TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

quitting smoking - December 31st 2011, 12:03 AM

I quit smoking 9 days ago. I did it because I was getting sick of having a sore chest. When I packed it in I started thinking about what I could do with the money I don't spend on tobacco - namely buy new clothes every now and then.

But, and this happens every time, I'm just over one week into quitting and I just want to give up. I've started dreaming about smoking and I start getting cravings for it now to the point that I pretend I'm smoking.

This always happens after the first week. The first week I have always found is easy - unlike what the adverts say. I have no real cravings. The only thing that affects me is a bad mood for the first 3 days - and that didn't happen because I was using the Nicorette gum. And I was quite pround of myself because on the pack of the gum it says most people chew between 8 and 12 pieces a day - I was chewing just three!!

But I don't really want to quit anymore. I could if I wanted - and its a great thing to know that if I had a solid reason - a girlfriend I actually liked, a family, kids, etc.; I could do it.

But smoking is useful for me in that when I'm studying and writing an essay I can go out for a cigarette and clear my head, get away from what I'm doing and have a think. And smoking is more relaxing that going for a walk or any other tactic I've tried.

But I wonder why the second week becomes harder for me...and its not a case of will power, I felt neutral when I started thinking I'll just leave it for a few days to let my chest ease up and to have me smoking fewer cigarettes when I do start again...then I thought I'd quit for good at how great the gum was as a substitute.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: quitting smoking - December 31st 2011, 01:26 AM

I think the second week is harder because you know you've made it through the first, so maybe you start to stop trying so hard to keep yourself from smoking.
It is best to quit however, because you will have a lot more money because you won't be spending it on packs all the time. And you don't need it to go clear your head either, going for a short walk or just taking a snack break can do the same thing, and its much healthier.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: quitting smoking - December 31st 2011, 06:45 AM

Welcome to Teenhelp Joe, if you need anything or have any questions feel free to ask.

I moved your thread to the General health forum because we try to focus on the health aspect of the topic here at Teenhelp.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Santeria Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Jeremy

Re: quitting smoking - December 31st 2011, 06:59 AM

Hi. I'm a smoker too, and I feel the same way in that I can quit for a week or so but then the craving gets too strong. You'll have to try to do something else when a bad craving comes like going for a walk as suggested. Maybe the patch system will help, although its expensive it'll still save you money in the long run. I'd love to quit too but I just don't see it happening for me any time soon . Feel free to PM if you ever want to talk about it though

PM me, I'm bored

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: quitting smoking - January 1st 2012, 04:34 PM

Hey, Joe. The first two weeks are always the hardest. The nicotine is still getting out of your system and you may not realize but it could be withdrawal finally kicking in. Either way, it does get stronger the second week for a few reasons. One being you realize, "Wow, I've gone a week!" which can sort of do reverse psychology on your body.

Secondly, as I said before. The withdrawal effects kick in.

From everyone I have personally known who have tried to quit, or quit, they say the second week is horrible but get through it and it's pretty easy. Of course there are urges to smoke every now and then, but not as strongly as the first two weeks.

There are plenty of reasons to stop smoking. You are only thinking of people to stop for. Why not yourself? Your health? You said if you had kids. Well, one day you might have kids. And if you keep smoking, they might see. Or you might have a terrible smoker's cough, which I grew up with my mom doing. I hated it. It made me worry all the time. I'm sure you don't want your kids to feel that way!

Also, health in general: Cancer, emphysema, etc.
Money. You could have more money to save or buy some clothes or buy a game every now and then.

To clear your head, try taking a walk or listening to some music in the hallway for a bit.

Good luck hun!

Closed Thread