TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

Never drank (not really) - June 26th 2012, 01:23 PM

I just graduated high school (hell yeah!) and I'll be going to university in September. Throughout high school, my group of friends haven't ever been into drinking. We figure we can have fun without the stuff. Recently, we've had drinks at our get together, but no one's ever got completely wasted or anything. I don't drink at these parties though.
The only time I've ever drank is once after Christmas, when my mum bought me a bunch of little shot bottle thingys to try it out. The other time was also at Christmas, and it was with family.
I know in university I'm gonna have to deal with alcohol. I don't not want to drink it, but I don't want to get drunk. I don't like the idea of not being able to control what I'm doing. I like being in touch with reality.

Here's my question:
This might be a silly question, but I really have very little experience with alcohol. I know it varies for different people, but on average, how many drinks can a person have before they get drunk? And is there a way to prevent it if you just... I don't know, think about it enough?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ashleylovesyou Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ashley

Re: Never drank (not really) - June 26th 2012, 04:55 PM

For every drink you have, drink a glass of water. That helps with me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melwirth Offline
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Never drank (not really) - July 10th 2012, 11:41 AM

I'm gonna be straight up honest with you, when you get to college just leave the alcohol alone. It's not worth it. Ive been in college for almost two years and haven't had a sip of alcohol (but it's kind of easy going to a school where it's against the Honor Code and where the students take the honor code very seriously) the only time I ever drank was when I was 15 and I could have had just as much fun without it. Just cuz everyone else is drinking doesn't mean you have to join in, seriously. While my brother was in college he never drank either he actually always went to the parties but was DD which he loved doing cuz he got to drive some pretty sweet cars because of it Drinking isn't as hyped up as people make it out to be, it's just an excuse for people to do stupid things, but as a side note watching drunk people do stupid things is so much funnier when you are sober

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: Never drank (not really) - July 10th 2012, 06:18 PM

Drink plenty of water and make sure you eat before you drink, my personal favourite is to have a plate of fries and a banana milkshake before a night out!
Sometimes it can be fun to have a few drinks when you're with your friends but it really isn't worth over doing it! My advice is to monitor how much you drink (e.g. drink a glass until it's empty then refill it, don't keep filling a half empty glass or you won't know how many glasses you've had?) try your best to stay away from spirits (I'd always take beer or cider over vodka or anything like that!) and don't feel pressured into drinking more because other people are, things like drinking games aren't worth it and no one looks big or cool when they're throwing their guts up or getting their stomach pumped!
The most important thing is to have fun, one or two drinks every now and then really can be fun, just be careful and sensible!

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

Closed Thread