TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cactus Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kaitlyn

Its The Oddest Thing... - May 2nd 2012, 03:09 AM

So, i've always been a very education oriented student, college bound, no interest in anything that could jeopardize my plans. But lately, around the time that my grades in school dropped a bit, ive had the biggest urge to smoke. I've always been interested in weed and wanted to try it one day in the future, but i never thought i would be so drawn to it so soon and so strongly. And its not only weed. I've been wanting to smoke cigarettes too, and drink alcohol. Those last two were unthinkable a few months ago, but lately i've had a feeling in my chest, around my lungs, like i just want to fill them up with smoke. I suppose its also important to mention that this all started a little while after a really bad breakup. It might be tied in, but maybe not. I dont know, are these normal thoughts? Bad thoughts? Is this something i should be concerned about? Should i try them, just once, just to get it out of my system? Thanks <3

Sometimes people build up walls not to keep others out, but to see who cares enough to break them down...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Michy_Blackrose Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michy

Re: Its The Oddest Thing... - May 2nd 2012, 11:12 AM

That's pretty normal, especially as you're in your teenage years and many people feel like experimenting with substances in that period. Perhaps, you also want to 'break out' of a 'good' image you've managed to maintain, and live on the 'wild side' a little bit, which is also normal.

However, as an ex-substance abuser and addict myself, and the physical and mental deteriorations it led me to suffer, I would advise against starting to use any chemical, period.

In the past, i've been very on the fence, midway, about substance using.
Like, for example, if you wanted to use something, such as cannabis, look up all of the information on it first, get all the facts, the disadvantages/potential dangers as well as the perceived 'advantages/good effects', do it with an experienced 'sitter', or someone who can look after you whilst you're trying it, and keep your usage to a minimum. Keeping an open mind is also important, and know that each person will react to the same drug differently. Risk of an unpleasant, or dangerous reaction is ALWAYS there.

The unfortunate thing is, cigarettes (Nicotine) definitely can be a 'gateway' drug to smoking cannabis, or using other substances, and with some people it might just stop at smoking (unhealthy enough and certainly addictive and expensive enough, in itself), but in quite a few cases it leads to Cannabis use too, and other substances. 'Spiralling' with chemicals happens pretty easily, but some argue it can also be dependent on the 'addictive' nature of some personalities.

The best advice I could give you, would be to enjoy your free time when you're not studying by trying 'new' hobbies, or other daring activities, perhaps extreme sports, to feel a rush of a different, but safer (as safe as extreme sports can be!) kind. There is ALWAYS a risk with ANY drug-taking, whether socially acceptable or not, and all too often it can become physically, mentally and financially very damaging.

Think through the disadvantages very carefully, it's important to listen to your 'danger' instinct, too.

PM me
if you have any questions at all, or would like more information, I have quite a lot of experience in this field.

Michy.
  Send a message via MSN to Michy_Blackrose  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mia.J Offline
Turtle
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mia J Cara

Re: Its The Oddest Thing... - May 12th 2012, 06:37 AM

It's fairly normal to be curious about drugs and alcohol, especially at this age. But, I would strongly recommend against trying anything, because it is very likely that even just experimenting could lead to addiction.

Mia Jayde x

Closed Thread