TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JayBee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Little Brother Overdosed Again - April 14th 2013, 10:08 PM

My seventeen year old brother has a problem with substances. Its mostly just pot although we have discovered harder stuff in his possession as well. Two nights ago we got a frantic phone call from one of his friends that he was throwing up all over the place. We later found out that he had eaten a whole plate of pot cookies. This is the third time that he had done this and ended up in the hospital. His behaviour has become very erratic, his moods go up and down at the drop of a coin, and me and my parents are walking on eggshells around him because he keeps threatening to leave. He is alienating his friends with his mood swings and drug habits. And says upsetting things like "Am I dead?" I don't know what to do and its breaking my heart because the things he does really hurt him and he refuses to get help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Little Brother Overdosed Again - April 15th 2013, 02:59 PM

The good news is pot won't kill him...that vomiting reflex is probably a good thing tbh. However, it's important that he not overdose on harder stuff, especially cocaine or downers (or alcohol, for that matter). The mood swings and behavior stuff are probably due to marijuana use -- weed can exacerbate mental health issues.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_soul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Little Brother Overdosed Again - April 15th 2013, 04:41 PM

I'm sorry to hear this, I can imagine how hard that is for you and your family. I've had similar experiences. There's not really much I can suggest other than to try to talk to him and find out why he does it, but I expect you've tried that already.

Chances are, he'll grow out of it. Most teenagers experiment; although his is an extreme case. One day he'll realise what's he's doing and he'll try to make it right. I know that's not much consolation now but try to be strong and not give up on him. The main thing is to persevere - however hard that is - and make sure he knows that you still love him. Sometimes when people push others away, it's just a subconscious way of finding out who really cares, so show him that you do.

I really hope things get better for you, and that your brother doesn't do any permanent damage. Stay strong

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Little Brother Overdosed Again - April 15th 2013, 08:08 PM

Have you looked into support groups in your area? It might help if you could talk to other people in a similar situation. If you are interested check out http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/how-to-find-a-meeting

Al Anon meetings are support groups for people whose family members are addicts. They foucus more on alcoholism, but its for any addiction really. They can be really good for people who need someone to talk to, get some advice, or just to have people in their lives that are going through the same thing. They can offer some good advice. Its not for everyone, but I think its worth a shot.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread