TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
confusedpuddle Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Sleep would be nice! - March 15th 2012, 01:06 AM

Hey
So I'm not quite sure how to put this but I might as well try!
I won't let myself go to sleep...I refuse to go to bed, I'm not sure if this is just sheer stupidity or laziness but no matter how badly it affects my life - even when I do get to bed in the early hours of the morning I will lie there restlessly or listen to music.
I'll have achy bones, be absolutely freezing and feel physically ill to a point but I still cannot bring myself to get into bed at a normalish time.
I've tried lavender pillows, scented oils, changing bed covers, memory foam mattresses, hypnosis tapes, breathing exercises, dolphin music black out curtains and so on.
It's not that I can't lie in for ages but it's just going to bed that I can't do... My heart sinks when I realise there's nothing left to separate today from tomorrow and the realisation that I'll have to get out of bed and start all over again - not a nice thought!
This means I'm exhausted through out the day, grouchy and unable to do any quality work - does anybody have any ideas on how I can force myself to sleep earlier than 2am every night?!
Sorry, I appreciate it's rather a weird question...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pug Princess Offline
Bug & Pug <3

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Sleep would be nice! - March 15th 2012, 02:33 AM

Well instead of looking at going to end as an end to your day, look at the positive sides so it doesn't seem as depressing. When you go to bed, you can lie down and get really comfy. Dreaming is great too, because you can have really good dreams.
Try and make yourself go to bed a little earlier at a time (10 minutes maybe?) and go from there. Even if the time comes and you're set on staying up, try and remember how you'll feel in the morning and hopefully that can motivate you to go to sleep.

~~~
HelpLINK Mentor & Project Advisor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Sleep would be nice! - March 15th 2012, 11:58 AM

Also, going to bed and lying awake isn't good. Because then when you get in bed, you dread lying there awake. As Nicole suggested, think of it as getting comfy and relaxing. A start to a new day. New adventures.

Also, if it's really bad then I suggest seeing a doctor so they can talk about sleep habits. If needed, they can prescribe something that will help you GET to sleep. These can be very helpful to start out with, then the doctor can slowly ween you off them and hope your body's clock understands a certain time or routine means it is time to get sleepy.

Closed Thread