TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 13th 2012, 10:08 PM

I have ocd of unwanted thoughts that just comes up in my mind it's not nice thoughts it's horrible ones like death and that right now it's death at the moment. It does get on my case allot and i just hate it i know i'm the only one who can control my thoughts but you can't help to think you know. Now i have thoughts about salts now. I might of used allot of salt in my dinner once or twice because i think they need more salt in it but now i'm abit concern that what will happen to you if you put to much salt in your dinner and eat it would you die of it? i know it sounds silly asking this questions but this is where my odd, weird thoughts come in my mind.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 13th 2012, 10:45 PM

You would have to put a ton of salt in your dinner to die from it (it would be inedible). Or you would have had to have started dinner very dehydrated.

If you're that worried, drink a glass of water before you eat and add a maximum of a teaspoon of salt to your dinner (which should be plenty).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 13th 2012, 10:54 PM

Putting excessive salt on your food every single meal is dangerous. High sodium levels can cause heart and blood pressure problems. However once in a while or putting very little won't hurt.I wouldn't worry about it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 13th 2012, 11:55 PM

Hun, at your age, it would be fairly impossible to OD on salt. Young kidneys are very effective at moderating excessive salt and excreting it harmlessly thru the urine.

I hope you're in therapy and talking to a doc about these thoughts, though. If you are, bring these concerns up next time. And if you're not, please tell an adult so you can get to a doc who can help make these unwanted thoughts go away.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 14th 2012, 02:24 AM

It's not really possible to die of doing this every now and then. Like Brittany said, doing it with every single meal would cause problems, but doing it on occasion isn't really bad.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 14th 2012, 06:02 AM

Doing it every once in a while won't cause any problems. But, if you do this all the time for every meal, it could cause serious health problems later in life. Just watch your salt intake and you should be just fine.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 14th 2012, 04:33 PM

As others said, this should not be a concern for you at this age. If you use A LOT of salt all the time for years on end, it can cause arteries to become clogged and cause heart and other problems.

But if you are using a teaspoon of salt a day, on a regular basis, you shouldn't worry. Still not that healthy :P but shouldn't cause problems.

Last edited by escape_thereal_world; April 16th 2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: fixed measurement

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 14th 2012, 07:05 PM

Putting salt in your dinner might dehydrate you a bit, so if you're worried, just drink an extra glass of water. Your kidneys are really good at filtering out excess salt. Guidelines say you should aim to eat no more than 1 teaspoon of salt per day, which is loads really. As long as you're not eating more than that regularly, and you're drinking enough water (around 2 litres a day is recomended), I'm sure you will be fine. If it's really soncerning you, maybe you could make an appointment with a nurse at your doctors surgery to talk about healthy eating and they can give you more info on how much salt you should be eating.
Hope this helps
Ella

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 14th 2012, 08:25 PM

Okay thanks people.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 18th 2012, 05:13 PM

You'd have to dump an entire box of salt into a meal for it to be bad for you.
There CAN be negative side effects to having way to much salt in your diet. Like water retention, dehydration, I dunno, there are a lot of them. But you'd have to be eating A LOT of salt for it to be a problem, like what ever amount of salt usually comes in like spaghetti and cookies, and even adding a bit extra here and there isn't going to harm you. As long as you keep a healthy diet and eat things like nuts, water, fruit, veggies, dairy, meat etc, (soy or lactose free substitutions where need be) basically a good healthy diet, it'll ensure that things like salt are broken down AND by eating a lot of other types of fruit you'll be ensuring that you sodium levels are more normal (no one puts salt in their hot cereal or grapefruit). It's ok to have a slightly higher in sodium diet than "normal" but for it to actually cause noticeable health problems you'd be using A LOT of salt (and I mean a lot, like an extra teaspoon over what was already the "normal" level for a mean on a plate, I don't mean adding an extra teaspoon to a whole pot of spaghetti, adding that much to single plate is sooo excessive)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 21st 2012, 01:24 AM

The salt itself can't kill you. Sure you might be dehydrated, but unless you have a serious disorder you'd solve that by dirnking water.

However over the long term excess salts will contribute to high blood pressure and cholesterol which will kill you.

You mentioned you feel that you "need more salt". People do need salt in their diets, however there's no reason for you to be added more, average foods such as crackers, chips, bread, spices, anykind of packaged food or drink and meat all contain both natural salt and salts added by the companies that sell them so added excess isn't necessary for health.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Can you die if you put to much salt in your dinner - April 21st 2012, 01:28 AM

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread since there have been several good replies.

OP, message me and we can discuss it if you want this reopened.

Closed Thread