TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Weird reaction from medication? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t90776-weird-reaction-medication/)

Symphony. December 17th 2011 12:15 PM

Weird reaction from medication?

One of my medications for OCD has recently been upped from 50 mg to 75. I can't buy it in 75 mg, so I have to take a pill and a half. Now, whenever I take my medication in the morning, I'll feel like the pill is stuck in my throat. I know that's normal to feel on a small scale, but I won't feel it just a little bit- it will be almost unbearable. I'll call my psychiatrist on Monday (he doesn't work on the weekend), but do you guys have any advice until then? This has only started since I changed my dosage.

escape_thereal_world December 17th 2011 03:06 PM

Re: Weird reaction from medication?

Do you take both at the same time? Is it actually just too much to swallow? That can cause that feeling. Or drinking with the pills can help sometimes.

Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would be having that sort of reaction. Since you have taken it beforehand, it's not an allergic reaction. And that sort of feeling isn't generally a side effect.

But definitely call your doctor and see what he suggests. I could be wrong about this medications side effects. It's just not a common one :P

So - try to drink more when you take them. Don't take them at once, but one at a time.

Good luck!

Pessimistic Panda December 17th 2011 03:16 PM

It depends on the pill, I would assume it could be the fact that the one pill is in half sometimes it feels like the pill I'm swollowing when it's in half stick to my throat. I'm almost sure I'm over reacting but feel free to call your pshyc doctor monday and see what he says you could do.

youbetheanchor December 17th 2011 04:04 PM

It's most likely a psychological thing with the difference in sizes. Like I can swallow my meds because I'm used to that size but I went to take a Tylenol the other day and it was 3 times harder.

Lottie December 17th 2011 11:41 PM

Try taking your meds with water and then quickly follow it with a yogurt. Sometimes it can need a little help getting down- especially in the mornings. Also, if you have ever OD'ed this can happen too as it's a psychological feeling. With that the yogurt helps too :)

Kate* December 18th 2011 04:05 AM

This can happen sometimes if pills are different or weird sizes. It's probably nothing to worry about. It's also possible that you've scratched the back of your thoat somehow and it feels a little weird. If that's the case it will heal on it's own.

Symphony. December 18th 2011 04:34 PM

I didn't have this problem today, but after reading all your posts, I will try everything everyone said. Thanks for the tips and info, guys (:

escape_thereal_world December 18th 2011 04:37 PM

Great :) Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Since it's gone away, I'm going to close the thread. Feel free to post again or ask me to reopen this if it happens again!