TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
iamnew Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Serious Advice please? - July 8th 2012, 05:40 AM

So I'm 15 and going to be in 10th grade. Recently, I became friends with some going to be juniors/seniors. I've hung out with them a few times before, they've met my mom, and I've concluded that they're real funny and nice, and the kind of people really like to have around.
One of them is having a big part in 5 days and I was invited. I sooo want to go and I consider myself very responsible. I've never drank at a party or anywhere/gotten drunk and I have a feeling that this is going to be a drinking party seeing as how the parents probably won't be home.
It would really help me out if i knew what exactly to drink. I don't want to get completely wasted, I DONT want to get sick (throwing up is one of my worst fears), and I just don't know what is good to drink in order to maybe catch a slight buzz and have fun (not saying you can't have fun completely sober) but stay responsible and not sloppy or wasted or sick.
Please don't tell me not to drink, I might or honestly I might not, I really don't know. But I'd love some pointers because I do not want to get myself into this without knowing certain things.
I know "liquor before beer your in the clear. beer before liquor never been sicker. " I know NEVER to let my drink out of sight. I know to not let anyone make my drink for me. I know to eat before the party and drink plenty of water during. I know not to drink too many fruity/sugary drinks because they make you sick and drunk.
I'd really just like to know what to drink and how much. Thankyou!

Also: people are allowed to sleep over. I really want to and my mum might say yes, i just dont know what to say about parents not being home. If i felt weird or sick or anything bad I know i could call mum and shed pick me up no problem. And i dont think shed be pissed, shes cool about this stuff. I just dont know what to say or if i should say anything about the parents not being there... help?

Last edited by iamnew; July 8th 2012 at 06:05 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 8th 2012, 02:05 PM

Hi there.

Tell your parents that his/her parents are not going to be at the party or at the sleepover because parents need to know so that your looked after and taken care of. Stay away from the alcohol drinks. Drink water, orange squash, black current then you wont be drunk you can only get drunk if you drink lots and lot's of alcohol drinks like 2, 3,4 or 5 etc but one wont hurt. It's best for your age to not drink them because your under age. At partys you see fizzy drinks you can have them it shouldn't be a problem. I would say your very responsible and wise that's good of you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
iamnew Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 9th 2012, 03:45 AM

I told her and she understands and said thats fine and all. would vodka and juice like OJ be good? With a lot more OJ than vodka of course. Or mikes hard lemonade? examples please?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
iamnew Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 9th 2012, 03:46 AM

a problem there is that i dont drink soda...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MjF8866 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michael

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 9th 2012, 03:51 AM

Honestly your just going to try it out for yourself. Just take it easy and don't go fast. Have a drink and let it settle before you drink again.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
zlfnb Offline
of course she's screwed
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Zola LeBlanc

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 9th 2012, 04:56 AM

1. Just because I'm the perfect fucking example of this, I'll tell you right now that becoming an alcoholic I'd easier than you think- never drink because it makes you feel numb. I'm not saying that's WHY you're going to drink, but it could turn out that you'll remember the way you felt when you DID drink, and try to use it as a painkiller...

Just never do that. Ever.

2. "liquor before beer" is a myth. True, some people will get terribly sick, and get terrible hangovers from it- or the opposite, depending on which end of the rule you're looking at, but I personally am exempt from that. Along with many others.

3. It depends. For one thing, it depends on HOW MUCH.

No, I'm not referring to how many drinks, but how big the proof is.

Beer, wine, coolers, etc. ask have low amounts of alcohol.

Then, you've got your harder drinks, like straight tequila, whiskey, rum, etc.

I'd stick with the top category if I were you.

Also, take into account how you start to feel after a few sips. If you feel kind of lightheaded and dizzy, you might wanna stop. It could simply mean that, well, is your first time drinking, and you aren't used to it, but it could also mean that you have a low tolerance to alcohol. Most people can get through a few beers (once they're used to alcohol) without getting buzzed. Some purple can barely stand one. Some people (like me) could drink almost endlessly, it would seem without being obviously affected.

And it depends on how certain drinks affect you too.

For instance, whiskey makes me kind of blurry and tired. Beer hardly affects me at all. Same with coolers. Drinks like Disaronno make me your typical, fun-loving drunk party person.

Wine makes me insane.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Vaughndy7 Offline
Voglio solo essere bella...
Average Joe

Name: Toni

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 9th 2012, 11:18 PM

I really would stick with mixed drinks like the fruity/sugary drinks. That way you can just sip on that for a while and you will just have that one as opposed to a couple drinks. General rule of thumb, stay away from shots; I don't know many people that have just one shot and then walk away. You can try to tell one of your friends that you don't want to get too drunk and just ask them to watch out for you and make sure you don't drink too much.

As for the little beer and liquor order, the order really doesn't matter. You want to try not to mix your clears and darks, meaning don't have whiskey and then vodka, just stick with one or you will get sick.

I hope that helped some and you have fun, but be sure to be careful and not get too drunk first off.

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."
"People cry, not because they are weak. It's because they have been strong for too long."
"Everthing will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

Last edited by Vaughndy7; July 9th 2012 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typed too fast

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 11th 2012, 09:22 PM

Soft drinks are always the best option for me. I just think that soft drinks would also be good for you too and more safer. If you add OJ more then vodka and add a little bit of vodka but not to much. As long as OJ isn't a alcohol that will be fine.

Last edited by Cassie999; July 11th 2012 at 09:45 PM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Debaser Offline
Tabula Rasa
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Louise

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 13th 2012, 04:35 PM

If your parents are okay with you drinking and okay with there being no parental supervision i'm going to assume they'd be okay with you asking if they'd pick some drink out for you?

Have you drunk any alchohol with meals or at family events? I grew up being allowed a little glass of wine & lemonade (mostly lemonade) at family dinners and in my early teens my mum would pick out low percentage beers/ciders for me if i went to a party.

I'd think it'd be best to bring your own, maybe a low percentage beer? After you finish a can give it at least half an hr before starting another, just to give the alchohol some time to get into you system so you know how you're feeling. I'd say as a first time drinker don't go over 3/4 cans. I think spirits would be a bit of a risk for a first time drinker as they are very high percentage and mixed with sweet fruit juice you can easily drink them too fast because you can't taste the strength of them.

There may be pressure to drink more and if you are concerned there are plenty of non-alcholic beverages that can easily pass as alchohol

Send a message via MSN to Debaser Send a message via Skype™ to Debaser 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
dj_chicharito Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dhananjay

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 14th 2012, 03:15 AM

when it comes to how much you can drink it depends on your own capacity and other things but my advice to you would be that if you have a drink then stick to drinking just that. like have only vodka or only whiskey because mixing can be dangerous. having a cocktail or two wont really get you drunk and if you start feeling tipsy try and get some lemon juice into you and eat something that absorbs like bread or crackers.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Serious Advice please? - July 14th 2012, 03:16 PM

A general rule: the less sugar contained in the alcoholic beverage, the less sick you'll be the next day. Thus, clear spirits and bitter spirits are generally accepted as the most appropriate for not getting drunk (I can't even remember a time where I got drunk off gin and tonic - just can't drink the horrible, foul taste of it that fast). The darker the colour of the drink, the more you'll get drunk and the worse you'll feel the next day. Avoid sugar at all costs (made this mistake last night).

Yes, the "liquor before beer" thing is a myth. Nor does the "grass before beer" rule fly straight with me.

Just stick to low calorie, low sugar drinks and you'll be fine.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Closed Thread