TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bonjour Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Devon Nicole

I cant put in contacts? - February 26th 2012, 03:41 AM

I went to the eye docter a couple days ago to get contacts but when I went to try them on I couldnt put them in. they said they coulnt let me get them until I put both of them in and take them out infront of the docter. I could get them to where they were the sides was touching my eye but everytime I tried to finish putting them on I would blink making the contact fall. I tried different positions and techniques and using more solution but nothing helped. after an hour of trying I had to leave. I came back today and tried for another hour and a half and nothing. does anyone have any suggestions? Im going back for one last try next week. When I googled it some sites mentioned a numming drop I could try? Has anyone used those? any help is appreciated. Thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 26th 2012, 05:04 AM

Try looking up, putting the contact to your eye near the bottom of your iris (the colored part), then remove your finger and look down. That's how my mother and sister do it. If thats what you've been trying, I put it straight on my eye, looking directly at my finger.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ThornedRose Offline
You're scrumdiddlyumptious!
Average Joe

Name: Sydney

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 26th 2012, 05:39 AM

Hi!
I've been wearing contacts since I was in 4th grade and had to go through the exact same situation. Like Maloo said, try looking up. I always look to the far right corner. Once you get it in close your eyelid very slowly, if an air bubble is under it it's likely to fold or fall out if you close it too quickly. Then tap all around your eyelid to get any air bubbles out. If it folds every time you blink even after taping, you may have it inside out. Some contacts have a very small 123 written on them and if you can read the 123 correctly when you place it on you finger then it is the right way. Hope that helps. Good luck!!

Enjoy the little things in life, for someday you will realize they were the big things.
  Send a message via Yahoo to ThornedRose  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 26th 2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post
Try looking up, putting the contact to your eye near the bottom of your iris (the colored part), then remove your finger and look down. That's how my mother and sister do it. If thats what you've been trying, I put it straight on my eye, looking directly at my finger.
Agreed. It takes practice, it took me a while to get it right as well. Look up, & try inserting your contacts from the bottom of your eye. If you have to, hold your eye lid open. Once you have it in, make sure it is smoothed down before blinking so you don't blink it out of your eye. If that makes sense.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 26th 2012, 06:57 AM

Well there's like a bazillion different ways to put it in. I'll just tell you what works for me. I get the contact and put it on my left hand index finger also known as the pointer finger whatever lol hahaa then I get my right hand and with the middle finger on my right hand I hold open my top eyelid and with my left hand middle finger I hold down the bottom eyelid meanwhile the contact is still on the pointer finger on the left hand. Then insert the contact in directly into the right eye looking straight ahead. Pulling open the eyelids and holding them with the middle fingers prevents from blinking. So if you tried to blink you can't. Repeat for left eye except put contact on right pointer finger and use middle fingers to still pull and hold eyelids.

Also, if you do insert the contact and it hurt like there's a crumb or something take out the contact and flip it inside out, wash with solution water. Try again. I have faith in you. You CAN do this

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am. -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 26th 2012, 03:10 PM

The numbing drops aren't available over the counter and should not be prescribed for long-term use. So you could ask your doctor to numb them in the office while you are trying, but that won't solve the issue when you get the contacts home.

I remember mine kept folding and falling out when I first tried contacts. I also just looked up, placed the contact near my pupil, moved my pupil down, and then shut my eye slowly. It would then basically slide right over my pupil and voila.

It's alright if you can't get the contacts yet. You should try looking into a mirror at home and putting your finger up close to your eye. Figure out a position where you don't blink as badly. It's usually more of a reaction/reflex mind thing, so if you practice and realize there is nothing wrong, it might be a bit easier then.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bonjour Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Devon Nicole

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 26th 2012, 11:38 PM

ok thanks everyone. I'll try those suggestions next week.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Mags Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 27th 2012, 01:08 AM

Just keep practicing! I had trouble at first too! Keep trying and eventually you'll get it, trust me. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to wear contacts because they were so difficult for me, but now I can put them in thoughtlessly.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 27th 2012, 02:00 AM

Definetely try looking up, unless you have to wear a toric lens in that case look down.
What I would do is put the contact on the pad of your finger and with your other hand hold the top of your eyelid up and then with the hand that has the contact hold the bottom eyelid and then try to put it in.

It's what I have to do to get mine in. Hope I helped!

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: I cant put in contacts? - February 27th 2012, 04:23 AM

I had regular contacts then i talked to my eye doctor and he said my eyes are really small, so he gave me a new prescription for a smaller softer contact. Ask your eye doctor if you can have a softer lens, it helps a lot!

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

Closed Thread