TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Unable to run. :\ - February 28th 2012, 12:14 AM

Well, yeah.

I can't run.

When I was about eight/nine years old, I ran the bare handlebar of a bike into my stomach. (The bike was missing the hand grips, and so it was basically a metal pole). It thankfully didn't break skin, but it hurt pretty damned badly. All these years, I've thought it was normal for my stomach to hurt like I did for years, but I was holding my stomach the other day after playing the Wii for about ten minutes with my little brother and sister, and as it turns out, the little hard knot that's remained there all these years from ramming that bicycle hand into my stomach is what has been causing all that pain, which is definitely not normal. This basically kills the idea of running track again this year.

I'm laid up for a month, until I can get to a doctor to get it checked out. My mom's trying to get me an appointment earlier, but in the meantime, it seems like I'm eating a ton of unnecessary food that I noramlly don't take in. Usually, that wouldn't be a problem, because I'd run the extra calories right off again. But I can't run, and it seems like I'm getting hungrier.

I ran about a half-mile today, because I can't stand myself if I don't move a bit. Even that, I ended up standing there, leaning against a tree while my little brother tried to get me to keep up with him. Which I did, resulting in more pain. I went inside the house, laid on the hardwood floor without a pillow or anything, and took a nap with my cat, who as usual insisted on pestering me until I started smiling and petting her again. She's a lifesaver.

Basically, how do I keep from gaining weight while I'm laid up and unable to do anything? I'd like to get a little more toned for the summer (wouldn't we all?), and this is sabotaging me terribly.

More to the point: Does anyone know any free, easy diet methods that I'll be able to follow for the course of the following month, just until I'm up and moving again? I can't count calories, because I actually eat more when I count calories. Also, are there some sort of exercises that are very light intensity that I might be able to do until I'm back on my feet? I may be (thankfully) getting my hands on a treadmill for free, so bear that in mind while you're thinking.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Unable to run. :\ - February 28th 2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldora View Post
Well, yeah.

I can't run.

When I was about eight/nine years old, I ran the bare handlebar of a bike into my stomach. (The bike was missing the hand grips, and so it was basically a metal pole). It thankfully didn't break skin, but it hurt pretty damned badly. All these years, I've thought it was normal for my stomach to hurt like I did for years, but I was holding my stomach the other day after playing the Wii for about ten minutes with my little brother and sister, and as it turns out, the little hard knot that's remained there all these years from ramming that bicycle hand into my stomach is what has been causing all that pain, which is definitely not normal. This basically kills the idea of running track again this year.

I'm laid up for a month, until I can get to a doctor to get it checked out. My mom's trying to get me an appointment earlier, but in the meantime, it seems like I'm eating a ton of unnecessary food that I noramlly don't take in. Usually, that wouldn't be a problem, because I'd run the extra calories right off again. But I can't run, and it seems like I'm getting hungrier.

I ran about a half-mile today, because I can't stand myself if I don't move a bit. Even that, I ended up standing there, leaning against a tree while my little brother tried to get me to keep up with him. Which I did, resulting in more pain. I went inside the house, laid on the hardwood floor without a pillow or anything, and took a nap with my cat, who as usual insisted on pestering me until I started smiling and petting her again. She's a lifesaver.

Basically, how do I keep from gaining weight while I'm laid up and unable to do anything? I'd like to get a little more toned for the summer (wouldn't we all?), and this is sabotaging me terribly.

More to the point: Does anyone know any free, easy diet methods that I'll be able to follow for the course of the following month, just until I'm up and moving again? I can't count calories, because I actually eat more when I count calories. Also, are there some sort of exercises that are very light intensity that I might be able to do until I'm back on my feet? I may be (thankfully) getting my hands on a treadmill for free, so bear that in mind while you're thinking.
Talk to your doctor about appetite sup-presents, it's one of the best ways to quickly lose weight, those can really help, and swimming or biking is really great! I do 12 miles on the bike every day or two, and try lifting weights to help increase muscular endurance, low weight high reps is the way to go.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Unable to run. :\ - February 28th 2012, 02:19 PM

Are you sure you are getting hungrier and not just getting hungrier because you KNOW you are not able to exercise? So, I'm trying to say nicely, 'are you sure it's not all in your head?" Which I hope you understand I'm not accusing you nor am I trying to be rude. I just don't know how else to phrase it

But, I know if I know I don't have pudding, and I haven't wanted it until I discover I don't have it. It's in my head. But I'm not craving it like mad.

Either way, I don't know of any diets off the top of my head for your condition. The best thing you could do is to call the doctor's office and ask if they can give you advice over the phone.

Also, why haven't you gone to the ER? Are you not in enough pain to go? If it's as painful as you say, I think an ER is appropriate, and quicker. It should not take a month to get into your doctors for something this concerning.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Unable to run. :\ - February 28th 2012, 08:44 PM

I'm just as confused as Kelly is over why you haven't made a trip to the ER. Since it was a fast-moving blunt metal object it is quite possible for internal injuries. I expect the doctor would recommend you go to the hospital for necessary examination, probably a form of endoscopy and imaging. It's also possible the pain and "knot" is unrelated to the bicycle incident simply because of the long time span, such as issues with your gall bladder, appendicitis, etc... .

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: Unable to run. :\ - March 5th 2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
I'm just as confused as Kelly is over why you haven't made a trip to the ER. Since it was a fast-moving blunt metal object it is quite possible for internal injuries. I expect the doctor would recommend you go to the hospital for necessary examination, probably a form of endoscopy and imaging. It's also possible the pain and "knot" is unrelated to the bicycle incident simply because of the long time span, such as issues with your gall bladder, appendicitis, etc... .

It was when I was in fourth grade. I'm now in tenth. It has hurt ever since I was little, but I thought it was just because I was out of shape, and tried to push past it, despite the pain of it. Over the years, it's only gotten larger and worse. The doctor thinks that it might have caused a hernia, and I have to wait until an appointment opens up -- or until about mid-May -- to get it looked at by someone else, and I'll possibly have to have surgery on it. Thus, I'm unable to run.

1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Unable to run. :\ - March 5th 2012, 11:09 AM

Well, in response to your actual question, since you are basically on bed rest, there isn't a diet that would be healthy to keep you from gaining weight.

The best thing I can tell you is to eat healthily. Some people like to do a veggie or fruit smoothie while on bed rest. At least they are eating healthily and it's not like eating a cheeseburger!

Other than that, I don't have much advice. Hope you get this figured out soon!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Re: Unable to run. :\ - March 5th 2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post
Well, in response to your actual question, since you are basically on bed rest, there isn't a diet that would be healthy to keep you from gaining weight.

The best thing I can tell you is to eat healthily. Some people like to do a veggie or fruit smoothie while on bed rest. At least they are eating healthily and it's not like eating a cheeseburger!

Other than that, I don't have much advice. Hope you get this figured out soon!
Thank you. I've been trying to eat as healthily as possible, and I've been restraining myself to mainly fruits and vegetables and fish on occassion, so, hopefully I'll be able to at least maintain the weight I'm at right now. I'm developing quite a taste for fruit smoothies, lol.

Closed Thread