TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LMFAOsabrina Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sabrina

Theres no way I can be an alcoholic.. - April 21st 2009, 09:56 PM

I'm really starting to think I'm an alcoholic.. =\ It started when I tried alcohol for the first time with my two best friends. After getting caught and such, we said that we would never drink again until we were at legal age.

I don't know about them, but I lied.

When I found wine in the kitchen closet on Thursday, I was tempted to bring it in my room to try it, forgetting about how I said I would never drink again. Anyways, after opening it, I drank some.. Then I couldn't stop.

Since Thursday, I havent gone a day without drinking, and I'm hiding the large bottle behind my dresser (I have an unopened bottle of beer in my dresser too). Sometimes, when I'm not even around the wine, I'll just start smelling the wine, and sometimes I'll feel the taste in my mouth.

I can't stop, its addicting. This morning, I mixed the wine with my water bottle, and shook it so it would blend in with the water, and took it to school and drank it. For half of the day, it was in my locker, and I thought about it and craved it all day.

I'm trying not to believe that I am an alcoholic.. I can't be an alcoholic, but I cant stop drinking! I'm 12 years old, I shouldnt be an alcoholic.

What do I do? =\

~Sabrina
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Seuss

Send a message via AIM to LMFAOsabrina Send a message via MSN to LMFAOsabrina  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Theres no way I can be an alcoholic.. - April 21st 2009, 10:19 PM

You're not an alcoholic. You're an underage kid drinking alcohol, who if they keep it up, might as well put a tag on your liver, slap its ass and kiss it good-bye. I don't know how your parents or people at school don't detect alcohol on your breath or intoxicated behavior, however, put the bottle away and don't drink it. You'll crave it when you don't have it but you'll have to live through that and stay off the alcohol not only for a day but for weeks, months, years, etc... .

(#3 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: Theres no way I can be an alcoholic.. - April 22nd 2009, 07:14 PM

If anybody at your school or your parents found out about what you did with your water bottle and alcohol, you could get into serious trouble, not only for drinking it but for bringing it onto school property, which, I would guess, is a prohibited substance and likely part of a zero tolerance policy. Could result in suspension if not worse.

If nothing else, don't ever do that again, though I definitely do not advocate you continuing to drink either. It's not uncommon for underage kids to drink, but according to your profile, you're 12. I have to admit that sent a shock through my system. You're way too young to let this become something you do occasionally, much less all the time. If you truly think you may have an addiction to the substance itself (emotional or physical) you need to consider talking to someone about getting help.

UCLA has a good listing of toll-free, anonymous hotlines, including substance abuse. You may want to check them out.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Re: Theres no way I can be an alcoholic.. - April 24th 2009, 01:04 AM

DONT DRINK!!!! YOU"RE TOO DAMN YOUNG!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Theres no way I can be an alcoholic.. - April 24th 2009, 03:31 AM

pfft that is not being an alcoholic. It's called being a kid. Just stop with the drinking. It's not hard seeing as how you're really not drinking that much. I don't want to discredit your belief, but I think you're overexaggerating a little bit. Go a week or two without alcohol and see how you feel, because this happens to alot of people who think they're alcoholics. There are plenty of other happy and healthy productive activities you could be out doing at age 12.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Theres no way I can be an alcoholic.. - April 24th 2009, 07:44 AM

Hey Sabrina,

I honestly don't think you are an alcoholic. How long have you even been drinking? If you are worried about your drinking habits you should definitely stop. Even if you aren't worried you are really to young for this type of behavior. You don't want this to develop into something worse and it inevitably start to negatively effect your life if you choose to continue. I would be honest with your friends about what is going on. This way they can help and support you on your journey to quit. Alcoholism is not a joke. Here are some long term effects of alcohol:

Quote:
Long-term effects of consuming large quantities of alcohol, especially when combined with poor nutrition, can lead to permanent damage to vital organs such as the brain and liver.
While you shouldn't rely on this to diagnose you it can help you get a better idea about how bad your alcohol abuse is and how it can negatively effect your life. HERE is the link to the test. Another thing to keep in mind is that your alcohol consumption is illegal. Do you really want to put your future at risk like this? Do you honestly think it is worth it? At 12 years old you should be having good ole innocent fun. There are so many other activities to do that aren't illegal and don't give you negative side effects. Please think about what you are really doing here. When you choose to abuse drugs or alcohol your decision doesn't only effect you but rather it effects everyone around you as well. Don't bring this into your life. It won't solve your problems or make you happier in the long run. Why are you even drinking in the first place? Why do you feel like this is the best option for you? Do you not realize what you are really getting yourself into? Alcoholism brings a world of hurt into your life. Please be smart and save yourself from this hurt. If you ever have any questions or need someone to talk to feel free to PM me. Take care and make good choices.

Lots of love <3 Mimi

Sources:
http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/drug_guide/Alcohol

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Closed Thread