TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Broken Angel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nikki

HELP! Adderall Stopped Working?!? - February 22nd 2012, 04:17 PM

I've been taking Adderall XR 30mg for a year. I also have Adderall 20mg "booster" pills that last about 4 hours. (taken only when I need to focus for a shorter time than the 8-12 hour)
I normally take Adderall XR once a day (in the morning) and it lasts until the evening. (note- I sometimes will only take it every other day or every 2 days because I do not want to develop a tolerance or addiction to it.)
I usually experience a high energy level, great focused concentration, boost of confidence and sociability, lack of appetite, dry mouth, and sore muscles.
Over the past year, the only thing I have found that affects the potency of Adderall for me is lack of sleep, however, I was still able to feel the effects until I had slept less than 5 hours in 2 days. (could go a while without sleep and it still work)
I didn't take it for about a month and a half while out of school. When I took it after this break, it worked like normal for about 3 weeks and I had all of the good and negative side effects as well. As of yesterday and today, it does not seem to be working. I instead feel almost in a daze kinda like when you don't get enough sleep. I'm not energized and not focused. I'm not confident and not social. I also haven't experienced lack of appetite, or dry mouth. Muscle soreness (tightness) is the only effect I've noticed. It's almost as though taking the Adderall puts me into this dazed state.
I haven't done anything different. I've been getting anywhere from 6-9 hours of sleep per night. I am eating the same types of food. I do not eat for an hour before taking Adderall to help it absorb. I am taking the same birth control and dosage of birth control and the same multivitamin gummies that I've been taking.
PLEASE HELP!!! Adderall has been the most helpful in concentrating in nursing school (LOTS of studying) and has been extremely beneficial in countering my social anxiety. I'm getting worried and desperate.
ANY ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS, HOME REMEDIES, EXPERIENCE, ETC. IS MORE THAN WELCOME!!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: HELP! Adderall Stopped Working?!? - February 22nd 2012, 08:04 PM

I would talk to your doctor about it. I was on medication that worked for me so well but them just stopped. Sometimes medicine just stops working. Or ask your doctor about Intuniv it can be taken along with other medicines to help you focus better and can definatly help with any form of anxiety.
Hope that helps. Message me if you have any questions or just want to talk

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: HELP! Adderall Stopped Working?!? - February 23rd 2012, 01:07 AM

Im not sure if mediciane just stop's working or its more you built a tolerance to it. Talk to your doctor maybe you can try a add on med or increase or lower your does to help.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: HELP! Adderall Stopped Working?!? - February 23rd 2012, 03:40 AM

You may have built up a tollerance. I don't know anything about Adderall but sometimes the body builds up tollerance to medications and a higher dose or new medication needs to be used in it's place.
It's something none of us here could really truly help you with, you would have to go talk to your prescribing doctor.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: HELP! Adderall Stopped Working?!? - February 23rd 2012, 03:45 AM

Adderall, and amphetamines in general, are pretty well known for "tolerance effects" -- i.e. a reduction in potency/effectiveness after long-term use. I can explain this more if you'd like, most people just get annoyed with my "brain jargon" lol

Having said that, I'm a bit surprised you're experiencing this after taking a break from the drug. Seems to me that, if anything, Adderall should be more effective after an abstinence period, not less. Have you been taking a higher dose these past weeks, or dosing more often than you used to?

How are your stress levels, diet, and exercise? Do you normally have worsened anxiety and concentration problems in the winter?

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread