TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jodie <3

Thumbs up It's Mental - March 20th 2009, 04:38 PM

I was sitting at a bar one nite and there was this guy sitting next to me. He started talking to me and was a preety cool guy. He told me something that I really think is soooo true. Everything is mental. The brain is soooo powerful that it creates stuff in your body. For example if you greow up always tihnking your gonna get sick. Than you will be sick alot. Why? Cause the brain. I'm tellin you people as long as you get something in your brain its there for ever.

One time my head hurt and i jsut closed my eyes and told myself that I wasnt feeling pain and it went right away. I opened my eyes and fully believed this guy. Its all mental everything is. Your brain holds the key to everything it has to.

Peace
Be Safe!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I'm a vampire
Not a n00b

Name: Dylan

Re: It's Mental - March 20th 2009, 05:50 PM

thats the power of psychology. most minds only live how they do because it is how their being told to. if you can control your inner most thoughts, then it is possible to manipulate your mind in ways you never thought possible, and even possibly the minds of others

MUSIC = LIFE
  Send a message via AIM to Phoenix Enforcer  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: It's Mental - March 20th 2009, 06:30 PM

I also agree that this is completely true. It's also a proven psychological fact that when you tell yourself you are going to constantly feel sad and down, or you are always thinking negatively and chose to ignore the positive things in your life, your brain releases more of the chemical that makes you feel depressed and think negatively. It's also why I think people with serious illness and diseases really need to fight not only physically, but emotionally. When they tell themselves they are most definitely going to die, they have less of a chance of surviving, compared to those who truly believe that they can fight through whatever it is that they happen to be suffering from. So, yeah, that guy you met knew what he was talking about, for sure.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: It's Mental - March 20th 2009, 06:34 PM

I don't know if i believe this to the extent that you do, but i definitely believe it's true. I'm a firm believer in positive thinking and i think mental strength can get you through pretty much any health problem. And the whole pain thing.. Our lacrosse coach was talking about that the other year actually, how you can control the pain you feel to some extent by thinking a certain way.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: It's Mental - March 20th 2009, 08:43 PM

... I'm going to have to disagree with this - to an extent. The mind holds an incredible power over the body and how it percieves pain. As someone with chronic pain conditions and nearly monthly hospitalizations, sometimes you can do all you can mentally to make the pain go away, but physically it won't happen. Now I also agree that focusing on pain and illness can intensify those symptoms, but sometimes, even the power of the mind can't "heal" you. It can only help you handle what you're experiencing in a better manner.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: It's Mental - March 21st 2009, 07:13 AM

We know so little about the bain, once we figure the whole thing out who knows what kind of cures we will have for everything from the common cold to cancer. Even tho we already have a cure for that...

Peace
Be Safe!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kathey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: It's Mental - March 21st 2009, 08:43 AM

The mind and body are intertwined [and I feel uncomfortable with the word 'mental' used in this way, it has such negative connotations, people could get the wrong idea from the title - more specifically, it's the mind and emotions.]
Psychosomatic conditions exist - I have them, regularly. It's part of what I learnt from my parents growing up - feelings had to be denied, and body illness got attention. And that feelings, unattended to, can go into the body.
My experience is that emotional sensitivity, times of increased emotional vulnerability can make me more susceptible to physical illness, like colds or stomach trouble. Or the emotional intensity intensifies the physical symptoms that are there.

It's never completely 'black and white' - although Freud is reputed to have said 'sometimes a cigar is just a cigar'!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: It's Mental - March 21st 2009, 08:26 PM

Like I said earlier, I do respect the power of the mind over some aspects of the body, and yes, psychosomatic conditions do exist. I assume from your statements you are referring to "natural" conditions, like colds, cancer, flu, not "abnormal" conditions, such as gun shot wounds, stab wounds, car wrecks.

I believe if someone told me after I'd been shot, to just "think you're not hurting and you won't," I would hit them in the face, really.

I only say this because I think a negative outlook can lower immune systems; that's been proven. But as someone who has seen my father,grandmother, and grandfather, as well as a close friend, struggle (and the friend die) from cancer for years and years.... and the fact they all continued on working, going to school, whatever? I can't say I believe if they had thought that they would get better, they would.

I've thought that on my own behalf day after day, and it has yet to happen.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: It's Mental - March 21st 2009, 08:26 PM

I can tell you, for certain, that this isn't always true. A broken bone is going to hurt. Pain receptors are real. I've tried to will away migraines to no avail. Chemical imbalances in the brain cannot be cured by telling yourself that you are happy. Feeling "sad" may be that easy to cure, but sad and depressed are different.

Also, I have chronic pain. Telling myself it isn't there doesn't work. Even when I want to believe it, even if I do, it's just me blocking the pain. I still feel it.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Olive, always Offline
The Mighty Grape
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Liv

Re: It's Mental - March 21st 2009, 08:28 PM

Well. I don't really believe it to the extent that I think you do only because I have experienced the pinnacle of pain able to be experienced next to childbirth due to hemmoraging in my brain. Trust me, I thought it was a sinus headache, and it still didn't make me not vomit from the pain!
Positive thinking can get one far, however. Perhaps what you're saying in moderation makes sense.

=P

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kathey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: It's Mental - March 21st 2009, 08:39 PM

Even with psychosomatic pain or illness, 'thinking positive' or such won't shift it. That's not my understanding of it. My experience and understanding is that the body is speaking and this needs to be listened to - compassionately. It's not like you can flick a switch. Psychological based symptoms don't work like that. That's an illusion of the self-help type movement. The reality is much more complex and multi-faceted than that.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: It's Mental - March 22nd 2009, 07:44 PM

Yeah when it comes to broken bones and pain like that it is really really hard to get rid of it just by thinking aobut it but i do think that alot of things like a cold or even when it comes to your period. If you think your preggers your period will prolly come late just cause your thinking about it. Stuff like that and alot of illness i think can be stopped by the power of the mind.

Peace
Be Safe!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Care-o-Bear Offline
I <3 him! :)
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Caroline

Re: It's Mental - March 22nd 2009, 08:07 PM

I mosty agree. Maybe not quite to that extent, but I believe that more than anything, things are mental and you can change things with your mind. Like my 3rd grade teacher told us that the only reason chicken noodle soup helps when you're sick is cause everyone grows up thinking it is. So if you genuinely grew up believe chocolate helped make you feel better when you have the flu, then it would help.

Closed Thread