TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Cutting Addiction? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t32533-cutting-addiction/)

BarelyHangingOn December 20th 2009 07:51 PM

Cutting Addiction?

I was wondering why cutting is considered an addicton. Like, why can't I stop just because I want to. Why has it become somethin I need?

TheBabyEater December 20th 2009 08:34 PM

Re: Cutting Addiction?

Cutting can definatly become an addiction... I struggled with it for a long time and still do sometimes because I relied on it so much.
Theres kind of two kinds of addictions, physical ones are from smoking and nicotenne and stuff like that, then theres the psycological kind. You can get psycologically addicted to anything. Even like. Skittles. So a lot of people get psycologically addicted to cutting because it is a release, and they learn to rely on it instead of fixing the problem at hand.
Also, cutting or hurting yourself releases endorphines and horomones and such, and that's the rush that people get addicted to a lot of the time.

As to why you are... I think that's a question you need to answer yourself.
I'd say it's probably because you learned to rely on it too much, so when you try to stop your body isn't used to it. Sometimes psycological addictions can manifest itself in physical ways. It did for me anyway... Sometimes I'd get naseous around a certain time period of not cutting, or cranky and irritable, sometimes it'd feel like my skin was burning and screaming out to get hurt or crawling around... But I think that is against just your mind playing tricks on you.

If you're trying to stop, one of the best things to do, just like with alcohol and drug addictions, is to find what is triggering you, and try to fix that. They're actually very similar I've found.
Hope this helped... XD

.Brittany. December 20th 2009 08:37 PM

Hey.

I compare cutting to smoking. They are both very addicting. Why.. Some people want to jump on the band wagon, and try it themselves, to see what it really does. Then the next time they are having some of the same emotions, they don't know what to do, or where to turn, and they might have enjoyed the release it gave them. And that continues to grow, bigger and bigger, until its an addiction.

This is just my opinion. I'm kind of looking forward to see what others say about it.
Brittany

gabbystar December 20th 2009 11:18 PM

For me, cutting is such an addiction because i rely on it to release the emotion im feeling. Once you start you cant stop because psychologically you feel like you need it to help you when nothing else can even though its in reality not helping at all =/

love
x

Le Papillon December 21st 2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBabyEater (Post 286251)
Theres kind of two kinds of addictions, physical ones are from smoking and nicotenne and stuff like that, then theres the psycological kind. You can get psycologically addicted to anything. Even like. Skittles.

haha. im addicted to Skittles. and they make me crazy hyper X] but yeah, u can get adicted to cutting. its possible

Squirrel December 21st 2009 07:16 PM

You can become addicet to self harming. I think of it like this :
When I hurt myself, it triggers something in my brain, like a sense of relief, and when I feel angry or sad or however I feel when I end up hurting myself, I want to feel that relief again, and to do that I need to hurt myself, and its that sense of relief you become addicted to, and since you only get it when you hurt, you become addicted to self harmng.