TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BRod94 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

March 10th 2012, 04:03 PM

Lose X a week for 12 weeks by doing 20 miles a week (25% jogging/75% walking) along with diversified excercises like planks, situps, pushups, crunches, pilates, other stuff? (with a moderately good diet eating 5-6 small meals a day)

weigh [XX] and am 5'9" or will this not do anything to decrease my body fat percentage?

Thanks I really want them before college

Last edited by Ngikhona; March 11th 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Duplicate after merging threads.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 10th 2012, 04:44 PM

There's a problem with running and walking. Your body will get used to running and walking, so it'll decrease the effectiveness each time you do it...you'll either have to do more miles, or something else. You can do swimming as well. You can't just keep doing the same routine...there's cardio exercises out there, don't just settle on one because running/walking will only take you to a certain point when you aren't getting the best results (if at all).

Pilates would be a good exercise. Everything else is a good idea too. If it works out your abs, then it's a work out worth looking into. Hell, have sex more often as well. But you need to understand that you have to work out your entire body. Sure, it's nice to have six pack abs, but you don't want large tits or scrawny thighs. Not all girls/guys like a man with a six pack (some women like broad shoulders, some women like big thighs, etc). You have to work out your entire body and not just focus on one area.

You also need to understand that there's a certain amount of body fat that's healthy...don't think that you can get to 0% body fat and be considered healthy...because you'll probably be dead. Shoot for realistic goals...don't start working out thinking you're Mr. Hotshot cause you know what planks are and shit and try shooting for six packs before college...I'm sure it could be done, but you have to take it slow and effectively. That includes your psychological health as well. Don't be working out 24/7 expecting to do all this stuff and find yourself stressed out and not know why...working out should be fun and rewarding...not stressful. When you work out, there's gradual increase...meaning that you don't see results until certain increments...so there's no need to rush into things because the results are slow and steady.

If you eat healthy by consuming the right nutrients, small meals throughout the day, work out 3 times a week for 30 minutes doing upper body work outs, lower, and cardio...you may or may not have a six pack, but you'll feel good about your body...you'll be muscular, healthy, and better overall...which will give you the confidence you need to get girls in college...the six pack alone won't get you a woman. It's the confidence behind it.

Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 10th 2012, 04:53 PM

You'd probably be better off doing 40 miles of jogging a week (that's 100% jogging)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Formerly known as Ryan.
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 10th 2012, 06:21 PM

I agree with Brandon.

Weight training can be extremely rewarding, as well... you can get definition with intense workouts once or twice a week. Intensity is better than quantity. By intense, I mean hard work and lots of sweat. Take breaks between sprints/reps/etc. as you need to, but never take more than 10 seconds. You build mental strength as well as physical, and it's overall far more rewarding. Push yourself, but know your limits. That doesn't mean you should stop when you feel tired. Find something you enjoy and do it for a week or so, then switch to something else. Keep working different muscle groups, stay hydrated, get enough sleep, and you should see results.

Do take things step by step. It's easy to get caught up and get tired of eating right and working out and slipping back to where you are now. Eat small meals, like you said, because it keeps your metabolism up and that's extremely important when losing weight.

Most importantly, don't give up on yourself. We tend to be our own worst enemies. Good luck!

RYAN.
At your service.

We grow and gain sapience and we learn what's important.

We were meant to live for so much more; have we lost ourselves somewhere we live inside?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tyr. Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 10th 2012, 08:23 PM

Why do you want six pack abs?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BRod94 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 10th 2012, 10:56 PM

thanks dude Ill do that instead

(#7 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 10th 2012, 11:15 PM

You could also try this thing my softball coach makes us do, it's called two minute abs. Look it up! It burns like hell. lol

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
BRod94 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 11th 2012, 12:35 AM

Brandon- yeah I swim sometimes too, just more out of the way then jogging (atleast in the recent) I'll try alternating more, could I combat what you were talking about by just doing more miles or speeding up my pace? I think it might be realistic (atleast somewhat) because I can see the outlines of my abs. Would you still say I need more time? I dont want to get ahead of myself unneccesarily but yeah I hope I can get them before I start in college.

Ryan- Thanks I'm trying to find a gym partner after schools no luck so far. You think I should do heavier weights instead of more reps then? Thanks dude.

Yogi-
1. to be healthier
2. to challenge myself
3. confidence
4. women

Thanks everyone so far I did 5 miles today.
Anyone know any excercises I should do to work my shoulders, thighs, calfs, glutes, biceps or triceps?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 11th 2012, 03:05 AM

So, I posted on the other one that was by you and the same title. But..
Try two minute abs. I'm not sure what everything in it is called, but you can google it I'm sure.

Hope I helped!

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
BRod94 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 12th 2012, 01:19 AM

two minute abs? Sounds intense I'll look it up and do it tomorrow after school. Thanks you all helped alot up to 8 miles since yesterday

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 12th 2012, 02:48 AM

Why do you want a six pack? If you are trying to impress someone, or if you are planning to use a six pack as an example of how macho you are, that's not very wise. Having a six pack doesn't mean your physically healthy. It just means you have strong abdomen muscles. Trying to set a goal of having a six pack in a months time is not a good idea. I'm not telling you to avoid exercising, just don't set your expectations too high. If you truly want one, be patient, find a good diet and exercise routine with good cardio workouts.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
BRod94 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 12th 2012, 03:00 AM

I want them because:

Like you said it doesnt necessarily mean that i am healthy but, it probably means i eat healthier than some others. I want it because it improves confidence and it is attractive. Most important though, I like challenges, and getting a six pack is a very tough challenge. I know it will take much longer than a month but before college is just the goal im not going to kill myself if i dont achieve it that early, but starting out i'm already close, my body fat % is low, I eat healthy, and my abs are visibly noticeable (just not as noticeable as my goal). Yes it is to impress others, but also myself. Thanks for the help though I appreciate it. and I think knowledge is more than half the battle lol good quote. Really good quote.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Is this a good way to get six pack abs for a 17 year old? - March 13th 2012, 05:12 PM

Keep in mind, getting a six pack does not mean losing fat. It just means tightening up your muscles/toning your body. Granted, you do lose some fat in the process.

I'm going to go ahead and close this since you have been given some wonderful advice. Hope it works for you!

Closed Thread