TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Awkward, but... Loose stool? - September 17th 2011, 07:58 AM

Okay, it's pretty awkward to talk about, but I've been getting some problems with diarrhea lately.

It hasn't caused any really bad issues yet, thank God, but I've been having loose stool usually every other day, and usually days I get it, it happens more than once.

I just moved out, so maybe my diet has changed? But it really hasn't, I eat a lot of salad, but I did that at home as well. I also drink a lot of coffee and diet Dr. Pepper, but I did that at home too.

Not sure what it can be, I know commonly it's blamed on diets with high fiber, but I ate a lot of salad and high fiber foods at home, and this wasn't going on.

Just seeing what it might be. Thanks for any replies!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Awkward, but... Loose stool? - September 17th 2011, 09:17 AM

Coffee does act as a laxative when drunk frequently But, moving out can be stressful and stress can play total havok with your entire body, including digestion, so that could be another cause.
If it persists, obviously, see a doctor, but in the mean time drink plenty [Water/flat lemonade - not too much coffee!] and try to eat a balanced diet. Banana's are wonderful cause they have this groovy protein that absorbs excess liquid or something, and natural yoghurt and blueberries are also great.

Maybe swap coffee for tea? [Herbal or regular] I've heard it's also helpful, and besides, I drink LOTS of it without problems

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Awkward, but... Loose stool? - September 17th 2011, 11:09 AM

Joanna hits dead on with everything I would have said. Definitely could just be from the stress and excitement of moving out, as well as coffee. I hope this resolves itself But be certain to drink lots of water to keep hydrated!

Have you had anything different in your diet or upped more of one type of food over the other? If you use sugar substitute this can cause diarrhea for some people.

In the meantime avoid foods high in sugar(don't substitute sugar for any substitute, either. The more bland the better) or ones that are really greasy. Those type of foods aggravate your stomach further. Some foods that won't irritate your stomach are fairly common as "flu foods" such as bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Also known as "BRAT foods. You may also try yogurt and steamed chicken.

The chicken gives you protein you need but it is bland so it doesn't irritate your stomach. I hope you feel better soon!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Awkward, but... Loose stool? - September 17th 2011, 11:29 AM

Fibre is supposed regulate you if you also drink your RDI of water. Fibre is also a stool bulker (with water it's a stool softener). Coffee acts as a laxative - the sweetener in diet pepsi is worse than the sugar in normal pepsi.

Btw, steamed chicken is the best. <3

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Awkward, but... Loose stool? - September 17th 2011, 03:41 PM

Definitely increase fibre and avoid eating/drinking things that may make it worse.
If it continues to be a problem you may want to see your doctor about it

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Awkward, but... Loose stool? - September 17th 2011, 06:13 PM

Wait.

Traci, chronic diarrhea is an indication that there's some little nasty in your digestive tract. Although things like stress (moving!) can bring it on, I'd bet not, unless you have a history of this. And, left untreated, diarrhea can actually be rather serious, b/c of dehydration, as well as the cause being left untreated and creating problems on it's own.

So, you can try to modify your diet (boiled chicken and rice, oatmeal, stay away from coffee and higher fiber things like salads), and some OTC remedies, if after a couple days you do not see improvement, it's time to see the doc and start antibiotic treatment.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Awkward, but... Loose stool? - September 17th 2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
Wait.

Traci, chronic diarrhea is an indication that there's some little nasty in your digestive tract. Although things like stress (moving!) can bring it on, I'd bet not, unless you have a history of this. And, left untreated, diarrhea can actually be rather serious, b/c of dehydration, as well as the cause being left untreated and creating problems on it's own.

So, you can try to modify your diet (boiled chicken and rice, oatmeal, stay away from coffee and higher fiber things like salads), and some OTC remedies, if after a couple days you do not see improvement, it's time to see the doc and start antibiotic treatment.

Actually, yes. You could've picked something up and it might be a good idea to nip to a doctors, just to make sure, especially considering it's persistant. Also food for thought, you can develop intolerances to certain foods that cause gastric upset so maybe keep track of what you're eating?

Closed Thread