TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hoʻonani i ka makua mau
Average Joe

Name: Nicole

So I might have a problem. - December 24th 2012, 10:52 AM

All right, so I guess I'm a pretty typical college student.
I go to one of the top 'party schools' in the US, and like pretty much everyone else on my campus, I like to get a little weird on the weekends. At the beginning of the semester, I was totally clean. I didn't drink a TON in high school and a dabbled in drugs on rare occasion. College pretty much changed all of that. I'm pretty much a huge binge drinker now, and I smoke like a chimney (I collect hookahs and glassware, no surprise there). Ironically enough my major is health psychology with an emphasis in substance abuse counseling and motivational interviewing. LOL

Anyway, I literally could not remember the last weekend I was sober. Now it's winter break, I'm back home, 4000 miles away from school, and I'm pretty sure I'm going through alcohol withdrawal or something. It's more in my head than any actual physical withdrawal symptoms, but still. It's been 7 days since I've had any alcohol at all, and 9 since I've been shit-face drunk. I've just been so jittery and anxious for the past 2 or 3 days, and I've just been craving alcohol a lot more than usual. Honestly, I'm trying not to drink while I'm home, but I doubt it's going to happen (stuck here for another 3 weeks). Any advice on what I should do? About the situation in general, I guess. And more specifically about what I am supposed to do for the next 3 weeks because quitting cold turkey is not working out for me at all so far.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: So I might have a problem. - December 24th 2012, 03:57 PM

Quitting tends to be largely psychological. Will power plays a large part of the problem. If you think you can tolerate the discomfort of being without alcohol or smoking then you will. But if you give up you won't get anywhere any time soon because then you will just go back to school and go right back to drnking and smoking to much. So I'd just force it to happen if I was you. Go for a walk or something if it's getting hard

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: So I might have a problem. - December 26th 2012, 05:22 AM

Quitting alcohol depending on the dosage is NOT simply psychological by any means. Many people go through various withdrawal symptoms. For a full list do some research through google, but some of them is shaking and sweating. It can be really intense for some people. I have seen some really bad withdrawal, or on the other hand, my father who drank for 20+ years had very little symptoms.

For starters make sure you are drinking plenty of water, and try to eat fruits. The sugar in fruits such as apples is similar to that in alcohol and can help withdrawal symptoms.

Maybe consider attending an AA meeting, or alcoholics anonymous. If you haven't heard of it before, it is basically just a support group for people with issues with alcohol. Many people have seen it made fun of on television, but it really is not that 'lame'. The twelve steps they work through can be extremely beneficial for many people. I feel like it could help you a lot. Definitely get help now, before you are older having tons of issues with alcohol. It can really hurt everyone around you, obviously as well as yourself.

Best of luck, be safe.
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: So I might have a problem. - December 26th 2012, 04:15 PM

Oh no that's not what I meant at all sorry it that wasn't clear, I've seen people quit substances, I see what it does to their bodies and I know exactly to what extent that it's psychological AND physical.. I just meant that in order to stop drinking you have to have the mind to do it, like if a person still wants to use the sibstances then they will, I don't know how to put that right so I hope that makes sense but you probably know what I mean... Like I just meant trying not going to just go get the alcohol just because it's hard might help, the worst of the withdrawal symptoms DO pass eventually... It's so hard to quit that I think that's why many people go back to drinking because they can't stand it. Any ways like Maria said something like AA would probably benefit you, but you need to be ready to stop drinking, I think you need to think long and hard whether you are just going to go back to school and just start drinking right away again. I think it would be a good idea to consider AA like Maria said because it sounds like you might have some issues with alcohol addiction on top of being a heavy partier if you are having this much trouble just going a few weeks without alcohol.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread