TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Prepare to itch - headlice - February 25th 2012, 09:34 PM

Sorry If this makes you itch, but I kinda need some advice, I think I have headlice and I don't really wish to tell my mum due to it being embarrasing I've got the hedrin hair and scalp spray shampoo which I plan to do tomorrow whilst my parents are out but is there a way I check my own hair for lice ? And also does anyone know any natural repellents to stop them coming back, I don't want to keep striaghtening my hair as it's making my hair dry and limp and very dead. Does anyone have any suggestions as what I can do and how to stop them coming back ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 25th 2012, 10:21 PM

Ugh, I know how you feel, I had lice not that long ago. It really isn't fun. When I had lice I found out at school. The nurse checked my hair just by using gloves and pulling up a piece of my hair. I don't think it's all that hard to find them. They mostly live in the back of your scalp and behind your ears, so you should look there. If you do have them, there's a shampoo type thing called Nix. That's what the school nurse recommended for me. It comes with the shampoo and a lice comb, which you use to get the dead bugs out of your hair, and the eggs that they leave behind. The directions for the Nix stuff is easy to follow.

There's also this stuff I found that is leave in shampoo, it's called Lice R Gone. It worked really well, and it smells a lot better than the Nix. It's a natural solution so it's a bit better for your hair. If you want to use that instead you'll have to buy a comb separately. There's also spray, if you look at the store, that you can spray on your clothes and things like that to keep the lice away, and to kill them. Make sure you wash everything. It's a pain, but you have to be thorough with it or they won't go away, and you'll end up getting them again. This includes bed sheets and any clothes that you've worn during the period you think you have had them.

Something that made me feel better when I had them was that the nurse told me they actually like clean hair. They don't go for dirty hair, so it's safe to say that it's not your fault or because you don't take good care of yourself. Apparently it can happen to anyone.

Oh, and be warned that the process is really time consuming. When I used the Nix and the comb to get everything out of my hair, I was both disgusted and frustrated with how long it was taking. But like I said, you have to be really thorough. You might want to do some research on what the eggs look like so you can easily find them, because it took me a few tries (I had to get school approval in order to come back) to find them all.

Hope this helps, and good luck

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 25th 2012, 11:42 PM

Hey, the products listed all are supposed to work. One thing that worked for me as a kid was putting mayonnaise in my hair

It worked. Made everything slide right out.

Now, remember you will need to wash all bedding and keep any stuffed animals you might have and pillows in trash bags tied as tight as possible, otherwise the lice can move from bedding or any linens to the carpet and just keep moving (though it dies without a host after so long).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 26th 2012, 02:47 PM

I've used some hedrin 15 minuet spray gel headlice treatment I'm still a little itchy but its nothing like it was so I'm hoping the itching will soon stop! . Also is it dangerous to do it every 2-3 weeks ? As I work in a preschool and we often have cases / outbreaks of lice ? I have had lice a few times its more I didn't want my mum knowing I've had them again. Thanks I will try and find some of the repellent . My bed sheets need a wash as it is so this will be a good time for me to change them.

Videos team

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 26th 2012, 03:02 PM

Hedrin is made so you can use it as much as you need to and the lice won't become resistant.

The only issue I see for using it often is perhaps skin irritation or dryness. But, you could always try it out since it shouldn't be dangerous.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 26th 2012, 04:21 PM

true, yeah hopefully it won't cause too much damage or dryness. I've used hedrin before and it does seem to have worked this time too. one bottle seems to go a long way too.

Videos team

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 26th 2012, 06:48 PM

Lice aren't any fun. I had them about a year ago and what got rid of them was washing my hair, and then using a very very thin toothed comb and just combing them all out. I had to spend about an hour a day for a couple days doing that (its good to make sure they're all gone, just one lice and lay eggs and they can come back) and they were gone. And yeah, change your sheets and pillow cases often because they can live for a day or two without having a host.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 27th 2012, 08:51 PM

It's worked, I'm still a-bit itchy and but as itchy as I was. I'm going to repeat it in a few days time, also can head-lice be like a pyschological thing - you convince yourself you've got them and then you treat 'them' when they were not really there in the first place but because theres kids at work who have them you convince yourslef you have them ? I know the talk of headlice can make people itch, but can you actually convince youself you have them ? and for 'them' to go you have to treat them ?

Videos team

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 27th 2012, 09:09 PM

What I'd recommend is when you wash your hair, when you put the conditioner on it, go through your hair with a lice comb and see if you get any out. If you do it every so often, you can see if you've got them or not. That's how I did it when I was in school and there was often outbreaks, apparently the conditioner helps them slide out or something like that but it'll save you spending money on head lice medication and won't damage your hair/scalp.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Re: Prepare to itch - headlice - February 27th 2012, 09:33 PM

It could be psychological, but as Charlie said...use conditioner (or mayonnaise which isn't harmful to your hair either, but probably more expensive :P ) and use a lice comb. If you get a bunch of black dots, those are eggs. You should be able to see some adult lice in the comb as well.

Lice isn't something that's easy to miss! Also, usually lice starts out on the hairline, then go inwards. And you will often find red circles on your head where they have fed. Sometimes they could be open sores, or they could just feel like a bug bite.

Either way, definitely check to make sure you have them rather than just treating yourself. Saves you money, and time, and that grossed out feeling :P

Closed Thread