TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mia705 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ali

Question Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 03:52 AM

So, I don't know if any of you have heard these, but they are an alternative to pads and tampons.

I am going on a week long camping trip this summer and am worried that that certain time of the month will occur at the same time...so in looking for different options I stumbled on the menstrual cup.

Here's an example of one:
http://www.divacup.com/

Just wondering if any of you have ever tried one of these or even heard of them. If you have tried it...what did you think?

Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 03:55 AM

I've heard of them, they're.. sort of a cool idea. But I always have thought of them as creepy.

I have heard positive things about them. You should probably try one in the next few months to see if it'd actually work for you, it'd fail to have to use it on your first time trying it.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bea Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bea

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 03:18 PM

i know a few friends that use a mooncup and they love it! i think its the same type as the ones you linked!

Bea
Mummy to Jenna born May 2008

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Smudgey Offline
Pie <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Pie

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 03:46 PM

Yeah most of my older friends use mooncups. They are much more hygenic and much less messy. A very good idea!

100 Piercings in my body

(#5 (permalink)) Old
kimvia Offline
is asleep
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kim

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 05:07 PM

I bought and used a diva cup for a while. It was VERY effective! I have really heavy flows and it handled it with no problem. They can be hard to put in at first, and be a bit messy, but once you get used to it, those shouldn't be a problem anymore. The only thing is that you have to clean it once a day, that might be difficult on a camping trip, depending on if you have clean water and soap available, maybe if your periods are only 3 or 4 days long, you could clean it as best you can and not worry about it. You could also try getting cardboard tampons and just using them, they should be bio-degradable, you could just bury them after you use them, lol.

PM me any time, ok? I'm always here to help.

What's the second amendment for?
Just in case the government takes away the first.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sissa Offline
Distorted Reality
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sissa

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 05:21 PM

If I was going away on a camping trip, I definitely wouldn't trust that using a menstrual cup would be hygienic enough. There are prescription tablets you can get to delay your period. They are progesteron pills, I think. You should ask your doctor, as it's probably the best solution, if you want to have fun and feel comfortable. =]

Breathe infinity into my world.
  Send a message via MSN to Sissa  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 05:38 PM

That's really interesting. I've never heard of anything like that. I don't really suggest that you wait until you go camping to try them for the first time, though. Definitely make sure that it'll work for you first.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 05:39 PM

Personally i've never liked the idea of menstrual cups, it just kinda grosses me out. Thankfully i don't have to deal with any of that stuff anymore since i'm on the injection. [which.. btw is an absolute god send.]

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to try the cup for the first time on a camping trip. Maybe try it out a bit before you go and see how it goes. You can always talk through your options with your doctor or a pharmacist.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Sissa Offline
Distorted Reality
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sissa

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereIsHope View Post
That's really interesting. I've never heard of anything like that.

Quote:
Another method that can be used, and may be best in your case, is to take a progestogen such as norethisterone up to a week or ten days before the period that you want to postpone is due (but the earlier the better). This needs to be taken three times a day continuously until after you return from holiday, and can then be stopped. A period usually follows about 48 hours later.
Quote:
Norethisterone is a very effective way of delaying a period when it would be inconvenient, and this is especially true at holiday times. It is taken in a dose of 5mg three times a day starting three days before the period is due, and continued until such time that it becomes convenient again to have that period.
www.netdoctor.com

I'm sure that your GP will be more than happy to talk to you about this, as the Internet isn't always a reliable source for medical information. The quotes were just to demonstrate that it exists and I've taken it in the past when I went on a school trip.

Breathe infinity into my world.
  Send a message via MSN to Sissa  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 17th 2009, 07:55 PM

I meant that I'd never heard of the cups. lol
But thanks for the information anyway. It's not likely that I'll have to deal with any periods for another 6 months or so.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#11 (permalink)) Old
ShareThisDragon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: MJ

Re: Menstrual Cups - March 23rd 2009, 04:37 AM

i haven't tried a menstrual cup before but now that i'm hearing more about it it seems like it's worth looking into. saves a lot of tampon waste too...

with regards to camping, if you're going to take something like the cup perhaps you could clean it by rinsing with clean (treated) drinking water, rubbing it down with alcohol based hand sanitizer like purell (always necessary to have a small bottle of this on a long trip in the woods) and then rinsing AGAIN with clean water. don't put it back in with the alcohol still on it!

i've had reasonably good results taking ob applicator-less tampons on hiking trips too, yes, at that time of the month. they're much smaller and more discrete to pack in, and also to pack back out. carry your own ziplocks for this purpose. a little gross, but not too bad. biodegradeable or not, you shouldn't leave tampon waste on the trail. leave no trace....

so is everyone's favorite generally the moon cup? do they sell them at most pharmacies or do you have to order them?

Closed Thread