TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fickle Iris Offline
crazy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vanessa

Unhappy More than the usual skin issues - December 30th 2011, 12:09 AM

So first off, I have always had sensitive skin. When I was a kid I could hardly go outside in the summer without getting a sun burn if I wasn't wearing a shitton of sunscreen- but since I moved from TX to PA, it got worse!

It became apparent I had really bad eczema, and that was manageable till it suddenly wasn't a few years ago and we found- guess what?! I'm allergic to dust mites! And I have lived in moldy dusty houses since I moved.

Again, mostly manageable and I dealt with it- but for the past few months it's been absolutely terrible.

I mean my face is always on fire, my arms look like someone's taken a cheese grater to them with how hard I scratch, and better yet the lotions and stuff I usually use no longer help!!!

I am going crazy, I can't focus, it actually *hurts* these days, and I hate going out in public! My friends don't care what I look like and they're really sweet and supportive, but enough is enough!!!

Any advice on how to deal with it? I'm just fed up, and I really need some help

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: More than the usual skin issues - December 30th 2011, 12:55 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you're having to deal with this. I know from my experience with acne how damaging skin problems can be when it comes to confidence and self-esteem.

My advice is to reconsider the products that you are using on both your body and your clothes.

Seeing as you've had this problem for a long time, I'm guessing that you already use products which say that they are designed for sensitive skin.

But the truth is that even these supposedly "skin-friendly" products are full of manufactured chemicals which can wreak all kinds of havoc with the body.

I would therefore advise you to look into using soapnuts as a laundry detergent. Whenever someone first hears of soapnuts, they're like "WTF? How are nuts going to clean anything? " And for a long time I didn't trust that they could do as good a job as traditional detergent.

But they're actually amazing. They are naturally anti-fungal, anti-microbial, they leave clothes smelling and looking clean and feeling soft and, the best part of all; they are great for people with skin conditions, e.g. eczema, psoriasis, acne and general dry skin. :] My dad has sensitive skin too (gets a rash after simply taking a shower, can't go in the sun for more than a few mins, etc) and these are perfect for him (and for the rest of the family too!)

For more information, I recommend this article (http://www.naturalnews.com/021875.html) and also this site (http://www.soapnuts.co.uk/index.html) - Although that last site is a UK one, you can get soapnuts in the US if that's where you are. :]

Anyways, that's the laundry side.

Whilst you can use soap nuts for washing your body with, as you will see from the Soapnut Recipes page (http://www.soapnuts.co.uk/soapnut-recipes.html), that requires some preparation. My brother does it, but then he is very set on going completely "green". If you can't be bothered to faff around with recipes, I would suggest using some natural/organic soap (can be bought from various places).

Feel free to ask any questions.

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: More than the usual skin issues - December 30th 2011, 05:02 AM

Use Virgin Coconut oil on your skin for eczema. It's soothing, it's a natural emollient, it's naturally anti-fungal and antibacterial, and it can make your skin look better too. It smells a little bit like coconut.

Since I am not a nutritionist, I can't say much, but you should try to look up the book "Healing Psoriasis". Yes, I realize you have eczema, but the author of the book explains that it's got essentially the same properties as psoriasis. It is a nutritional approach to making eczema symptoms go away. However, it is quite challenging to follow. If you want other tips, you can send me a message, or respond to this thread.

Edit: Also, you should consider getting a chlorine filter for your shower head. Just a tip.

Edit(2): Don't make any significant dietary changes without consulting a doctor.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fickle Iris Offline
crazy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: More than the usual skin issues - January 1st 2012, 08:45 PM

thank you for replying!

@Fairy Poppins
Yeah, it's a total bummer I'm glad I don't really have to deal with pimples or anything though, skin is too dry for the most part :P

That makes sense- I mean the fancy steroid creme from the doc works just about as well as Gold Bond lotion *shrug* My friend has been telling me to try hurts bees lotion, think it'll make a difference?

Soap nuts... hmm. I'll give it a try! ^^ I'm in the US, so do you think i could get them in a place like whole foods? or would I have to order them online?

@LostCause
I tried that before! I felt like it worked for a bit but after a while it just made me feel really oily :/ I'm picky when it comes to my skin I'll suck it up and try again... maybe I was using coconut Butter instead?

BOOKS! I can do books, truthfully I don't know much about eczema other than it sucks and I have it- I better do some research then I suppose...

Chlorine filter sounds good, just something you'd but at home depot right?

Thank you both so much! Happy new year!!! ^^

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: More than the usual skin issues - January 2nd 2012, 01:09 PM

Chlorine filters should be at Home Depot - type stores. I would recommend Burt's bee's lotion (not hurts ). I've not tried it, but I've heard great things about it. Can't hurt to try it!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: More than the usual skin issues - January 2nd 2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle Iris View Post
That makes sense- I mean the fancy steroid creme from the doc works just about as well as Gold Bond lotion *shrug* My friend has been telling me to try hurts bees lotion, think it'll make a difference?
I would definitely try it. Try anything natural, organic too if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle Iris View Post
Soap nuts... hmm. I'll give it a try! ^^ I'm in the US, so do you think i could get them in a place like whole foods? or would I have to order them online?
You could try asking in those kind of stores, but I'd be surprised if they stock them. Most people in the western world have never even heard of them.

If you can't find them offline, would you be okay ordering them online?

P.S. Happy New Year to you too!

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fickle Iris Offline
crazy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: More than the usual skin issues - January 2nd 2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
Chlorine filters should be at Home Depot - type stores. I would recommend Burt's bee's lotion (not hurts ). I've not tried it, but I've heard great things about it. Can't hurt to try it!
Oh the woes of auto correct xP I shall definitely get some! My friend got me some of the Chapstick for around my eyes *eye roll* I try to use lotion to take care of it (I run my eyes all the time with my allergies from hell) but if I'm not carefull it just BURNS and my eyes end up watering new XP the Burts stuff worked great though!!!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fickle Iris Offline
crazy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: More than the usual skin issues - January 2nd 2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Poppins View Post
I would definitely try it. Try anything natural, organic too if possible. You could try asking in those kind of stores, but I'd be surprised if they stock them. Most people in the western world have never even heard of them.

If you can't find them offline, would you be okay ordering them online?

P.S. Happy New Year to you too!
Oh yeah, online shopping is my dads favorite haha! Ive just been meaning to check the Whole Foods out for a while, I just need a good reason for mom to drive me~

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: More than the usual skin issues - January 4th 2012, 04:11 AM

If you want I can give you a link to a site. It's a site made by this woman that took a similar approach to the one in the book I told you about. Of course, this woman's eczema was REALLY bad, so it was much more extreme. it gives the general idea though.

Closed Thread