TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

I cannot stop oversleeping. :( - February 14th 2012, 09:03 AM

Ugh, this is so annoying!! I just woke up and it's ten to ten. My Italian class starts in an hour. I have now missed seven classes out of 9. They haven't all been from oversleeping but this is getting to be a fucking ridiculous problem.

I'm used to having fairly normal college starts like 9 and 10 most days with one or two 11/12 starts. But this semester I have ridiculous starts where it's 11 on MOn/Tue and 12 on Weds/Thurs (no college on Fridays.)

And I CANNOT get into a routine. I don't like the idea of waking up at 9 and 10 every day and then being awake til 2 in the morning, it feels like such a waste, especially because I can't study late at night. So I keep trying to make myself wake up earlier and it never works. And I keep waking up at different times every day, but if I'm a little bit tired and I don't have to get up I'll just end up going back to sleep. It's hard to explain because I don't really know why it's happening myself., I just need an earlier routine and to be able to be tired enough to fall asleep at nights....I really hate this. I don't hear my alarms any more: i can't remember them going off this morning ~ at 6.30 because |I wanted to get some stuff done this morning,but because I had a tiring day yesterday I must have gone back to sleep and now I've missed Italian and I'm already down to an E for attendance.

I've overslept more mornings this semester than I ever have in my two and a half years in university.

This is turning into a ranty thread but I'm so pissed off. HOW can I stop this?? how can I make myself wake up at half seven or 8 every morning and make use of my day when there's nothing to force me out of bed?????

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I cannot stop oversleeping. :( - February 14th 2012, 01:58 PM

Only thing I can think of is maybe going to bed earlier.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I cannot stop oversleeping. :( - February 14th 2012, 03:43 PM

Try to wear yourself out. Go take a run, exercise, exhaust yourself during the day as much as possible (without feeling like passing out!). Then go to sleep around 9 or 10pm so you get enough rest from the workout.

You may have to do this a couple times a day. Also, sleeping at the same time every night and waking up the same time EVERY day. EVERY day being 7 days a week. It takes anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks for our bodies to adjust to a new sleeping schedule, so if we sleep in on weekends, and wake up early on weedays...it's not giving our body what it needs.

Also, try getting multiple alarms or an alarm with multiple alarms and different alarm sounds. This is why I use my cellphone (usually 2 alarms) AND an alarm clock.

You should also keep a bed routine. Mine for example: At 9 we get pets food and water, 9:10/15 we get ourselves water. Brush teeth. Go to the bathroom. Lay in bed cuddling until 10pm, then lights out.

It helps your body recognize those actions as "Ok, I need to get tired now". And of course, no tv, computers, or phones (unless you aren't on it) in bed.

And if you can't sleep after 30minutes-an hour. GET UP. Some people argue to force yourself to sleep. But then you fret about the time. And then you don't sleep. So, get up. Read the dictionary. Read a philosophical book (unless you're interested in it). Bore yourself by reading something boring. It will make you tired. Return to bed after about 10-15 minutes. Try to sleep. Repeat as needed.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Pavan

Re: I cannot stop oversleeping. :( - February 14th 2012, 05:46 PM

I have a problem with getting to sleep so I try to force myself to get up. My beds so comfy I don't actually get up and end up falling asleep.

To wake up on a morning, I set 4 alarms each 15 minutes apart. It gives me an extra hour in bed from my first alarm and makes me feel better. Try having a routine in the morning, things you have to do. After 4 alarms you normally get so fed up of it going off that you get up. Exercise in the morning is always good. Whether its a 10 minute jog or some sit-ups or a more extensive one. It gets your adrenaline going and gets you ready for the day. And then you actually WANT a shower in the morning and that'll wake you up even more

What a shame, what a shame
To judge a life that you can't change
The choir sings, the church bells ring
So won't you give this man his wings?
What a shame to have to beg you to
See we're not all the same, what a shame

Last edited by Woo! Imagination xD; February 14th 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Misspellings that even I didn't understand
  Send a message via MSN to Woo! Imagination xD  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I cannot stop oversleeping. :( - February 14th 2012, 08:49 PM

Get multiple alarm clocks.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I cannot stop oversleeping. :( - February 17th 2012, 09:46 AM

Hi there

I agree with Kelly about a lot of things. Setting a routine is very important. Go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time too. I know I have to see 4 alarms off on my phone and they all go on to snooze three times each so I actually have around 27 alarms go off Crazy but I need it to make sure I get up!

My psychiatrist advised me to just not sleep at all for one night then the next night start a new sleeping routine so that it re-sets my body clock, you could try this.

Then the obvious avoid caffeine late ate night, avoiding eating too late, avoid stimulation, exersise in the day etc.

Hope this helps :-)
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread