TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Struggling with Alcohol (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t163660-struggling-alcohol/)

Moon January 12th 2023 07:52 PM

Struggling with Alcohol

When I was in the hospital, the first night I was there, they asked how much I drank and how often. So I told them. The psychiatrist suggested that I have a substance abuse problem, specifically alcohol. At first I denied it and said I didn't, but the more I think about it, the more I realize - I turn to alcohol/drinking for everything.
When I got out, I was supposed to get a call from a PHP/IOP that would help with that and the other things I'm struggling with. They never called. I tried calling them.
I know now, that it's a problem. I just.. Don't know how to go about handling it, especially after the people who were supposed to help me, forgot about me. Abandoned me, even. I had clung so hard waiting for that call that never came.
Any time I get upset, or scared, or anxious, I think about getting a drink. I've also noticed, that I've gotten heavier and heavier on the pours recently when I make drinks. I found myself considering lying and asking a friend for money so I could go get more alcohol, which I think is what made me realize how bad this problem actually is now.

Rika January 12th 2023 08:59 PM

Re: Struggling with Alcohol

Hi there

Welcome to TeenHelp. I understand you're struggling with drinking and alcohol. I am glad to hear that you realized that this is a problem. I am happy to hear you want to seek and get the help you need to overcome this addiction.

I would perhaps see about contacting the hospital you were in and seeing about an update on this and if they could perhaps call to see about an update and even possibly schedule for you. It is totally fine to feel scared, upset, and anxious awaiting for them to call.

I would maybe consider distractions so not to think about drinking or wanting to drink. Is there anything you have done before that helped you stay busy? Perhaps listening to the radio, watching YouTube videos, or something like that? Is there anyone you can talk to about this issue you feel comfortable with? Sometimes talking to somebody about it can help who you trust. I also would suggest you learn what your triggers are and try to avoid them.

I also noticed you mentioned that you were going to ask a friend to buy you something to drink. I am happy to hear that you didn't do this, and again realized that you have an issue with alcohol.

Moon January 12th 2023 09:44 PM

My current plan is to wait until I meet with my new therapist. I'm going to work with her to see what she thinks I should do about all of this.

Dawn. February 24th 2023 05:02 AM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through but it is such a great thing to be wanting the help.

There are a lot of alcohol free options that you can get such as juice, water and soft drinks.

In the meantime while you are waiting for the chat with your therapist, I would also suggest that a call to the hospital can be something you can do to ask what they suggest for you to do.

Moon February 26th 2023 02:25 AM

So just an update (since I can't find an edit button)

I have been alcohol free for 3 weeks now!

Ennui. February 26th 2023 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moon (Post 1385723)

That is so amazing to hear!! Keep up the great work. You've got this! :D

Dawn. February 26th 2023 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moon (Post 1385723)

This is such wonderful news! :)