TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Smoking weed to help anxiety - March 21st 2013, 08:33 PM

So, I've been smoking weed for the past few weeks to help reduce my anxiety. It genuinely works for me :/ I just have irrational fears and anxieties. If I smoke a joint it will almost make me feel 100% better.

It also helps me sleep. It helps me sleep a lot more than prescription sleeping tablets do.

I've never really experienced any bad side-effects either. I've had worse side-effects from my anti-depressants. The only "bad" thing is I find it hard to concentrate whilst high.

My best friend keeps telling me to stop because I shouldn't be relying on it. I get where he's coming from but people rely on prescription tablets :/ it's just a drug like my Sertraline is.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - March 21st 2013, 08:51 PM

Can I ask why you're posting this - are you looking for reassurance or advice?? I don't think there's anything wrong with smoking weed every so often but to be honest I agree with your friend - you wouldn't want to be developing a dependence on it, just for your own sake. I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but have you considered any other alternatives that might help with anxiety?? But when it comes down to it, it's your choice and I can't say that I wouldn't be the same in your situation.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - March 21st 2013, 09:01 PM

Just wondering if I should stop or not. I've tried to many other things and it seems like weed is the only thing that works for me right now.

I've even had C.B.T. which was a barrel of laughs. I never found my therapist useful.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - March 21st 2013, 11:25 PM

Since im intoxicated, it will be wierd text.
Ok, i smoke weed too, to sleep or just to chill. Thats a thing that i do if i dont want to get drunk. But i still do, i wasnt sober for like... 3-4 nights, and then before that i think 1 month. If im not high, im drunk. Lying in my bed, thinking, listening to music... Smoking... Just... Doing nothing... Hmm, if you should stop? Heres a test. Try not to smoke for 20 days. If you cant, thats a problem. I cant. I need to smoke weed, smoke cigarettes and drink. Yes, im addicted. Very bad thing if you should ask, so, basically, do the test and decide. And oh yeah, there are only 0.02% of people that are addicted to weed... Goooooodnight....

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - March 22nd 2013, 01:27 AM

Just get your medical marijuana card and light it up!

You can even buy like brownies, cakes, and other shit from the store of you get your card signed off on (anxiety will get you one).

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - March 22nd 2013, 06:20 AM

Wowowowow, dude, what? Medical marijuana card? That shit exists? I still buy mine 10$ per gram... Duuuuuude... America, america, land of freedom, lol, im coming... xD
But still... Legal marijuana... Daaaaaaaaamn...
Can i get one in croatia?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - March 22nd 2013, 11:49 AM

I'm British. It's still not legal medically or otherwise here.

LOL I always think of the episode of South Park where Randy gives himself testicular cancer for medical marijuana :')

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - March 23rd 2013, 10:13 PM

It's very challenging to get medical marijuana. I don't know about in the USA but the don't do it in Canada. Though I've heard it works fabulously for glocoma and some cancers.

Any ways, it's interesting that you find it calming on you. I found it just increased my anxiety because I felt like I wasn't in control and a few times I had full flown panic attacks where I felt like I was dying so I had to stop.

But yeah, you probably shouldn't be using it to solve your problems. It's one thing to just smoke occasionally because you enjoy doing so but being dependent on a substance to be able to function/get by is never an appealing solution. You should try a different therapist, my therapist is amazing right from day 1 but I saw one a few years back who did didn't manage to help me AT ALL. You should be trying developing better coping skills so you don't have to rely on a drug

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - April 3rd 2013, 05:20 PM

If I were you I'd stop, but that's because I'm personally against using any kind of substance (including prescription meds) for things like anxiety. If you've looked at the pros and cons, and it seems no worse than the prescription stuff for other things, then it's your choice what you do.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Musician Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - April 10th 2013, 02:03 PM

mmm...Ok.There are a few things you should know about weed before you start thinking of using it to control anxiety.You mentioned Sertraline and that youre using that,which is fine.But if your on an anti-dep you might want to think twice about using weed.

Sertraline produces primarily Seritonin ,and a lot of it.Cannabis produces Seritonin,Dopamine and Noradrenaline.The Dopamine and Seritonin gives you the sedative effect,but,noradrenalin makes your heart-rate speed up,pushes your bloodpressure up and makes you alert...you wont however feel it because youre high.Dopamine is secreted by the brain naturally as a "reward mechanism" e.g youve done extremely well on an exam -its that awesome,amazing feeling you feel is due to achieving something youve worked for.With weed youre fooling your brain into thinking you are amazing and youve done something spectacular,problem is just youve actually done nothing except created a very easy and dangerous way of escaping life when you see fit.Sertraline is a drug in a way yes,but you dont drink copious amounts at on sitting at sporadic intervals do you(and dont try drinking more sertraline than prescribed please,you could acquire seritonin-syndrome and slip into a coma)?And why?Because youll be an emotional rollercoaster and think completely irrationally.If you smoke weed every time youre feeling very anxious youll be training your brain to want it every time you do.Im not the type that says:"just jog it of" or "go do something positive",anxiety is a horrible thing to cope with,but please just bear in mind that weed isnt harmless.Ive seen 2 people literally go crazy as a result of cannabis.They both have Schizophrenia now and have to be on anti-psychotics for the rest of their lives.

If youre still feeling pretty anxious on Sertraline(and thats very possible) id suggest speaking to you doctor about going on an anti-dep which also produces a bit extra dopamine as well like Luvox,Fluoxetine or Molipaxin.The effect wont be immediate,but after a week youll be able to take life on with full force again without the risk of psychosis.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - April 13th 2013, 10:36 PM

In the long run, weed can make you more anxious, paranoid or give you panic attacks if it's used on a regular basis. Furthermore it can be psychologically addictive - if it makes you feel better, you'll want to do it again and again, even if no physical urges occur. I know all kinds of legal medication can have bad side effects and can be addictive, and I know people say weed isn't that bad, but I wouldn't recommend taking it as means of blocking out anxieties. It doesn't sound like a healthy way to deal with it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - April 15th 2013, 03:02 PM

In my opinion, if it helps there's nothing wrong with using it. It might be useful to ask other people if they notice anything different about you when you're high though. When I took high dose a/d's a lot of people couldn't stand to be around me, but I felt fine. It's probably better for you than smoking tobacco like I do, I just don't like the feeling of being stoned. I agree with you on the meds. Sleeping pills will wreck your mind and body, weed is safer.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Smoking weed to help anxiety - April 15th 2013, 04:35 PM

A further point: Don't give up on therapy because CBT didn't work for you. Cognitive behavioral therapy is a very "Western" therapy practice. In my experience, it was way too "mechanistic" for emotional problems. The idea is that you can reduce the source of your problems to distorted thoughts or behavior patterns and that some concrete notion in your mind has to be changed. In my opinion it's condescending of a therapist to attempt to "give you the answer" and tell you how to act and think. I found Buddhist practice and mindfulness many times more useful. The general idea is to cultivate "seeds" of happiness and neglect those that cause you to suffer. Look deeply into your mind and soul and find that your problems do have a cause, but that it may not be something tangible. It takes time to change any unhealthy habit, and no one else can do it for you.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Closed Thread