TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Alcohol - January 17th 2010, 02:17 PM

First off, I know this type of behavior cannot be encouraged on here but I'm also going to be doing this anyways, regardless of what people say to change my mind. So to my actual questions. Sometime in the near future I'm going to hang out with my friend and we're going to get drunk, well, mostly me. It's just going to be us, and she's very used to drinking. Which is also why she won't get drunk since I've never had alcohol (more than a sip or two).

So I was wondering, what to expect exactly. Or what other peoples first times were like.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alisha

Points: 17,311, Level: 19 Points: 17,311, Level: 19 Points: 17,311, Level: 19

Re: Alcohol - January 17th 2010, 05:59 PM

I got pretty drunk and then passed out. Being drunk never really changed me only made me a lot more giggly and smiley and I had BAD balance but, never really thought I did.
After I had a BIG hangover. My head hurt, my stomach hurt and I as SUPER nauseous. At that moment, I vowed I wouldn't have alcohol EVER again.

Everthing I see seems to be a lie. And everything you see in me you think is the truth. But, really all you see is what I'm masking the real me with. You never see me cry. Because I'll never let you. And you'll never see me die because I feel like I already have in a way.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Losing_Control Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 9,938, Level: 14 Points: 9,938, Level: 14 Points: 9,938, Level: 14

Re: Alcohol - January 17th 2010, 06:43 PM

Honestly, I think it depends on what you're drinking. The first time I drank, I had a couple of wine coolers. I got a little dizzy and felt like I lost all control over balance. I ended up falling asleep; woke up the next morning and was fine.

The next time, I was drinking hard liquor. I don't remember that entire night. I woke up the next day underneath a ping-pong table. My head hurt really bad and I threw up multiple times.

Since it's your first time drinking - eat a meal prior to drinking. The food in your stomach well help absorb some of the alcohol and won't affect your system as quickly.

Please be safe and responsible. Make sure you aren't driving. I always hide my car keys from myself or give them to a friend that is staying sober; that way I know I'm not going to have an opportunity to drive.

"I'm falling even more in love with you
letting go of all I've held onto"
- Lifehouse
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22 Points: 24,570, Level: 22

Re: Alcohol - January 17th 2010, 06:51 PM

I should have mentioned that I don't have a license or a car, so driving wont be an issue and I'll be spending the night anyhow.
I'm not sure we'll really have a choice on what we drink, but does anyone have any tips on how slowly to drink? We definitely won't be drinking beer, as I find it horrible smelling.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21 Points: 21,720, Level: 21

Re: Alcohol - January 17th 2010, 08:04 PM

drink a pint of water before you start on the alcohol and then another pint before you got to bed and hangovers shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If you're drinking spirits like vodka or rum, mix it with coke or lemonade or something and don't put too much alcohol in it (like only 1 shot of alcohol in a glass of soft drink). If It's alcopops maybe only have a maximum of 1 every half hour and see how you go. It's different for everyone as we all have different tolerances. Maybe have some snacks with you or something so you won't be drinking constantly?

You should be fine as long as you don't drink too quickly. you don't want to be throwing up from drinking too fast. Your friend will probably tell you if you're drinking too fast lol.

Yeah, just don't overdo it and make sure you're somewhere safe.
Good luck. x
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: Alcohol - January 17th 2010, 11:12 PM

The one advice I can give you is if you are going to drink to it with a full stomach.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
BlurrySunset Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meg

Points: 10,268, Level: 14 Points: 10,268, Level: 14 Points: 10,268, Level: 14

Re: Alcohol - January 18th 2010, 02:11 AM

Almost everybody overdoes it the first time they get drunk, so be warned. And everybody has their own little hangover remedy or way to avoid getting sick that they swear works, but the truth is you'll probably get sick, and you'll probably be regretting it the next day. It's just a rite of passage. Drinking with a full stomach does nothing but delay alcohol absorbing into the bloodstream. There's no surefire way to avoid a hangover. And there's no way to sober up fast. But basically, everything is going to feel slow and warm. You'll probably laugh at a lot of things, be sillier than normal, and say things you normally wouldn't. Your motor skills are impaired a little, and you'll probably be swaying a little when you walk. But that's about all.

I lost myself in the space between heaven and hell.
...where do we go from here?

R.I.P. Sarah; 1991-2009
Kacy; 1992-2009
I'll never forget.

Two months clean and sober.
Seven months since last cut.
Still struggling and surviving.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Average Joe

Points: 10,372, Level: 14 Points: 10,372, Level: 14 Points: 10,372, Level: 14

Re: Alcohol - January 18th 2010, 04:29 AM

Well if you're setting high expectations to get drunk, you can bet you're probably going to get extremely sick and make friends with you host's toilet. Expect to possibly make a fool out of yourself and be all over the place. That's how many people are first time they get completely wasted, but then again if you're not someone who drinks often, whose to say exactly what you're going to do? That's the fun part, but that's also the scary part.
Closed Thread