TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Doctor (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t8698-doctor/)

Marshmello Kid March 22nd 2009 01:34 AM

Doctor

So I've been SH free for 7 months. Just so you know I'm not worried about fresh cuts/whatever.

So, my mum made me a doctors appointment. (mum knows about my SH)
I'm just wondering what I could expect from him. Seeing my scars, and stuff. . . What do you think he might say or do?

. . . I'm really frightened
I really don't want to go, but my mum insists, because she thinks I'm sick.

But yeah, any stories? Advice? Hugs? Something to calm me down? >_<

I'm so scared >_<

rescueisnotamyth March 22nd 2009 01:39 AM

Re: Doctor

**hug**

I have no advice for you... I never go to the doctor.(seriously. I only go if I'm deathly sick or need a sports physical for school sports, then I go to something my school sponsors where they basically just test blood pressure, range of motion and take your height/weight.)

Tecatholic March 22nd 2009 01:41 AM

*HUG*
I have no advice. Im sorry.

molliegym March 22nd 2009 01:57 AM

*BIG BIG HUGS* to you :)

Is this a regular doctor (physician) you're going to? If so, what happens will vary. They may or may not say anything, though they probably will. The doctor may refer you to a therapist.

If it is a psychiatrist (a mental health doctor), then that's a different story. He or she will likely ask you a bunch of questions- alone, and with your mom in the room, and then he or she will probably want to talk to your mom alone.

Marshmello Kid March 22nd 2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliegym (Post 89441)
*BIG BIG HUGS* to you :)

Is this a regular doctor (physician) you're going to? If so, what happens will vary. They may or may not say anything, though they probably will. The doctor may refer you to a therapist.

If it is a psychiatrist (a mental health doctor), then that's a different story. He or she will likely ask you a bunch of questions- alone, and with your mom in the room, and then he or she will probably want to talk to your mom alone.

It's a regular doctor. I'm going because of other health things/my mom's paranoid.

molliegym March 22nd 2009 02:04 AM

Will you have to wear a hospital gown? Those things aren't fun, so I sympathize with you if you do. There's no need to be frightened, really. It's nerve-wracking as anything, but your doctor may or may not even say anything. If you're going for a "check-up" (physical), then they probably will mention it (I know when I go to the doctor, she usually does a quick glance over my whole body for marks or moles etc.), but if you're going because you're sick (if you think you have the flu or something) then your doctor will probably be less likely to mention it.

Marshmello Kid March 22nd 2009 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliegym (Post 89446)
Will you have to wear a hospital gown? Those things aren't fun, so I sympathize with you if you do. There's no need to be frightened, really. It's nerve-wracking as anything, but your doctor may or may not even say anything. If you're going for a "check-up" (physical), then they probably will mention it (I know when I go to the doctor, she usually does a quick glance over my whole body for marks or moles etc.), but if you're going because you're sick (if you think you have the flu or something) then your doctor will probably be less likely to mention it.

I'm having some issues with food, it's making my really pale and tired, I always look sick becuase of it. My mom wants me to get checked out and get blood work done. I'm also going becuase I need my shots

whitestringbracelet March 22nd 2009 02:29 AM

Reid, I don't think that the doctor's going to have too huge of a reaction. If you explain to him/her that the scars are old and that you've been SH free for months and that your mother knows the story, I think that the doctor will be ok with that. (Not ok, like you should do it again, but ok like s/he'll understand.)

Casey. March 22nd 2009 02:34 AM

When I went to the doctor, they said nothing about my cuts/scars, but honestly, he probably won't mention it.Or he might ask a question about it. As it is scars, and not cuts, he might be less likely to bring in up.

Arcenciel March 22nd 2009 02:39 AM

If he says something, just assure him that your mother knows and there's no need for further discussion. If he persists to speak about it, just tell him to knock it off or you'll stick a needle in his eye. *kidding*

He may not say anything though *hugs* so try not to get worked up about it.

*cuddles lots and lots* I'm sure everything will be fine. let us know how it goes, okay?

I ♥ Jehovah Shalom! March 22nd 2009 02:39 AM

Actually, if you tell him that you used to do it and you stopped and your mom knows about it.. Ur fine, I told my dr about mine but my dad doesn't know but he can't say anything.. Patient, client privlege.. So its cool.
=)

Marshmello Kid March 22nd 2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suniesha (Post 89473)
Actually, if you tell him that you used to do it and you stopped and your mom knows about it.. Ur fine, I told my dr about mine but my dad doesn't know but he can't say anything.. Patient, client privlege.. So its cool.
=)

Thanks. [=

I think I'll do that. . . >_<

udontno March 22nd 2009 06:00 PM

I haven't been to the doctor since I started having a large amount of questionable scars. I'm rarely ever sick, so I've been lucky. Of course, when getting my physical at school last year they had to take my blood pressure from my left arm (which is the bad one). No one said anything. I did have makeup on the scars though, in an attempt to cover them. It helped. If the doctor was to question me, I'd tell the truth however. He or she needs to know and they shouldn't judge me based on that, especially since it is in my past now, I guess. However, I would wear something that would cover the scars if at all possible.

WhisperingSilence March 22nd 2009 06:55 PM

hi omg i have a docotors appointment about s/h tommrow. i guess we just have to tell the doctor what we want. im not sure. though.