TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kamrin

Question Caffeine Pills? - December 16th 2012, 08:01 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So sometimes I take caffeine pills at work to keep me going, is this wrong? Also, I heard caffeine had weird side effects that could change your way of thinking. My job is really stressful & I work with knives to cut food & sometimes when I get really frustrated I want to cut myself with the knife. I used to SH so I don't really want to do that again :/..I haven't taken them in awhile because of this, but sometimes I fall so behind on my work & customers get impatient so I take the pills so I can work really fast. Has anyone taken them before & experienced this? also, are these really bad for you? I figured it was just like drinking coffee, now I'm not so sure.

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 16th 2012, 10:39 AM

Hey Kamrin!

I'm sorry you feel that way! Since I do not know what these Caffeine pills are I can't tell you. For all I know, they could just be like a cup of coffee in a form of a pill. Have you been getting enough sleep lately? That could be why you've been feeling like you need them.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 16th 2012, 02:12 PM

I usually get enough sleep, it's just I work with food & making people's food & sometimes it gets really hectic & too much to handle. I get so many orders at once sometimes & the people just stand there staring at me & I start to get anxious so I feel the pills help me work faster & get the food out quicker. I don't take them as much anymore because I got a reallyyy bad headache from them one night. Ugh it was awful. Thanks for responding

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 16th 2012, 02:24 PM

Dangers of caffeine pills? Possibly becoming dependent on them. Caffeine intoxication occurs from hyper-stimulation of the central nervous system. It can also cause things like dizziness, nausea, issues going to the toilet and high/low blood glucose levels.

If you're not going to stop taking them, make sure you stick to the recommended dose but I definitely don't suggest using them long term. Things like eating smaller meals regularly through out the day and making sure you stay dehydrated too can help you have more energy. Foods such as nuts are good for energy too.

I get that your job is exhausting but I think it's important you use other ways to get the energy you need. You may sleep find but if you're finding yourself tired in the day, maybe you're not getting long enough. You may also be deficient in something like iron. You can get blood tests done by your doctor to check levels like iron too.

Hope this helps.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 16th 2012, 03:45 PM

I agree that you need to find alternative ways to gain the energy you need. Coffee, soda, tea all contain caffeine at much safer levels. But, then again, stress is always going to be apart of any job. Make sure when you get a chance at work to take breaks and relax.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 16th 2012, 05:06 PM

Yeah, I never take breaks at work because it's always nonstop & theres not much people working. Just 2 or three people usually so I'm always moving around & never have time to eat or drink anything. I've also had an ED & still don't always eat before I go to work so sometimes I go the whole day without eating..I eat when I get home, but I'm sure that's why I get dizzy sometimes because all I'm running on is caffeine

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 16th 2012, 05:13 PM

Well that's your employer's fault for not providing breaks, you should really talk to them. I don't know about Pennsylvania but a lot of states have mandated breaks for so many hours of work. You have to get breaks, no wonder you are so stressed!

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 17th 2012, 05:07 PM

Yeah my workplace is pretty unstable, lets just say that. It's also really busy there so it's not like there's no business. I know, it's so frustrating. If I even sit down for one second my boss is like "hey there's a customer" like, can't you handle it for once? lol it just ticks me off. By the time I get home my feet are killing me

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 18th 2012, 08:52 PM

Caffeine does affect your brain, but it isn't that dramatic. It just makes you more awake and able to concentrate, that's all. We leaned about that in my psychology class actually.
It isn't that dangerous either, it would take a LOT of caffeine to actually cause a problem. I saw a documentary about this, and one lady was drinking 46 cups a day! The main problems caffeine can cause is withdrawal symptoms if you stop drinking it (the symptoms aren't that bad), insomnia, and you can get jittery and shakes.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 18th 2012, 10:16 PM

Honestly, it isn't that dangerous. It is the same as coffee, but just in pill form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl1XBJLfIDU

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 20th 2012, 05:23 PM

Maybe I've just been getting so overwhelmed & frustrated lately that I had the urge to SH..I don't weigh that much so I guess it wasn't the best idea to take 3 & drink it with coffee :/ I drink some sort of caffeine at least once a day if not more

Thanks for responding, everyone. I appreciate it

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Snowing Season Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 21st 2012, 07:45 AM

Caffeine isn't going to hurt you, but may make you more irritable and restless.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 21st 2012, 09:53 PM

Hey there,

I am a coffee drinking and I have never had that problem before. The worst thing I've had happen is when I have had too much caffeine and not enough food I got really nauseous. Although, I've been told that that is normal. I think that, as you said, the feelings you are exhibiting are probably due to stress so I would suggest that you try to take some time for yourself to de-stress. I know when you are working it can be hard to find the time but even if it is just thirty minutes after you get off of work it could do a lot.

Wishing you the best.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Honey Muffin Offline
Average Joe

Re: Caffeine Pills? - December 22nd 2012, 02:30 AM

Hey thanks a lot. I'm trying to turn things around & not let everything get to me as much. I guess I have to keep telling myself "don't sweat the small stuff" it's not worth someone's happiness.

Closed Thread