychiatrist who told me that he thought it was medical not mental. after that my doctor has been quiet.

Just so you know, I had a MRI scan which showed up nothing. And went to a few other doctors which where completely stumped with what was wrong. I'm not sure why my doctor suddenly said I did not have hypothyroidism, yet told me to still take the medication for it.

If I am honest Iím just overly confused about everything, my dad thinks Iím pretending to be ill to get out of college. (Which Iím going to regardless of how I feel, but some days I just feel to bad to go in. I hate taking time off as I really do not want to fail.) Having no one believe me apart from my boyfriend makes me feel well... Sad, I wish I could show everyone how I was feeling.

I have looked up hypothyroidism a few time on the internet, as my doctor did not tell me anything about it. But it didn't really help to much, most sites I found just listed the symptoms really.

Thanks for replying anyway, I will try get another blood test if i can.

Closed Thread