TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

How to step up an exercise routine... - April 3rd 2012, 12:01 AM

... without wearing myself out?

I've been hiking/jogging around my farm for about a month now along with my usual belly dancing, trying to get myself back in shape again. All around the fenceline is about a mile, and it's through brambles and trees and over logs and under logs and basically everything else. I come to school with bruises all over my legs from running into things and falling flat on my face (lol), but I love it.

The good thing is, I can now jog the entire thing with only minimal effort. I've lost a little weight already; I never really ate much to begin with, so the exercise thrown in on top of that is really helping me lose weight at a quick pace that I'm comfortable with. I love it; I feel great, and I have energy I never had. Plus, it's hard on my legs because it's pretty much all straight up- or down- hill, so I can already see the difference in my muscle tone, which gives me heart because I can see that it's actually working.

The bad thing is, now that it's easy, I want something else to do along with it, because along with being easy, it's starting to get a little boring. I can't make it to the gym (the only one's twenty miles away), and my house is freezing cold, so I really don't want to do sit-ups and things. It's enough to do stretches. I need something that uses the muscles in my stomach more, but preferrably not something I have to sit/lay down to do.

Any ideas...?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: How to step up an exercise routine... - April 4th 2012, 01:47 PM

Squats work your entire body. The link is to explain how to do squats properly and the benefits of doing them.

Also, riding bicycles works your legs and stomach. Or using the wii to do some exercise games. Definitely should not replace actual exercise, but it is great still especially for something specific like wanting to tone your stomach.

Unfortunately, most ab exercises involve lying on your back. You shouldn't be too cold once you start the exercises though. If you are doing them right, you'll be hot and sweaty :P

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How to step up an exercise routine... - April 5th 2012, 03:27 PM

To give an incredibly simple answer, just up the workload. Run another half mile or add sprints to the running before, during, or after. Gradually increase the amount of work you do in each session. You could pick some of those logs and use them as weightlifting implements even. Eventually you'll get used to that and will need to step it up further the more "in-shape" you get. The key is gradual progression.

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: How to step up an exercise routine... - April 7th 2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choose View Post
To give an incredibly simple answer, just up the workload. Run another half mile or add sprints to the running before, during, or after. Gradually increase the amount of work you do in each session. You could pick some of those logs and use them as weightlifting implements even. Eventually you'll get used to that and will need to step it up further the more "in-shape" you get. The key is gradual progression.

This is a good answer. Alex pretty much covered what I was going to say.

I will add that you could look into hanging leg raises as an abdominal exercise the doesn't require you to be laying down. If you can find a bar or something to hang from.

~Cody

Normal User

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Breathe~me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Janine

Re: How to step up an exercise routine... - April 7th 2012, 07:18 AM

FLOOR EXERCISES- Squats , lunges, push-ups ( commando or girls ones ) , sit-ups , bicycle position , bridges , planks , pull-ups etc.
YOGA & PILATES

JOGGING in the morning ( between 15 minutes & 45 minutes )
intense Cardio - if your in the mood ( boxing,swimming , sprinting , sports /soccer/football etc. )
Strength Building - If you feel in the mood ( weights ,bowling, push ups etc. )
It really depends are you planning on building muscle and abs etc . ( then do strength building , yoga , Pilates and floor exercises .
If you plan on becoming leaner and more skinny ( dropping a size or a few ) you can do lots of cardio , yoga , Pilates and consider adjusting your eating habits.

~ Words scar, Rumors destroy and bullies kill ~
~ I'm just another nobody.
~ You can't tell how much suffering is on a face that's always smiling </3
~ Be my friend.
hold me.
wrap me up.
unfold me.
I am small and needy.
Warm me up and breathe me.

❤❤❤
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe to me on Youtube <3 http://www.youtube.com/user/xJustAnotherNobodyx1