TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
LSUfan85 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
LSUfan85's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male
Location: Where bud is legal :)

Posts: 35
Join Date: April 22nd 2012

Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 5th 2012, 04:59 AM

Hello, I am usually a daily Marijuana user. I smoke a bowl atleast a day, if i quit would i notice any differences in myy behaviors and the way i think? Anyway outhere quit and thought it was very beneficial? Please explain the benefits/non benefits
   
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LSUfan85 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
LSUfan85's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male
Location: Where bud is legal :)

Posts: 35
Join Date: April 22nd 2012

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 5th 2012, 05:00 AM

anybody* not anyway, sorry little stoned
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
oldaccount's Avatar
 

Posts: 3,205
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: March 30th 2011

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 5th 2012, 12:37 PM

I only recently quit, but I wasn't doing it for that long anyway. You feel like you're free because you know there's nothing to hide. You can't get caught anymore. There's more money in your pocket. And people have more respect for you now that they've seen you combat drug use and overcome it. You would definitely notice a change in your behaviors- now that your mind isn't clouded by a high, you can think clearly and rationally.
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Houseman Offline
Member
Not a n00b
**
 
Houseman's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan (Alfred)
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Wherever my laptop and quiet are found

Posts: 89
Join Date: December 13th 2011

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 5th 2012, 01:43 PM

I don't think your behavior or thought processes would change that drastically that you should worry about it, and any changes can only be for the better lol


"My heart is warm with friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going."

- Edna St. Vincent Millay
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
George^^'s Avatar
 
Name: George
Age: 21
Gender: Other
Location: Guess

Posts: 993
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 20th 2012

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 5th 2012, 07:14 PM

I have to admit that I have not done weed, but I am surrounded with it (I bet I can pass by ten people in my school and a half of them are on weed). Weed may seem to not change the way you think/percieve things, but it can raise your chances with mental illnesses such as skitzophrenia (Guessing the spelling, sorry if it's wrong!) - It can also cause cancer in the same ways as cigarettes do. - There are several pros and cons of quitting, cons would be around wanting it, and pros would be more money and less on your conscious.


I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 5th 2012, 09:41 PM

Well, of course actually burning the pot to smoke it will create carcinogens, but so does overcooking meats, vegetables, and oils. THC is actually linked to decreased tumor sizes for some types of cancer. As long as you're using marijuana that isn't grown with "heavy water", it's really not that bad. Maybe it's not a daily thing, and never large amounts when you need an increased mental awareness, but it can actually have some benefits to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George^^ View Post
I have to admit that I have not done weed, but I am surrounded with it (I bet I can pass by ten people in my school and a half of them are on weed). Weed may seem to not change the way you think/percieve things, but it can raise your chances with mental illnesses such as skitzophrenia (Guessing the spelling, sorry if it's wrong!) - It can also cause cancer in the same ways as cigarettes do. - There are several pros and cons of quitting, cons would be around wanting it, and pros would be more money and less on your conscious.
There is actually no evidence that even long term marijuana use leads to an increased chance of mental illness. Also, it doesn't "cause cancer in the same way cigarettes do". Cigarettes have more than 4000 toxins, and most of them are carcinogenic. Marijuana has THC, which decreases some tumor sizes. The cancer causing agents include heavy water, and the smoke.

So, if you smoke a bowl a day, you'll probably notice a difference in your behaviour, but that's mostly because it shocks your body when you quit so quickly. You'll get a similar effect from giving up sugar or caffeine though. Sure, it's good to cut back. You'll have more money. If you started using it as an escape from life, you might feel better about yourself. However, if you're just using it on occasion to feel good, it's not like it's dangerous. I might be flamed for this post, but I just don't see any evidence for serious harm with occasional casual marijuana use.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LSUfan85 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
LSUfan85's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male
Location: Where bud is legal :)

Posts: 35
Join Date: April 22nd 2012

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 6th 2012, 01:17 AM

thanks guys, ill consider everything
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while
********
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Canada, Ontario

Posts: 1,518
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 1st 2010

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 6th 2012, 01:19 AM

My experiences with pot have been a low point in my life, quitting was hard but arguably the best thing I've done to help myself achieve goals. I found pot to make me socially slow overall it was a downer for me aside from the 15-45 minuet high. Pot is a popular way for people to self medicate regardless of the problem. While pot is less harmful then other chemical drugs to say it is harmless altogether is unwise. When I quit pot I found the first 3 days to be the hardest, after that it got easier to just forget about. Now I blame it for my poor grades in highschool, if I didn't smoke pot at lunch everyday I'd probably have walked away with more ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
There is actually no evidence that even long term marijuana use leads to an increased chance of mental illness.
Recently I was at my doctors for a check-up I asked the common question "what's so bad about pot in regards to heath?" She firmly said that there are links between THC and mental illness most commonly schizophrenia and chemical imbalances in the brain that lead to depression. Those illnesses obviously don't happen overnight but its certainly something that a long term smoker should be concerned about.

Supporting facts click here

Cancer is defenatly in a round about way linked to smoking, regardless of what your smoking the defination of a carcinogen is, a carcinogen is any substance, radionuclide, or radiation that is an agent directly involved in causing cancer. when you directly inhale smoke that's bad news. Smoking cigarettes is a different animal and is linked to a different evil altogether. I'm not for or against pot its just not for me. It has done nothing good for me, if anything I made me take a few steps back.

TeenHelp Support Staff,
Ryan

Last edited by Ryan1; June 6th 2012 at 01:27 AM.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
MindBodySpirit's Avatar
 
Name: Not Michael
Age: 26
Gender: agender
Location: Canada

Posts: 244
Join Date: February 24th 2011

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 6th 2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
Recently I was at my doctors for a check-up I asked the common question "what's so bad about pot in regards to heath?" She firmly said that there are links between THC and mental illness most commonly schizophrenia and chemical imbalances in the brain that lead to depression. Those illnesses obviously don't happen overnight but its certainly something that a long term smoker should be concerned about.
Well, there are links between pot use and mental illness. That's quite a bit different than what I said. I'm referring to causation, rather than correlation. That's a pretty important detail.

It is quite possible that people with chemical imbalances are more likely to self-medicate using marijuana, rather than seek out treatment. It's quite possible that people who are genetically prone to schizophrenia would turn to pot. Many studies that doctors will refer to fail to factor in socio-economic, developmental, genetic, and other lifestyle factors. Those are pretty big sources of error. There are studies that have actually done a good job at looking for the answers when it comes to cause and effect. For example, there was a study in 2002 at Aarhus University in Denmark which addressed this issue. They found people who had experienced psychosis after using pot had the same chance of having a first degree relative. Those people would have developed schizophrenia, regardless of whether they used pot or not. In fact, it's quite possible that in some cases, it would delay the appearance of symptoms because of another chemical in marijuana, CBD. This is just one example, but there are many more examples, including studies discussing the benefits of marijuana use for depression in adults. It all depends on the reason you're using marijuana in the first place. If you're using it as an escape, it's going to be an escape. If you deal with your problems, it's not going to make you depressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
Supporting facts click here
There is a second page to this article. It's not hard evidence. Again, it shows a link, not proof of a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post
Cancer is defenatly in a round about way linked to smoking, regardless of what your smoking the defination of a carcinogen is, a carcinogen is any substance, radionuclide, or radiation that is an agent directly involved in causing cancer. when you directly inhale smoke that's bad news. Smoking cigarettes is a different animal and is linked to a different evil altogether. I'm not for or against pot its just not for me. It has done nothing good for me, if anything I made me take a few steps back.
Just like I said, it's just the smoke that is carcinogenic. With cigarettes, there are many more carcinogens. You're exposed to lots of carcinogens a day, just from eating anyway.

Also, you may not have had any benefits from it, but I know people that have. Specifically when you deal with degenerative diseases, like alzheimer's and multiple sclerosis, or cancer. A friend of mine had cancer and he was losing a bunch of body weight because he couldn't eat, but then he started smoking very small amounts of pot, and it helped him.

I still stand by what I say:
-there isn't solid evidence to prove that marijuana causes mental illness
-marijuana that is grown properly is not that bad for your health; it's healthier than alcohol
-there are benefits to using marijuana
   
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while
********
 
Ryan1's Avatar
 
Name: Ryan
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: Canada, Ontario

Posts: 1,518
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 1st 2010

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 6th 2012, 05:06 AM

You have some fair points many of them I've debated before and this is a conversation that will surely derail this thread. As it stands Alex is looking for someone who quit smoking pot to possibly help him through it. Your micro debating the bigger picture, at TeenHelp we try to stick with recovery based conversations. Everyone is welcome to express their views, for my own peace of mind I'll stick with my doctors advice smoking isn't healthy period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBodySpirit View Post
Well, there are links between pot use and mental illness. That's quite a bit different than what I said. I'm referring to causation, rather than correlation. That's a pretty important detail.
Artical Paragraph

Quote:
Repeatedly, studies have found that people with schizophrenia are about twice as likely to smoke pot as those who are unaffected. Conversely, data suggest that those who smoke cannabis are twice as likely to develop schizophrenia as nonsmokers. One widely publicized 2007 review of the research even concluded that trying marijuana just once was associated with a 40% increase in risk of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders.
My debate stands firmly with the fact that pot does not help the growing mind, teenagers and adults alike do not need to intoxicate themselves with pot, the fact that its compared to alcohol is a sad truth that its harmful. Often times people who use the substance hand pick content they want to believe, I don't say that to be condescending. Generally speaking people that advocate the use of the drug use it. Never take drug advise from the dealer or a user, street rule 101. I feel like pot robbed me of so much having smoked it for years.

Clinically marijuana does have some benefits but for the 12-21 year old's looking for advise those benefits quickly turn into negatives. Often times people who are prescribed marijuana are terminally ill. My role here isn't to judge anyone for any reason. I just want to make sure some kid doesn't think its okay to smoke pot because of content they read here.

Michael, this isn't a jab at you in fact you seem intelligent and probably have good reasoning behind your views but that goes two ways for you and I.

TeenHelp Support Staff,
Ryan
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
damnitbob Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
damnitbob's Avatar
 
Age: 29

Posts: 3
Join Date: June 8th 2012

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 8th 2012, 04:35 AM

i'm an occasional marijuana smoker. i think you should reduce your marijuana habits for sure. a bowl everyday isnt exactly a healthly amount in my opinion. i would just try to reduce your usage exponentially as in try to not smoke for 2 days then reward yourself. then go to 3 days, 4 days, only on weekends etc. it will keep you looking forward to it. i personally smoke weed about 3 weekends or so. the reasons for cutting down:

1.illegal-although i disagree with it being illegal there are no benefits in getting caught and the more you smoke the higher probability

2.$$$- you'll save mad money

3.no more paranoia- you wont have to worry about getting caught

to answer your question "if i quit would i notice any differences in myy behaviors and the way i think?" yes you will, the reason to smoke weed it to change your behavior and thought patterns. so expect sort of the opposite of the typical high feeling more alert, more focused, less sleepy, sometimes shorter temper, and some trouble sleeping if you use it before you sleep.
also regarding health effects there is no negatives, do your research people.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
LSUfan85 Offline
Member
Welcome me, I'm new!
*
 
LSUfan85's Avatar
 
Name: Alex
Gender: Male
Location: Where bud is legal :)

Posts: 35
Join Date: April 22nd 2012

Re: Stop smoking pot? need a person who quit - June 9th 2012, 03:52 AM

Thanks guys, And to the people debating about MJ causing cancer, I believe MJ doesnt give you cancer,HOWEVER the smoke from weed does. All smoke is bad for you,even camp fire smoke. Edibles reduce if not demolish the risk
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
person, pot, quit, smoking, stop

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.