TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Cold sores - August 25th 2011, 09:26 PM

I think I have a cold sore on my lip. It's been there for a week and although it's getting better, it's still really irritated. I'm using Bonjela on it, but when it rubs off my lips go really dry and the irritation gets worse (I can only use the Bonjela every three hours). I've googled cold sores and ulcers and I know they're meant to clear up after about a week, but if anyone has a personal experience they could share (like how long it took to clear up) that would be great - I know it's not going to be the same for everyone.

Also, I have no idea how it came about. I just burnt my lip on some food and it appeared. It's getting really uncomfortable and dry - should I be drinking more water or using vaseline or something?

thanks if you can help. x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Cold sores - August 25th 2011, 09:52 PM

If I get a cold sore, it takes at least 2 weeks to go away.
However, since you said you burnt your lip then it appeared, it sounds like a blister.
Is there any "pus"? Usually burns with have some leakage which should be clear unless infected.

For a burn - aloe or something with a lot of vitamin E is supposed to be really good.
For a cold sore - vaseline or petroleum jelly.

Don't put ANY makeup on it, especially a cold sore. If you share your lipstick or anything you can give it to someone else
Switch toothbrushes to keep from getting reinfected. Then switch again once it has gone away. Again, so you don't get another one.
Soaking your lip in cold milk helps relieve any pain from cold sores.
Don't mess with it unless putting medicine on it. It will irritate it.
Also, recent studies show licorice helps heal cold sores! But it has to be real licorice which will say "licorice mass" in the ingredients. Otherwise it's just sugar... lol

So, I hope this helps!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Cold sores - August 25th 2011, 09:55 PM

If it appeared after you burnt your lip, are you 100% sure it's a cold sore?

Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus and are normally triggered by stress, anxiety or certain foods.

In any case, the following information was taken from the NHS website (I highlighted the areas I thought were particularly important in red):
Quote:
Creams and patches for cold sores

If used correctly, antiviral cold sore creams may speed up the healing time of a recurrent infection. They usually contain medication known as aciclovir or penciclovir. Brand names include Zovirax and Soothelip.

These creams are widely available over the counter from pharmacies without a prescription. However, they are only effective if you apply them as soon as the first signs of a cold sore appear, when the herpes simplex virus is spreading and replicating itself.

Using an antiviral cream after this initial period is unlikely to have much effect.

If you have frequently recurring bouts of cold sores, apply an antiviral cream as soon as you feel the tingling sensation, that indicates that a cold sore is about to develop. You will need to apply the cream up to five times a day for four to five days. However, antiviral creams can only help heal a current outbreak of cold sores. They do not get rid of the virus that causes cold sores or prevent future outbreaks from occurring.

There are also cold sore patches (brand name Compeed) that contain a gel called hydrocolloid, which is an effective treatment for skin wounds. The patch is placed over the cold sore and hides the sore while it heals.

Research suggests that cold sores heal in the same amount of time with either patches or antiviral creams.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Cold sores - August 25th 2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJazz View Post

Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus and are normally triggered by stress, anxiety or certain foods.
The sun can cause it too. So even if she burnt her lip, maybe the heat triggered a cold sore. Either way...a bubble on your lip sucks

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Cold sores - August 25th 2011, 10:30 PM

Yeah, I noticed it appeared around the same time as I burnt my lip, so I wasn't 100% whether it was a cold sore or just a burn. From the pictures I've seen it looks more like a cold sore, but I could be wrong.

There was a bit of pus from when it healed overnight and then just popped -.- but since then, it's just been really shrivelled up and dry and itchy.

Whatever it is, it sounds like a good excuse to eat licorice haha.

Thank you both x

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Cold sores - August 25th 2011, 10:51 PM

Well regardless of what brought it on, if its a cold sore it means you must have 'caught' it from someone at some point. Which means it may re-occur! But yeah.. my personal tips..
1) carmex.. I swear by the stuff. It'll stop your lips getting dry and has some anti-bacterial shiz in it. I use it as a prevention as well as if I actually have a cold sore. If you have a cold sore, be careful to wash your hands before putting it on, and to put it on the cold sore last, or with a different finger. You don't want to spread it around and give yourself a second (this is possible, I've done it by being careless).

2) The anti-viral stuff.. buy the supermarket own brand version (I know tesco do their own) as its half the price. Worth a go, although as said above probably more effective at the beginning.

3) Aggressive tactics if it gets horrible and pus-y. Toothpaste! Put a small amount on overnight. It'll sting like hell but it dries the cold sore up.

Hope thats helpful! I've had a lifetime of coldsore experience :P but I do recommend buying carmex. No kissing in the meantime..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Cold sores - August 26th 2011, 01:29 PM

Hey,

I usually use Blistex cold sore treatment on mine when I get them. It doesn't make the healing time go down unless you catch it at the start BUT it keeps it from getting too dry and irritated so perhaps this would help you.

Other than that I think you'll just have to wait it out, mine last about 2 weeks sometimes.

Take care

Closed Thread