TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Leg Injuries - February 29th 2012, 09:36 PM

I've been running a lot in the gym for the past 2 or so weeks trying to get my "edge" back.

Sometimes, and with very little pattern to it I get these pains in either my left or right leg (NEVER both at the same time).

Right leg pain seems to happen more on weight-intensive workouts such as actual squats. Left leg pain more on cardio workouts. Well today I was doing running mostly (cardio) and my right leg hurt anyway so whatever. It's almost random.

My right leg hurts towards the bottom, about halfway between the kneecap and ankle, though slightly more towards the ankle, and on the side of my leg facing my left leg. My left leg generally hurts more around the ankle (not the ankle itself though)... hurts at the Achilles tendon.

I've been to my local GP (doctor) about it, about a year ago (I've had this before). He sucks. They all suck. There's this "postcode lottery" thing in the UK and it's still a problem. Fuck them. If you're lucky you end up in a region where healthcare receives more attention, if you're not then you end up in a region where it receives less attention, and they hide behind a mask of excuses not to diagnose you or give you the proper care you need, because it costs them more to do their job right. I feel like spitting at them sometimes when I see them. So going to see the doctor right now is useless. I got a little leaflet from them with some stretching exercises which I knew already, and two of them were even illustrated wrong lol. I'll go see a decent GP when I'm back in London on holiday or something.

Pls anyone who knows what might be wrong and how to help this, I'd appreciate it. I don't think it's shin splits, that usually happens to "beginners". It's worth mentioning that I had a severe knee injury once on my right leg, and also a bad car accident which affected my right leg around the hip region. Personally, I don't think these injuries are connected with what I'm having right now.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Leg Injuries - February 29th 2012, 10:49 PM

Just a few questions. First, do the leg areas hurt when you touch them? Second, is there any redness, swelling or feeling of warmth? Third, is the pain the same as that of soreness or from lactic acid build-up? Fourth, do the legs hurt if you are resting or standing up doing nothing strenuous? Fifth, when either leg hurts, do the feet also hurt or could you describe where the pain is localized (if it is)? I ask this because given your description, there the flexor hallucis longus and flexor digitorum longus muscles that contract to bend the toes. There are other muscles in the region you described but I'm trying to narrow it down. For example, the soleus muscle is part of the lower gastrocnemius muscle (fancy word for calf muscle) and their stiffness contributes to shin splints. I'm focusing at the level of the muscle because I wouldn't expect the pain to be due to nerve damage or blood clots. Since you work out, there are quite a few possibilities of what it could be and each has different common symptoms, such as bursitis.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Leg Injuries - March 1st 2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Just a few questions. First, do the leg areas hurt when you touch them? Second, is there any redness, swelling or feeling of warmth? Third, is the pain the same as that of soreness or from lactic acid build-up? Fourth, do the legs hurt if you are resting or standing up doing nothing strenuous? Fifth, when either leg hurts, do the feet also hurt or could you describe where the pain is localized (if it is)? I ask this because given your description, there the flexor hallucis longus and flexor digitorum longus muscles that contract to bend the toes. There are other muscles in the region you described but I'm trying to narrow it down. For example, the soleus muscle is part of the lower gastrocnemius muscle (fancy word for calf muscle) and their stiffness contributes to shin splints. I'm focusing at the level of the muscle because I wouldn't expect the pain to be due to nerve damage or blood clots. Since you work out, there are quite a few possibilities of what it could be and each has different common symptoms, such as bursitis.
1. My right leg yes, I gotta press though. I find if I press on the calf muscle from behind even lightly but spread over the area... it can hurt like shit.
2. None of that
3. Nothing to do with lactic acid I don't think
4. Right leg can hurt for several hours after, sometimes starts up again when I'm just doing normal walking. Left leg usually gets better overnight. Right leg pain is more persistent and frequent. Left leg less persistent.
5. No foot pain at all - right leg feels like a muscle pain to be honest

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; March 1st 2012 at 04:58 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Leg Injuries - March 1st 2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
1. My right leg yes, I gotta press though. I find if I press on the calf muscle from behind even lightly but spread over the area... it can hurt like shit.
2. None of that
3. Nothing to do with lactic acid I don't think
4. Right leg can hurt for several hours after, sometimes starts up again when I'm just doing normal walking. Left leg usually gets better overnight. Right leg pain is more persistent and frequent. Left leg less persistent.
5. No foot pain at all - right leg feels like a muscle pain to be honest
At the calf muscle, there are several nerves that innervate, so it is quite possible the calf muscle is affected causing pressure on the nerves. If it's exactly at the back of the calf, then it's the sucral nerve, which has many smaller branches that innervate the sides of the calf muscle and soleus muscle. It does sound like muscle damage, and the tendons and ligaments are intact. The left leg may be muscle damage to a lesser extent, although I'm unsure if it could be lactic acid build-up because you said the pain goes away once the leg can recover overnight.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Leg Injuries - March 1st 2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
At the calf muscle, there are several nerves that innervate, so it is quite possible the calf muscle is affected causing pressure on the nerves. If it's exactly at the back of the calf, then it's the sucral nerve, which has many smaller branches that innervate the sides of the calf muscle and soleus muscle. It does sound like muscle damage, and the tendons and ligaments are intact. The left leg may be muscle damage to a lesser extent, although I'm unsure if it could be lactic acid build-up because you said the pain goes away once the leg can recover overnight.
What sort of 'muscle damage'? I'm aware of cramps, torn muscles, I don't really know much about this stuff. What do you think it could be?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Leg Injuries - March 2nd 2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
What sort of 'muscle damage'? I'm aware of cramps, torn muscles, I don't really know much about this stuff. What do you think it could be?
Your left leg seems minor, so it could be as simple as an over-exerted muscle or possibly torn but not completely torn in half. Cramps would be a possibility but only for the left leg. The right leg would have a greater muscle tear and at most, although doubtful, tendonitis as inflammation of the tendons. This is more likely for the right leg because of the exercises you mentioned (i.e. squats) where any twisting motion, likely accidental can cause damage. There is also muscle strain as over-stretching of the muscle and it can be categorized into 3 groups based on the extent of the damage. Grade 1 is the most mild strain and takes less than 1 month to heal. Grade 2 involves either more muscle groups or a larger area of a particular muscle that has greater damage and takes roughly more than 1 month to heal. Grade 3 is the most extensive where the muscle has completely ruptured and usually requires surgery. I would say your left leg would fit into grade 1 and your right leg would fit into either the upper limits of grade 1 or within grade 2 but certainly not in grade 3. The concern here is you continue to exercise so it would take longer to heal as opposed to not exerting the muscle. Some people may find relief in using a supportive brace which you can buy at any local pharmacy. If you buy one, at first you can wear it longer but after a week or so, decrease the duration even if there still is some pain because you don't want to totally isolate the muscle.

I'm hesitant as to whether there is tendon damage because it truly is something that has to be assessed in-person. Last year I fractured my arm, damaged the tendons and tore the muscles in my right arm, back of the hand and wrist, causing it to swell up like a balloon almost three times the size of my left arm, hand and wrist. The key feature though was I had a very restricted movement because any attempt to rotate the arm, flex the elbow or any basic activity felt like within the arm, there was something pulling back and felt disconnected. It would have been on the upper end of grade 2 plus damage to multiple tendons. If you have any similar feeling, such as trying to move your leg and feel there is something disconnected or pulling back, then tendon damage is quite likely.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Leg Injuries - March 2nd 2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Your left leg seems minor, so it could be as simple as an over-exerted muscle or possibly torn but not completely torn in half. Cramps would be a possibility but only for the left leg. The right leg would have a greater muscle tear and at most, although doubtful, tendonitis as inflammation of the tendons. This is more likely for the right leg because of the exercises you mentioned (i.e. squats) where any twisting motion, likely accidental can cause damage. There is also muscle strain as over-stretching of the muscle and it can be categorized into 3 groups based on the extent of the damage. Grade 1 is the most mild strain and takes less than 1 month to heal. Grade 2 involves either more muscle groups or a larger area of a particular muscle that has greater damage and takes roughly more than 1 month to heal. Grade 3 is the most extensive where the muscle has completely ruptured and usually requires surgery. I would say your left leg would fit into grade 1 and your right leg would fit into either the upper limits of grade 1 or within grade 2 but certainly not in grade 3. The concern here is you continue to exercise so it would take longer to heal as opposed to not exerting the muscle. Some people may find relief in using a supportive brace which you can buy at any local pharmacy. If you buy one, at first you can wear it longer but after a week or so, decrease the duration even if there still is some pain because you don't want to totally isolate the muscle.

I'm hesitant as to whether there is tendon damage because it truly is something that has to be assessed in-person. Last year I fractured my arm, damaged the tendons and tore the muscles in my right arm, back of the hand and wrist, causing it to swell up like a balloon almost three times the size of my left arm, hand and wrist. The key feature though was I had a very restricted movement because any attempt to rotate the arm, flex the elbow or any basic activity felt like within the arm, there was something pulling back and felt disconnected. It would have been on the upper end of grade 2 plus damage to multiple tendons. If you have any similar feeling, such as trying to move your leg and feel there is something disconnected or pulling back, then tendon damage is quite likely.
I'm sick of waiting for this stuff to heal and these injuries to "go away". I'm not the couch potato type.

Left leg has not given me any problems for 2 weeks now. Right leg still aches... it's a sort of pain like if you get kicked or punched dead in the centre of your muscle, like a "dead arm" or "dead leg". As if it is bruised I suppose. From what you describe I don't think it'd damaged tendons, more pure muscle damage of whatever kind.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Leg Injuries - March 3rd 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I'm sick of waiting for this stuff to heal and these injuries to "go away". I'm not the couch potato type.

You can still exercise in the mean time, just avoid strenuous exercises, such as deadlifts or squats with weights. If there are exercises that do not bother your leg, try those, otherwise do exercises for other bodily areas. It's not an answer you like but
a doctor would tell you the same.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Leg Injuries - March 3rd 2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
You can still exercise in the mean time, just avoid strenuous exercises, such as deadlifts or squats with weights. If there are exercises that do not bother your leg, try those, otherwise do exercises for other bodily areas. It's not an answer you like but [/color]a doctor would tell you the same.
It is mostly running that provokes the pain in the right leg. Today it was considerably better though, and ironically today was probably one of the hardest runs I've done in a while.

Like I said I've had this before, it comes and it goes almost totally randomly, although usually it's a problem when I exercise, but not always. It doesn't seem like any length of time will help it heal and go away completely... which just makes me mad sometimes. Hence why I still hit the gym regardless of it, because from past experience, I'm not convinced at all that it will ever go away totally.

Closed Thread