TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Potential Carpal Tunnel? - November 19th 2011, 02:11 AM

Ever since this summer, I've been having some difficulties, and from what I've heard, it might be carpal tunnel. I usually use a computer for several hours a day, and at the beginning, my right hand used to be a bit sore when I would log off. However, it's gotten a bit worse, my wrist is sore, and it tends to swell a bit, too. I also have pain and numbness at the base of my index and middle finger. I just figured I would cut back on computer time, and it helped at first, but now, even something like taking notes in class causes pain.

I know I can't get a professional opinion, but does this sound like it could potentially be carpal tunnel? Is there a way to fix it without surgery, or at least to slow it down, or to relieve some of the pain?

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Potential Carpal Tunnel? - November 19th 2011, 05:31 AM

Hey there!
It does sound a lot like carpal tunnel. It would probably be a good idea to go see your doctor about it. If it is caught early, it can generally be treated without surgery. Your doctor might suggest that you wear a wrist brace occasionally, or they might give you tips on how to go about different activities in your day that could be making it worse. Also, taking an NSAID (like ibuprofen) can help with inflammation. But you definitely want to go get checked out as soon as you can, because if carpal tunnel goes untreated and continues to get worse, it only causes more nerve damage and damages muscle strength. Worst case scenario is that you'll need surgery, but hopefully it hasn't gotten to that point yet if it is carpal tunnel. Even if it has, my dad had carpal tunnel surgery back in August. He had severe carpal tunnel and had left it untreated to the point that he almost lost all feeling and use in his hand. The surgery was an out-patient procedure and he noticed some difference pretty quickly, and his hand has continued to get better ever since he had it! So, it's definitely treatable, both surgically and nonsurgically.

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Potential Carpal Tunnel? - November 19th 2011, 04:34 PM

Carpel tunnel is quite common.

I had Carpel Tunnel in my wrist when I was younger. My doctor gave me a wrist splint and said to take Ibuprofen (a NSAID- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory). You need to ensure that you have a good posture whilst on the computer as that can worsen the pain in your wrists. You can buy gel support pads for the keyboards. I would also recommend taking breaks from using the computer- say every 30-40 minutes.

I'd suggest going to your doctor to get a proper diagnosis and a well fitting splint for your wrist (if need be).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Re: Potential Carpal Tunnel? - November 19th 2011, 05:13 PM

It could be, I would defiently get it checked out though before it gets worse.

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "

Closed Thread