TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Underage drinking? - April 15th 2013, 09:00 PM

Hello

So, this may not go in this forum so feel free to move it. I didn't know where else to put it!

I have like a major problem with young people drinking alcohol. Just gettin' this out there. I don't really see a reason for 15 year olds to be getting shitfaced at parties. But all my friends do it and they aren't bad people or anything, they just like to drink because they say it makes them feel more comfortable and have more fun. I understand that but why do I have such a massive problem with it still? I get major anxiety at parties because seeing my friends acting like that is just sooo unnatural and really unsettling. Even when my mom (who hardly EVER drinks) has a few drinks and acts more outgoing (she is usually quiet/sensitive, ya know), I just find it makes me feel really sad and scared and I don't know why. My dad drinks and he barely acts that different so I feel fine around him. But it's just so unnatural to see my mom and friends acing like that. I will honestly cry when I see my mom like that. And it's not that she acts mean or sad or anything, she just acts so different.

So anyway, there is a party this weekend and I really want to go to get over my "fear". I feel like the only way to do that is to maybe drink a little and loosen up. But then I'd be doing the very thing I have such a problem with. I would also hate to be the "off in the corner" awkward person because I'm the kinda person who gets really upset when left out.

Does anyone else have these anxiety issues? Am I just a big baby for thinking this?

Only you have the power to say,
"This is not how my story will end"

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Underage drinking? - April 15th 2013, 10:19 PM

It's okay that you feel that way. Lots of people feel uncomfortable around people who drink. It's well-founded, drunk people tend to be really stupid. I wouldn't recommend drinking just because you want to fit in. It's really not worth it.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Underage drinking? - April 16th 2013, 04:25 AM

Hey, Cassie.

Feeling uncomfortable is around people drinking is okay. A good thing in some ways. I used to feel uncomfortable when my cousin drank around me. It's unsettling seeing people you know and are around a lot acting so differently. However, I don't think you should drink just to fit in. It's good you don't need alcohol to hang out with others.

Could you possibly discuss how you feel about this with your mother?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Underage drinking? - April 16th 2013, 05:56 AM

Hi there, Cassie c:

Like the others have said, there's nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable around people who drink. I, myself, feel very uncomfortable in social situations, so I understand why you may feel like you need to drink to "relax" or "fit in". It's really not worth it though. Drinking at a young age can be very dangerous, and using drink to alleviate your anxiety can lead to worse problems in the future, you may become dependent on alcohol because it's the only thing that gets you by in social situations.

So, essentially, stick to your guns and stay off the drink. Take care.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fenzy Offline
Only dogs should fear pounds.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Cassie

Re: Underage drinking? - April 16th 2013, 11:03 AM

Thank you <3

The one reason I wouldn't drink is kinda sad but true : There's too many calories in it. I'm just recovery from anorexia so I'm still a little scared of that. I also won't drink just to fit in. I'll give it a go and if I don't like the environment, my parents said I can give them a call.

I have talked to my mom about it although I do find my dad's advice to be a bit more reasonable as he drink's alcohol quite often (not a LOT, but more often than my mom) and I feel he's very understanding about the topic.

Only you have the power to say,
"This is not how my story will end"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Underage drinking? - April 16th 2013, 07:48 PM

Its not even just when your underage that lots of people don't like this. At 21 I still hate having to go out to parties or bars, it's uncomfortable and awkward for me. In clubs guys start trying to grope you, smack your ass and "dance" with you (and trust me, its not sexy AT ALL) and they assume that since your drunk you won't care and that it doesn't make you horrifically uncomfortable that that's what people think is "normal". At parties if I start drinking it means I can't leave once people start behaving stupidly and I don't like the idea of being in no condition to drive home/having to sleep on someones' couch in clothes i've been wearing all day so I always make sure I drive with the excuse of having to go home because of one reason or another and don't drink more than 2 or at worst 3 light drinks over the period of time (if I drink at all) so that it's still safe for me to drive (I know my tolerance level)... I also hate how drunk people behave, you can't talk to them and they start doing stupid stuff because "oh well, I'm drunk so its ok" uh no it just makes you a fucking moron cause your inhibitions are down and that's a shitty excuse....

I drink sometimes, I will have a drink with dinner or every once in a while "go a little crazy" (like a few times a year) but i vehemently avoid situations where i can't just leave (crowded parties are terrible for me, I prefer just a few good friends)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Underage drinking? - April 19th 2013, 02:55 AM

I used to get drunk several times per week. I was always a "wallflower" and drinking just made it feel okay to sit in the corner and do nothing. That or I'd play drinking games to feel like I was involved. Don't drink at 15, you're doing far more harm than good. Everyone I know who started drinking that young had serious problems later on in life.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Underage drinking? - April 19th 2013, 12:50 PM

I think the problem with underage drinking is the fact that its never responsible... So many teenagers DON'T just sit down and have 1 or 2 drinks with a dinner, they get totally wasted when ever they drink and behave like total fools. Seriously, if I never heard a "omg i was so drunk I have so idea what happened and i had to go onto facebook to see picutres just to understand all the drama that went down" conversation again like it's some kind of fucking accomplishment I won't be missing anything.... I have nothing against underaged drinking but it's when the sole purpose is to get drunk ALL the time then it's kind of weird

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: Underage drinking? - April 19th 2013, 03:14 PM

The main reason people underage drink is because it is illegal, and it makes them feel "cool". Personally, when I was underage, I used to joke about drinking all the time. I had my first drink when I was 19, but here's the catch - I was in Mexico, so it was legal. The only thing I've learned from alcohol is it's really not that great. Also, I think "being drunk" is really just a mind game. There have been studies done where people were given punch that was alcohol free, and because people thought it had alcohol in it, they acted like they were drunk. In all honesty, alcohol is a depressant. It doesn't solve anyone's problems.

Personally, I would not advise you to drink. It won't make you cool. The one time I tried to get drunk, I just very nauseous (thankfully I didn't throw up). Don't let others pressure you into doing something you're against. I had a former roommate who was extremely ant-alcohol all together. Then she went to California and started drinking with her cousin. She said she was just going to do it once, but then she got addicted.

I have more respect for people who don't drink, in all honesty.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Underage drinking? - April 19th 2013, 04:16 PM

One of the major disadvantages of alcohol as a drug is that it is extremely difficult to get the dose "just right." If you're doing shots or mixed drinks like many young people, the slow route of administration (drinking) will catch up with you later. You'll feel great for an hour or so, then very drunk and sick. Happened to me (more than) once and I found myself passed out next to a parking structure at 5:00AM, covered in vomit and missing a shoe. Good thing I'm a dude is all I can say.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Underage drinking? - April 22nd 2013, 06:21 AM

I find that the only problem with underage drinking is that these children act as if it's cool to drink in excess. I have friends, some who are 25, that still think the more drunk they are, the cooler they are. It's wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. There's no reason for it, and people just end up looking like idiots.

I'd say, if you can go out, have one or two drinks, relax and be yourself, you're fine. Do not drink in excess.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Closed Thread