TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/)
-   -   Alcohol in the classroom (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f17-drugs-alcohol-addiction/t93960-alcohol-classroom/)

FriendZoneMayor January 31st 2012 12:50 AM

Alcohol in the classroom

So, I was wondering what y'all think about people being UTI (under the influence... not urinary tract infection :hehe: ) of alcohol in a college classroom environment. Personally, I think it has no place in the classroom. Leave your drinking for evenings and weekends; you should be sober in class

Stargazed. January 31st 2012 12:53 AM

Re: Alcohol in the classroom

I think people should be sober for class. Save that for nighttime or weekends.

Ennui. January 31st 2012 01:03 AM

I think that since it is a classroom event, you should be sober for it. Save drinking for your own time.

Pelios January 31st 2012 01:19 AM

I don't mind, I do admit I have gone to class a little bit tipsy the class was at 8pm and some friends and I went to watch a soccer match before class so we got to class a little bit more happy than usual, but as long as you don't bug other people or make a big show I don't care.

esfdhtfy January 31st 2012 01:21 AM

My friends and I only go to class drunk on St. Patty's Day :)

TheCrowing January 31st 2012 01:24 AM

If you get drunk the night before, and you wake up drunk.. I find it understandable.
But if you're drinking before class.. I think you really should save it for afterwards.

Dopey January 31st 2012 01:41 AM

If I'm honest I've still be drunk from the night before in lectures. I think there are even a few times where I've been drinking before a lecture. And some of the best marks I got were on assignments I have no memory of completing (often starting...I'm a last minute sort of girl ) after a night out. However, I also think that if you have chosen to continue your education that you should take said education seriously then you shouldnt be drunk in lectures. There is a time and place...go to lectures/classes sober.

xxprincessxx January 31st 2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCrowing (Post 805997)
If you get drunk the night before, and you wake up drunk.. I find it understandable.
But if you're drinking before class.. I think you really should save it for afterwards.

i agree with this. it's happened to me once or twice.
but other than that i don't believe that it has any place in the classroom, save it for after class/weekends.

OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! January 31st 2012 03:19 AM

If you pay good money to afford the tuition or work your ass off hard enough to get through by scholarships, your priorities should be studying for the courses. It's fine to get drunk outside of class but if you want to get drunk before class, don't bother coming because chances are you're not going to learn to your full potential and you'll distract others who are sober.

Palmolive January 31st 2012 05:25 AM

Absolutely not. There's no need what so ever. Completely inapropiate.

Sincerely Yours ♥ January 31st 2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCrowing (Post 805997)

Definitely this.

Veni Vidi Vici January 31st 2012 06:47 AM

I really don't understand those who think it'd be okay on occasion. If you're drunk in class, then how can you even learn??? To me it's obvious you shouldn't drink prior to class. Hangovers are a whole different story.

TakeTheLeap January 31st 2012 12:40 PM

I actually chose "other."
In general, I would say that no, alcohol has no place in a classroom. There's no reason why anyone should come to class drunk or drinking in class, especially because you or your parents are paying for your education and you should -want- to get the most out of it.
However, the one stipulation I have (and the reason I chose "other") is that I tend to consider it "okay" to drink on an exam day as long as it doesn't disturb anyone. I had a friend who would psych herself up SO much on exam day that she would make herself so nervous or so sick that she literally couldn't function to take the exam. So, she would take a shot or two before going into the exam to get her nerves under control.

The big difference in that scenario is that she made sure not to disturb anyone during class. She didn't actively drink during class, she didn't come into class stinking of booze, and she was never -drunk- in class.

I think my biggest problem with drinking in class is that it doesn't just affect you... It affects the learning environment for everyone else. I know I can't concentrate in class if I smell alcohol or someone is being obnoxious because of alcohol. I would much prefer you wait until after classes or be respectful enough to MY learning by not coming to class if you choose to drink.

Ghost On The Highway January 31st 2012 02:19 PM

I could honestly care less whether a classmate "pregames" lecture, so long as said drunk isn't disturbing the class. I've had a drink before evening class on a few occasions, and with the exception of film showings it was never a great idea. I also made the mistake of going to a bar before a bio exam to calm my nerves...ended up doing okay on the test but the alcohol hurt me instead of helping (who'd have guessed :P)

Tyr. February 2nd 2012 07:37 AM

On the typical day, no, it's not appropriate. Piss off, we don't want to deal with you.

However, there are set times during the year when it is entirely appropriate (Yes, St Paddys day is one of them) to turn up to class in full costume, having a glorious time after a few too many beers. Such lectures usually consist of rowdy and boisterous debate and far too much enthusiasm for everything. Lecture specific drinking games are allowable. It helps when the lecturers are good sports.

Being drunk on these days is all good. Once you hit the stage where you are having trouble standing, throwing up, or being an asshole, then you have taken it too far.

- Yogi

Obliviate February 2nd 2012 05:37 PM

No way. Drinking is meant to be a leisurely activity. Not only will being drunk in class put others off around you but it will also prevent you from learning.
What would even be the point in going to class?

Lugez February 2nd 2012 06:57 PM

Unless it's some kind of wine tasting class or something similar, then no, keep the alcohol out.

bitesize February 3rd 2012 12:27 AM

In my first year of college, when lunchtime pints were still a novelty, I was mildly drunk in a few lectures, yas. Good times. (: I think as long as you're not obviously drunk/disturbing other people it's grand, but aside from that I don't really see the point. (I must be getting old, but...) why go to the class if you're drunk/why drink if you're planning to go to the class??

better-than-ecstasy February 3rd 2012 12:37 AM

I don't think school is a place for that. It is a person's responsibility to be prepared and ready for school. Alcohol, isn't getting you ready for anything. (in my opinion)