TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Joint pain. - October 17th 2011, 01:34 AM

My hips, wrists, ankles, fingers, and knees click, pop, and cause a lot of pain. My knees have dislocated about 3 times. My hips pop out of their sockets. I sprain/twist my ankles a lot. (obviously not on purpose). I guess my joints are really weak and someone said they are lax? Not sure what all that means... or what I'm trying to ask. I guess I'm just asking if it's possible that my joints hurt for a reason or if there's anything I should be worried about before I go and spend money on a doctor's appointment. I take advil but it really doesn't help. I just started using hot water bottles on my hip but it only works for in the moment and as soon as I take it off it goes right back to hurting. :/ Anyone know anything that could be causing all this joint pain and swelling and clicking and what not?

Any advice. comments, support, etc. would be appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Joint pain. - October 17th 2011, 01:44 AM

Water retention could be possible, but usually that is caused by something else.

There are a few reasons I can think of, but they all require doctor diagnosis. I think you should spend the money to see a doctor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Joint pain. - October 17th 2011, 01:31 PM

As well as going to the doctor you could try taking Aleve instead of Advil.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Joint pain. - October 17th 2011, 03:03 PM

Oh right. You can take Motrin, Ibuprofren. There's some other choices for you to try.

Last edited by escape_thereal_world; October 17th 2011 at 11:37 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Joint pain. - October 17th 2011, 06:11 PM

What you're describing is 'hypermobility'- that's what they mean when they say your joints are lax. This is not a diagnosis it's the clinical term for 'lax'. Now, what I suggest is that you do go to a doctor. This is because the best treatment for yourself is a course of physiotherapy and exercise regime tailored to suit you. The doctors could also supply you with braces/splits to support the joints during the time it takes for joint strength to be built up.

Also, clicking/cracking joints is infact healthy. Some people believe it causes arthritis but this is certainly not the case. Clicking is caused by trapped air in the joints so it is better to get these air bubbles out by causing them to click.

As for painkillers I'd suggest Ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatory tablets. Just ensure that you take it with food to reduce stomach irritation and see your doctor straight away if you start vomiting.

Last edited by escape_thereal_world; October 17th 2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Previous post was edited for false information. Deleted continuation of that here

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Joint pain. - October 17th 2011, 09:23 PM

I have joint hypermobility syndrome and what you're describing sounds similar to what I get. I have to have a lot of physiotherapy to strengthen my joints as they are constantly dislocating, especially my shoulders and my right hip.
It is worth going to see a doctor as you don't need to suffer with your joints. It took years to finally have an answer to my problems as no one believed how much pain I was in.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eli22 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Joint pain. - October 21st 2011, 05:58 AM

very sad to hear that about ur condition and ur knee dislocated three times u have to go for a good physical therapist he is the peroson but choose the best physical therapist in area becuase some nonprofessional people are also here.......

Closed Thread