TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Insomnia - help? - March 3rd 2012, 01:57 AM

This has been going on since I was born, according to my mom. Apparently when I was a baby, I could never sleep at night but I'd sleep during the day. As I got older, I slept at night but not for long and as I get older I get to bed later and sleep less. For example, when I was about 10 I would fall asleep at 12 and wake up at maybe 6. I would still wake up about 3 to 7 times during the night, and get a total of maybe 5-6 hours of sleep. Now that I'm 16, I can get to bed by 1 if I'm lucky, but it's normally not until 2 or 3 in the morning and sometimes even later. Sometimes I fall asleep at 2, I'll wake up around 4, fall asleep 15 minutes later, wake up at like 5:30, fall back asleep, and wake up for good at 7.

I am exhausted almost everyday. I find myself nodding off in school, but not enough to really make me fall asleep. Sometimes when I get home, I'll sleep for an hour and all. But when it's time to go to bed, I feel exhausted and so sleepy but no matter how tired I am, I can't sleep until later. I just can't. Help, please?

Please don't suggest turning on or off a light, sleeping with/without a tv, with or without music, or drinking decaffinated hot tea before bed because I've tried all of this for years and nothing helps.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 3rd 2012, 05:03 AM

I know something that helped me is melatonin.
It is something that your brain produces but when it doesn't produce enough, you can take the pill form of it to help. They are really small and help really well.
Hope this helps.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 3rd 2012, 06:31 AM

Melatonin is very helpful. Its basically like taking a vitamin because its something you already have in you, but insomniacs have less of it than they need.
I have to use it as well because otherwise I don't sleep well. You just take it about an hour before you go to bed and it helps you fall asleep and stay asleep. Its worth a try

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 3rd 2012, 07:32 AM

I've heard that blue light from TV/computer within an hour or 2 before bed can simulate sunlight and trick your body into thinking it's day and you should be awake. my avoid the screens a little before bed?

RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Dylan

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 3rd 2012, 07:50 AM

Every night, lay in bed and pick up a book. I don't know the science behind it, but I swear it helps. Read 15-20 pages of an interesting book, and you'll be snoozing in no time. Also, books are fun. Yay knowledge!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 3rd 2012, 01:42 PM

I've tried reading, and there are some days I don't bother with a TV. Also, my mom won't let me get on any kind of pills. She said she thinks I just have my days and nights mixed up and that I have to get up earlier and go to bed sooner to get me back on track, but that's not the issue! I've tried that pleanty of times and my body refuses to go to bed.

But she doesn't want me relying on a pill for the rest of my life for sleep. The only time in my life I got sleep was when I was on my antidepressants but I'm off of them now due to side effects. But I've been asking her for some kind of pill for over a year now and she keeps saying no.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Dylan

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 3rd 2012, 04:48 PM

Sometimes, when I am having a lazy week, I find it hard to sleep because my body just isn't using up energy ^^

Maybe go for walks to exhaust your body? Or other non strenuous activities like it. Just a suggestion

(#8 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 3rd 2012, 07:19 PM

I go out and play with my dogs everyday. Even times during band camp I still don't get sleep, so it's not that I'm having a lazy day.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 6th 2012, 10:07 AM

You've tried all i would suggest (reading, excercise, no computer) so maybe it's time to see a doctor. They'll do their best, they may not even give you pills.
But lack of sleep can really damage you both phtsically and mentally.

Have you maybe figured what's affecting it? Periods can throw off sleep patterns. Stress, wrong foods, caffine 4 hours before bed, worry etc.

Also, try counting sheep. I swear that works!
A-Z of fruit, veg, animals, etc .. i'm asleep by Q most days

Good luck
x

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 9th 2012, 09:47 PM

I know I'm normally very stressed, so that might be why. My mom won't take me to a doctor.

I know what you mean by how it takes a toll on you. I know I can't think right and I remember once it got so bad I actually had this weird urge to kill someone (but that's done with right now and was a long time ago. I don't want to now. I can't even hurt someone!)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jessie Offline
Bookworm
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 11th 2012, 02:19 PM

Insomnia's a bitch.

Try physical exhaustion; go out and run for a mile, then do several pushups/crunches, and a bunch of other things. I swear tire yourself out before you go to bed and you'll be out like a light. But you have to completely push yourself; no holding back, just give all your energy into that activity. You'll be too tired to even think straight if you push yourself hard enough and you'll fall asleep much easier

I have insomnia troubles too; trust me this helps. Just remember to drink water. Also, if you take a warm bath right after, that feels good too; it's relaxing

(#12 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Insomnia - help? - March 11th 2012, 05:25 PM

Jessie, I have tried that before. Like mentioned above, a day with hours of nothing but marching and playing and pushups wear me out (band camp during the summer) and no matter how exhausted I am, I absolutely cannot sleep.

Last night, I was so tired to the point I felt like I couldn't keep my eyes open, and that was about 12:00 and I went to bed because I had to get up at 8. I ended up not getting to sleep until 5:00. (I ended up not getting up. I was supposed to get up to go to church, but my mom told me to get some sleep).

Closed Thread