TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HappyMcSmiley Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy I joked about using x and not my friend hates me - November 8th 2012, 12:45 AM

So I'm the type of person who tells false stories to make themselves seem interesting. Horrible, I know, please don't remind me.
Anyway, long story short: I told my best friend about using X, which at the time I meant as a joke but he didn't quite catch it. By then he took it too seriously to be able to believe I was joking. So, the best I could do then was instead of trying to convince him was justify myself for the things I never did. In a way, I sort of said the things I wanted to say, but just wrapped them around "Why I did X" as a reason. But now he refused to speak to me, has no respect for me, and pretty much sees me as scum. He's all I have in this world that really keeps me going, and now he hates me.
I'm in this lie far too much to just admit it was a joke. He won't believe it, I made it seem so real and so serious. I'm starting to just want to end myself because of this whole thing.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: I joked about using x and not my friend hates me - November 12th 2012, 08:22 PM

Don't give up because of this. If he is your true friend he will come back around at some point, just give him time. You tried to fix it, now it's in his hands. At least you've learned from your mistake and hopefully will think twice about it in the future! Hang in there, and I wish you the best of luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
peanutbex Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Becca

Re: I joked about using x and not my friend hates me - November 12th 2012, 10:56 PM

Firstly, if he is truly your friend then he will eventually talk to you. Then it is probably best to just say you will never do it again, as I agree you are too far into the lie and denying it ever happened would most likely make him angry as he would think you are lying. What is important is that you learn from your mistakes and don't do it again! Trust me I do understand. I used to always make up false stories to make myself seem more interesting. But you will always end up getting tangled up in your lies, as you have this time. You will forget what you've said to who and your life will revolve around lies. When you feel the urge to make up something just remember what it caused you this time. Do you really want to go through that again?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: I joked about using x and not my friend hates me - November 14th 2012, 04:35 PM

I don’t agree that if he is your “true friend” he will come back to you. As a teenager he may not be allowed to associate with people who do drugs because of his parents. But, he also might have his own views on the topic and may personally choose not to spend time with people who do those things. It has nothing to do with being a “true friend”. He needs to do what is best for himself and being around someone who has done drugs, often, is not healthy. I don’t blame him for walking away.

I think the best thing you can do is tell the truth. Tell him that you were lying because you wanted to seem interesting, or fun, or whatever reasoning you have. Just be honest, that is all you can do at the moment. If he chooses to come back as a friend then you can work on building your relationship again. But he might not and you need to try to prepare yourself for that and be ok with that. There are consequences to lying and you have to take responsibility for that. You should take this as a learning experience that lying for entertainment reasons can cause real harm to people and can lose your friendships.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: I joked about using x and not my friend hates me - November 21st 2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
I don’t agree that if he is your “true friend” he will come back to you. As a teenager he may not be allowed to associate with people who do drugs because of his parents. But, he also might have his own views on the topic and may personally choose not to spend time with people who do those things. It has nothing to do with being a “true friend”. He needs to do what is best for himself and being around someone who has done drugs, often, is not healthy. I don’t blame him for walking away.

I think the best thing you can do is tell the truth. Tell him that you were lying because you wanted to seem interesting, or fun, or whatever reasoning you have. Just be honest, that is all you can do at the moment. If he chooses to come back as a friend then you can work on building your relationship again. But he might not and you need to try to prepare yourself for that and be ok with that. There are consequences to lying and you have to take responsibility for that. You should take this as a learning experience that lying for entertainment reasons can cause real harm to people and can lose your friendships.
I agree with Lizzie's post. You lied to your friend, you shouldn't have joked about taking drugs. He didn't know that, and now he won't talk to you. Of course he won't, because maybe his parents or religions or his own personal belief is to not hang around those who does drugs.

The only thing you can do is say the truth, and like Lizzie said, there's a very good chance he won't take back your friendship. He probably hates liars just as much as drug addicts, and you need to be aware of that. If he says "screw you", then that's it. The damage is done.

Now you know not to joke around about drugs to anyone.

Closed Thread