TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AdamsLife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Adam

Should I?? - April 9th 2009, 03:18 PM

My dad drinks at night.. Beer is very accessable to me.. I have heard that having a buzz is awesome.. and drinking can be really fun.. but I know there are always the people who take it too far.. and I don't want to mess with my dad's trust.. is trying one beer a bad thing? Would I be able to stop?
  Send a message via AIM to AdamsLife  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should I?? - April 9th 2009, 04:47 PM

Hey Adam. :]

Since you're only 15, I would strongly advise against it. I obviously can't tell you what to do, but drinking drinking one beer, in your house, on your own? Does it really sound like that much fun? Sneaking around behind you dad's back? Do you really want to risk getting caught?

Your dad trusts you now. But do you think he'd ever trust you again if he caught you sneaking some of his drink?

There are always people who cannot control their drinking, you have no idea whether or not you are one of those people.

If you're very curious, how about casually asking your dad if he'd let you try some sometime? A lot of parents would be happy that their kids were being responsible about it and that their ''trying'' of drink didn't involve getting out of their mind drunk on a Friday night.

It's normal to be curious, but you're only 15. You have plenty of time ahead of you for this kind of stuff.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Should I?? - April 10th 2009, 02:01 PM

Talk to your father.

Tell him you wish to experiment with alcohol but don't want to go to far. If you got to him as a responsible adult then he will respect your decisions and be more inclined to allow you the freedom.

Try not to go behind his back, it's not worth breaking your fathers trust for. :]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Should I?? - April 12th 2009, 06:19 PM

Hey Adam,

It is normal to be curious about things. Especially when your friends are also experimenting with alcohol. However, if you steal from someone you are breaking their trust. Trust is hard to rebuild. A one time 'buzz' isn't worth jeopardizing your relationship with your dad. I would either talk to him about it or wait until you are older and can legally drink. Trying one beer is not a bad thing but stealing is. Additionally, no law says it will stop with one beer. For many people casual drinking becomes an addiction before they even realize what hit them. Before drinking I think you should find out about some of the risks invovled and make an educatied decision for yourself. HERE is an atricle about the importance of drinking in moderation and HERE is some more information on general alcohol consumption. I strongly urge you to wait until you are older and more mature before you start drinking. Make smart choices and take care.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NuHalo Offline
Strength.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shaun

Re: Should I?? - April 13th 2009, 02:50 PM

Whatever happens, we can't tell you to do anything illegal.
But if it's your decision to actually go ahead and start with drinking, be extremely careful with it. But honestly, it would be too much trouble to start drinking at your age. It has health reprocussions, and you would be stealing from your father and losing his trust... asking him will probably entail a solid 'no' as well. Having a buzz is okay, it isn't exactly a glorified awesome experience like you make it sound like it is. It's just... a slurring of the senses. Its kind of annoying sometimes actually. :/

Well, whatever you do, if you do decide to start having a few beers then don't go overboard. Puking is never fun.

Take care,
Shaun.

Click here to PM me any time, I'm here to help you if you want to talk to someone.

Beware lest you lose the substance, by grasping at the shadow. - The Dog and the Shadow, Aesop
  Send a message via MSN to NuHalo  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
AdamsLife Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Adam

Re: Should I?? - April 13th 2009, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys for the replys. The advice here is really good and I think you all say pretty much the same thing. 'Don't do it because you will ruin your Dad's trust.'
I actually shouldn't have even considered it.
(This thread can be locked now)

Thanks,
Adam
  Send a message via AIM to AdamsLife  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
NuHalo Offline
Strength.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Shaun

Re: Should I?? - April 13th 2009, 03:54 PM

Sure thing, glad we could help.
It will be just as enjoyable when you can legally do it too.

Closed.

Click here to PM me any time, I'm here to help you if you want to talk to someone.

Beware lest you lose the substance, by grasping at the shadow. - The Dog and the Shadow, Aesop
  Send a message via MSN to NuHalo  
Closed Thread