TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hannahgreenwood Offline
Average Joe

one message for just one person--paying it forward - January 25th 2013, 03:49 PM

Okay. I am a 20 year old girl who has never done drugs. Period.

Why?
The effects are bad. I would regret it if I did do a drug.

My conversation with my cousins:
Hannah, you need to not judge. It's natural for people to do this.

Excuse me? I am a very open-minded, sincere person. I acknowledge that the curiosity to do drugs exists. I also acknowledge that I myself despite how against drugs I am have absolutely wanted to smoke marijuana, get drunk, and puff a cigarette at some point in my life. Will I judge you for doing a drug? I will keep it in mind, yes but judge? No.

Some people need a cigarette to get through the day. If they were so badly addicted that it would ruin them to not have one than that is understandable. They first have to go through the process of finding an environment in which they can quit and acknowledging how much they might have to sacrifice for that.

Experimentation, however, is not okay in my mind. Is it understandable? Absolutely. Will I ever do it? No. Will I condone my children to? Never. And honestly, this whole "you shouldn't judge and you should be more informed" argument is disappointing to say the least.

I judge people based on their hearts and I cannot judge your heart if you are stoned, intoxicated, tripping on acid, reaching for your nicotine every five minutes, and more.

If it prescribed to you, great. If you aren't ready to quit, great. But needing the experience to find something awesome?? I would like to know a hell of a lot more about that. What sort of productivity comes from an experimentation? Even if it is just once.

You're angry? You're sad? That's why you did it. Wow. You know what I've done with my depression? I've saved the life of someone who has attempted to kill me repeatedly. I've talked people out of anorexia/bulemia. I've sponsored a child in Africa. I've graduated high school with a 4.16 GPA and now go to one of the best colleges in the country. I've stopped bullying countless times and I've been there for a friend who needed me because she was so addicted to crack, cigarettes, sex, and more that if not for the fact that I do not party she would have had no one to turn to--not even the people who experiment every now and then. She slept with eighty people. And I don't know about you, but I sure as hell want to raise my children to be able to do that for their best friend who can't turn to their parents because unlike all of those people, they are clean.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: one message for just one person--paying it forward - January 25th 2013, 10:15 PM

You're saying to me that you're some "open minded and sincere person" except, and not to seem overly critical here but, all I am reading here is how your actually, in fact, judging people for using drugs. How going through something awful or being a young innocent kid in the wrong crowd trying isn't a "good enough" of a reason for you, that they're some how weak for having turned to drugs. That's what I am reading here. I see you telling us that because YOU managed to get through what ever problems you had and that others did it too that somehow that obviously means that everyone should be able to. And that in my opinion if DEFINITELY NOT being open minded. People make their choices and you can't say that just because turning to drugs was in many ways a choice that those people are inherently flawed.

Your "message" might be that using drugs and addiction is some how avoidable? Well, in some ways, yeah, I am sure it is. But you are coming across as condescending. But you can't boil down to WHY a person would turn to drugs and just say "don't do it, you can get through life without it". What about people who suffer severe trauma? I know people who have been hospitalized with cancer or life threatening injuries and been given oxys and become addicted and had to wean themselves off it. Do you want to tell those people that it was a choice? That they should just have stayed clean simple as that? That they should have been in excruciating pain just because a drug addiction is so abominable? Some how I highly doubt it. So it isn't as simple to say "don't do it because it's bad for you, just rise above it and you'll be fine in the long run". It isn't that simple and knowing many people who ARE or HAVE BEEN addicted to drugs and listening to what they've said and seeing what got them there I can say that it isn't that. I can't even explain it all, it is so individualized from one person to the next.

Not to mention that I know many people who have had substance abuse problems whether it be alcohol or worse who got clean and use their experience to help others, to share their experience without shame, and they grow and become better people for it.

Again I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just telling you what I think about what I am reading here.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread