TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Drink 'N Smoke (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t154229-drink-n-smoke/)

matthewmatters December 12th 2017 07:27 PM

Drink 'N Smoke

So next year, I will have gone five years without a drop of booze (in march) and five years without a puff of smoke (in july), although I really can't get why it's such a big deal to some people about why I gave up alcohol back then and have gone without. Do they tend to be jealous people who secretly are hooked?

I could understand if someone came to me and said "i'm having trouble giving it up myself, what are your suggestions?" but it's not what they said.

Chris December 15th 2017 07:07 PM

Re: Drink 'N Smoke

Hey there, Matthew.

First off, congratulations on your many years of sobriety! I think people consider it a big deal because they may want to relate to why you have chosen to go the path that you did (sobriety). Even in some cases, people may be embarrassed to simply ask for help or to admit to having a problem (one of the hard levels of obtaining sobriety) so instead of asking for advice or tips on how to do it, they'd rather ask you about the path that you took, and will most likely try to see what fits for them. I'm not sure of your age, but if you're younger, I'm assuming you get even more people asking you about this. At a younger age, we all know it's very common for teens/young adults to over-indulge in alcohol and other addictions. With that being said, I think this is the age group that also has a hard time asking for help.

A common thing in life is that we always want what we don't have (i.e., "the grass is always greener on the other side"). In this situation, those with addictions often want sobriety, but they have no resources to find it. Maybe you can be that resource, that beacon of light, that help for those struggling with these addictions.

Best wishes,
Chris

Jamal2525 June 30th 2022 08:12 AM

It's a challenge you've been able to handle.

Rika January 12th 2023 04:42 PM

Hello

Welcome to TeenHelp! It's quite inspiring and amazing that you have gone that long without smoking or drinking. It is a good thing to hear you have chosen to quit these habits and made better choices.

I also think some people may think it is a big deal due to how long you've went without doing these things. Some people may also just wish to know why you chose to go the path of quitting drinking and smoking. As said above, some people maybe too embarrassed to seek advice and support. Some even do have issues with admitting they have an issue with these things.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are a teenager or young adult it is quite common for these age groups to become addicted to drinking and other things. Sometimes these people don't know how to ask for help, or just do not have a good support system.

As said by Chris I totally agree that you could be a useful resource for these people. I'd give my advice, support, and offer any resources you have used to these people.