TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Can you use too much bonjela? - October 27th 2011, 07:16 PM

I have one hell of a nasty mouth ulcer on my lip I bought Bonjela to try and get rid of it. Thing is I'm using it like crazy It says on the box to use it every three hours. Surely it's not that harmful, it's not like I'm swallowing it. It really helps relieve the pain and I'm going to a party on Saturday and I don't want a huge ulcer on my lip

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Can you use too much bonjela? - October 27th 2011, 07:29 PM

Short answer : yes.

It has a dosage on it for a reason Ceilidh so you shouldn't be using more than is necessary as even though you aren't swallowing it it's still entering your system by being absorbed through the skin.

However, you can combine the treatment of the ulcer with other things inbetween doses of bonjela to ease the pain. Is the ulcer on the inside of your lip? If so then I recommend getting the mouthwash Cordosyl. I use that whenever I get a mouth ulcer and it speeds up healing time a lot. You can also dab TCP onto the infected area as well and that eases the pain too, you can gargle TCP too but it tastes awfully nasty so I prefer to just dab it onto the area.

I hope this helps and take care Ceilidh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Can you use too much bonjela? - October 28th 2011, 12:18 PM

Practically speaking... the dose limits they "recommend" are done for safety reasons so they don't get sued for someone's liver failing, for example.

It depends on the person, just like some people can take more alcohol, some less. If you have a higher body mass the chances are you can exceed the dose considerably more without much risk than someone weighing [EDIT]. A higher metabolism also works in your favour, so if you work out a lot you should be able to handle this kind of stuff better. It's why doses for kids are usually a lot smaller, due to their body mass... and other stuff like organs not being fully developed etc., but mostly body mass.

I've gone twice over the recommended allowance with many over the counter meds (not prescription though) with no symptoms whatsoever. I've had a number of quite thorough medical checks and the only thing that's wrong with me is I get dry eyes too frequently, which I've always had. It's very irritating.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; October 28th 2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Weight figures aren't allowed.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Can you use too much bonjela? - October 28th 2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
Practically speaking... the dose limits they "recommend" are done for safety reasons so they don't get sued for someone's liver failing, for example.

It depends on the person, just like some people can take more alcohol, some less. If you have a higher body mass the chances are you can exceed the dose considerably more without much risk than someone weighing [EDIT]. A higher metabolism also works in your favour, so if you work out a lot you should be able to handle this kind of stuff better. It's why doses for kids are usually a lot smaller, due to their body mass... and other stuff like organs not being fully developed etc., but mostly body mass.

I've gone twice over the recommended allowance with many over the counter meds (not prescription though) with no symptoms whatsoever. I've had a number of quite thorough medical checks and the only thing that's wrong with me is I get dry eyes too frequently, which I've always had. It's very irritating.
Dosages are all about safety but I don't think we should be advising people to just ignore the suggestions on the medicines since we don't know what will happen if they exceed the dose. Sure, nothing may happen but something might so we should always have an air of caution when advising these sorts of things due to the fact none of us are professionals.

Body mass does play a part in what dose you should take but other things can effect it too like any past diseases or history of illnesses in the family.

So please don't suggest to people that they can just ignore the dosages.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Can you use too much bonjela? - October 28th 2011, 03:49 PM

As the others have pointed out, there's a recommended dosage for a reason.
This may sound silly, and true to my words they will burn to heaven on high, but if you take a little salt and apply it on your ulcer and leave it there for a minute it cleans it right up. Anytime I get an ulcer, I use salt, sometimes with a teeny drop of lime and it's gone before you know it.

and I'm going to say it again. It will sting. But the effect is just brilliant. I guess when they say "no pain no gain", they really mean it!

I hope you get rid of that ulcer!

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Can you use too much bonjela? - October 28th 2011, 06:16 PM

Yes you can take to much bonjela, I took too much bonjela last week, and it made me sky high, nothing much happened other than that, but its best not to take too much. I think it has an antiseptic in it or something . I've also since become somewhat resistant/Immune to the bonjela as-well .

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread