TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Defying Gravity Offline
Nothing can stop me :)
Not a n00b

Name: Caroline

Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 07:30 AM

For the past few months, I've been having a lot of trouble falling asleep. I start getting ready for bed around 11:00 but can't fall asleep until after 2:30. It's really taking a toll on me, physically and emotionally. How can I stop this awful habit?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 07:41 AM

Well, make sure you are not drinking any caffeine within a few hours of going to bed. This can keep you up, even if you're mentally tired. This can include soda or even medicine. Also try not to do too much exercise or such before bed, as it just gets you wired up. Lastly, if you're having trouble falling asleep, maybe try getting up earlier so you naturally get tired a bit earlier each night. I hope this helped a bit.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Defying Gravity Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 07:52 AM

Maybe it's the herbal antidepressants that I take...or that I don't get home from dance until 10:30. I'll try getting up earlier, that will probably help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 09:21 AM

1. If you use your phone, tablet or computer at night then the lighting conditions usually fuck with your sleeping rhythms. Download and install F.lux. It will regulate the frequency of light coming from your monitor, so that the light at night will be more yellow (I don't know the science behind it, but it's far more comfortable)

2. No need to be taking any stimulants before you go to bed, or during the evening, they will keep you awake.

3. It might just be possible that you are not tired. Doesn't sound like it though. If you have a really active/tiring day, do you find you sleep better? Sometimes if I'm struggling to sleep I go run for a while, after which I can usually come back, shower, and then fall straight asleep from. Creating exhaustion to adjust your sleeping habits is a bit... weird... but I've had good luck with it

4. Don't fall into the habit of just taking sleeping pills. Shits not good for you long term, and it doesn't solve the root problem.

Good luck! Don't forget to let us know what caused it in the end.

- Yogi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 09:37 AM

Firstly, make sure that you're wearing loose comfortable clothes and that the temperature in your room is not too hot or too cold. Then make sure you don't do any physical activity before sleeping.
Also, you have to prepare your mind a bit to sleep during the day. Like if you are active all day and are expecting to fall asleep as soon as you hit the bed, that is kinda difficult. During the day prepare yourself mentally that you have to sleep at this time.

These are just general sleeping tips. If these things don't work out and the problem persists, you can talk to a doctor about it.
I hope that helped

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 11:46 AM

There will be some users who disagree, but I have found that if I can't sleep in 30 minutes, I get up and read a BORING book ie dictionary, romance novel I have no interest in, etc. (in paper form, not ereader or on a computer). This makes me soooo tired so I go bck to bed within another 30 minutes and pass out

Everyone else has made some great suggestions so I hope you are able to find some sleep!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 02:51 PM

I've read that it should help you fall asleep faster if you stop using all electronics 30 minutes before bed. Also only using your bed to sleep should help too because your body knows it's time to sleep.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Defying Gravity Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the ideas!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 06:01 PM

I also heard that going to bed at the same time every night, and waking up at the same time every day can help. This means having the same sleeping schedule on weekends.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 6th 2012, 11:00 PM

Hi there,

Routine will always help. Instead of aiming to be in bed for 11, aim to be asleep by then. Hot baths help me to fall asleep, some people find things like tea or hot chocolate to help them get to sleep.
Making sure you have nothing to distract you from sleeping helps, the TV off, music off, computer or laptop being switched off and mobile phone being switched off or put onto silent mode.

I find when I find it difficult sleeping things like my phone will only make me stay up longer so most of the time my phone is on silent so I don't decide to stay awake texting.

Best of luck,
Paige

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 7th 2012, 08:17 PM

Hi there.

Gosh I know this feeling to well

It's known stress can cause you to have issues sleeping. Are you stressed out now? If so try and do things to reduce this. Do you suffer with any mental health illnesses such as depression or anxiety?

People are right, don't drink caffeine in the evening as while this might not affect some people, for others it can. It's also known that eating before bed time can make you struggle to sleep.

Again, things like being on the computer, watching tv etc can make it worse. My doctor also told me reading can cause it to be worse because this is still stimulating your brain but for me personally, reading sometimes helps. I guess it's something which is a bit of trial and error.

It probably will help if you go to bed the same time every night and roughly wake up the same time every morning. Obviously if you're at school or work for 9am every day and then the weekend comes and you're off, I am sure it wouldn't hurt to have an extra half hour or hour but don't lay in until noon!

If you can't get to sleep after half an hour or so, try getting a warm milky drink (NO CAFFIENE!) or even try getting a bath.

It's also known that if you don't get enough sunlight in the day time, it can make it hard to sleep at night as well which is all related to sunlight producing melatonin which helps us sleep.

If it gets worse or doesn't improve, I'd suggest seeing a doctor, as while it could just be something simple, certain physical health conditions can cause people to have issues with sleeping and it could be serious so it'd be good to get checked, however, it's probably not but that could just be a last solution.

Try making sure you're bedroom is at a good temp and is calmful etc. Try avoiding naps in the day and avoid stressful situations before bed. So if you have work to do, give yourself a time limit to stop doing it before you go to bed.

Hope this helps!

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Advice on getting to bed earlier? - January 7th 2012, 10:28 PM

Try reading before going to sleep, even if it is a magazine, newspaper , comic, or a book it could help. I have found sometimes when I can't sleep watching some really boring TV show like politicians discussing some boring subject to do with the goverment also helps me fall asleep. And hot milky drinks can also help. And the other one I've been told that also helps is to not use your laptop on your bed or use electronics on your bed.

Lavender is supposed to be good to help sleep, so maybe try putting some lavender oil or spraying some lavender scented spray around your room.

The other thing that I find sometimes helps me sleep and does get my sleeping pattern back under control is a herbal tea , you can get some herbal tea's specially for night time. The one I use is called pukka night time tea, though it can be hit and miss with the night time tea's as they sometimes work and sometimes don't.

The internet may have some sleep guides that you can download and look at as-well. I think the NHS site has one you can download.

Also some people find that having their room pitch black helps them sleep, I have found this with me sometimes. My room is pitch black at night I have a black out blind and a peice of cardboard above the top of my door to block out any natural light as the natural outside light does wake you up and artifical light can stop you from sleeping, getting a black out blind might be something to be look into if light is keeping you awake and stopping you from getting to sleep.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread