TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,709, Level: 42 Points: 88,709, Level: 42 Points: 88,709, Level: 42

Celebrating Sobriety. - August 27th 2022, 05:07 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

This thread is where we can talk about our wins in regards to addiction - whether it be celebrating so many days without substances, etc.

I'll go first. 3 weeks without any alcohol.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: Celebrating Sobriety. - August 27th 2022, 05:25 PM

I quit active alcoholism in August 2020 and benzodiazepines in January 2021. However, since then I have found it hard to remain completely sober from those substances. Every once in a while, I will offer myself a drink. Every few weeks I take a benzo recreationally, but I have not become addicted again. The reason is that I know that I can use sporadically without becoming dependent. A single benzo use won't make me dependent. However, I almost became dependent again a few weeks ago getting pressed pills(with some no-name RC benzo) on the street and was taking them several times a week and starting to get rebound symptoms like dissociation, difficulty thinking, and feeling incredibly anxious for literally no reason on the days I'd go without. Around the same time a coworker had a seizure from benzo withdrawal off the same pills and I took that as a sign that I should quit taking them.

I have found that alcohol in particular is not what I remember. I think I may have even developed a physical intolerance to it because I cannot even have one drink without feeling hungover literally immediately. I started to feel hungover even while in the process of drinking and on small amounts. I used to drink 12 beers everyday to very little to no hangover. It is so bad that I am starting to have a conditioned aversion to alcohol. Even the sight of alcohol now usually makes me nauseas. I can almost feel the headache just from looking at a bottle of wine. Because that is how it makes me feel now, the high is suddenly very mild compared to the sick. And now the sick usually comes at the same time as the high rather than starting the next day. Sometimes I am sick with a hangover for more than one day after drinking. It was one of the biggest reasons I quit alcoholism. Somewhere between fall 2018 and summer 2020, my body stopped letting me process it. My reactions are now almost on par with people I know who have genetic alcohol intolerance from being of asian descent. My nose gets completely stuffed with mucous the morning after drinking. I remember back in the day some occasions where people at the bar asked me if I was ok because I was having obvious feverish chills and shivering from some sort of new physical intolerance to alcohol.

I hope I never fall back into it, espescially benzo dependency because that was long painful process to get off of. I hope I never have to rely on 12 step programs. A lot of people in AA say they could get sober by themselves but can't stay sober without the program. I think that it is true that motivation to remain sober can diminish when you have been better for a while and the memories of being constantly "sick and tired" start to fade or start to feel less relevant to one's current life. Without my new intolerance to alcohol, I think it would be hard for me to stay sober indefinitely.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; August 27th 2022 at 05:43 PM.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Celebrating Sobriety. - September 8th 2022, 10:39 AM

I am 32 days free of alcohol and I've never felt better.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Celebrating Sobriety. - September 28th 2022, 09:09 AM

52 sober from alcohol.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Celebrating Sobriety. - December 4th 2022, 06:08 AM

119 days sober from alcohol.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Celebrating Sobriety. - December 21st 2022, 04:46 AM

Unfortunately, I have fallen over the bandwagon after doing so well. I haven't done as bad as I thought with only having 1-2 drinks here and there.

Closed Thread