TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Hypochondriac with actual health issues - January 19th 2012, 12:20 AM

Basically, I'm a total hypochondriac, and I have been since I was like 6. But I also do have actual health issues, and weird ones, ones that doctors can clearly see or prove through tests sometimes but that have no explanation. I'm a medical mystery in a few different ways. My blood test results are always weird, I've had thrombocytosis since I was like 13 and we have no clue why, I'm always getting hurt, I'm only 15 and I always feel like I'm falling apart. I've never known a 15 year old to have so many joint problems and complain about their hip hurting like I do. I mean, it's like my bones are weak or something but I don't know since I've never had like a bone density test or anything, but I'm always spraining something, I've broken my wrist before, and I've fractured my ankle, according to my doctor it was a hairline fracture to the inside of the bone on the outside of the ankle, they're unusual but possible and it's because my ankle exhibited all signs of a break or fracture but even a month and a half after the initial accident it didn't show up on an x-ray because an x-ray doesn't show a fracture or break there. My back is always hurting and has since I was very little, it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older. I can't sit or stand straight or it hurts within 3 minutes or less, slouching hurts too so I'm always in pain. I haven't been able to lay flat in 2-3 years, I can't sleep in a bed unless I have like 15 pillows behind me holding me up at between a like a 70 degree angle. And even then I slide down and wake up flat and in so much pain, I've slept in a recliner end of a couch for years because of it, sleeping over somewhere is super hard. If I do lay flat then I'm stuck hunched over, I can only get around by crawling and my back is stuck straight which is the worst pain I've ever felt, it brings tears to my eyes. I've even had x-rays done of my back and it showed that nothing was wrong. I've also gotten so many shin splints.

The point is that I don't know when to worry or not, I'm such a medical mystery, sometimes they can prove that there is something weird but there's no explanation, and other times they can't even prove it except me saying that it hurts. But I'm a hypochondriac so I worry whenever anything happens. I've tried to tell myself not to worry about it, but then I get worried that the one time I ignore something, it could be really serious and add on to these things that have no explanation already. I'm 15 and I feel like I'm falling apart!

And another thing that I would like to mention is that someone will say something to me, like say my aunt tells me while we're at Walmart, that after we are going to Burlington Coat Factory (this actually happened, that's why I'm using it). I heard what she said perfectly fine, I heard it and comprehended it, so I replied with, "Okay, that'll be fun," Showing that I did in fact hear and comprehend not only that she told me something but that I know what she told me. Not even 5 minutes later, as we're about to pull into the place, "Oh hey, are we going to Burlington?" I completely forgot that anything was said to me about and that I answered, I had no recollection until someone tells me that we talked about it. I don't get it, I can completely understand something and then forget it not even five minutes later. I'm tired of people thinking that I didn't listen to them because I did and it's not my fault, and it scares me sometimes because this happens all too often, I've just started to brush it off to people saying, "Oh yeah, sorry I remember now," but in all reality it scares me a little, it's not just a once in a while thing, it happens at least once a day but usually more than once a day.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, any replies are appreciated.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Hypochondriac with actual health issues - January 19th 2012, 01:05 PM

My biggest question in this is why hasn't your doctor done anything? Have you tried going to your doctor? Can you change doctors if they're not helping you? Have they done x-rays/bone density scans??

It sounds like you've got a lot of things going on. Just because you're young doesn't mean you can't get these hip issues <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Hypochondriac with actual health issues - January 19th 2012, 02:24 PM

Hey Cheye, I agree with Lottie. You obviously have something more than just being 'paranoid' or however you would phrase that. Your doctor should try to figure out what's going on and if they don't, then try for a new doctor.

As for forgetting that....I'm not sure if that's something to worry about. I do that quite often. Sometimes it's lack of sleep. So it never completely registers. Or sometimes, I just forget. This is extremely common with me. A daily event.

Can't hurt to mention it to a doctor though. Hope you get some help soon hun!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Hypochondriac with actual health issues - January 19th 2012, 04:27 PM

I'm a medical mystery too. I've been going to doctors since I was 14 because of swollen optic nerves, and joint/muscle pain. They have no idea what's wrong with me so I gave up on going to the doctors and I live on pain medicine. I seriously suggest you fight for answers. Because once you turn 18 and you're on your own with insurance or copays (like me) it can get expensive so keep going and don't back down until you can live pain free. Just because you're young doesn't mean you can't have medical issues. You're obviously in pain and you deserve answers. <3

Closed Thread