TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cookiesamilk Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Caitlin

Question Am I at Risk? - May 26th 2013, 06:25 AM

Ever sense I was really young (around 3rd grade I think) I've thought about using drugs. I've thought about using inhalants, smoking, alcohol, pills, anything. Right now in health class we're talking about the risk of drug use, and even though I'm hearing about all this horrible stuff that drug use could cause, right now I feel more compelled to use drugs than ever. I just don't know what to do. And please, don't right some sad story in the comments about what drugs has done to your life (sorry, that sounds really rude), that's just not what I'm looking for right now. I guess what I'm looking for is advice. Should I tell someone? Who should I tell? Not my parents and not my health teacher. and not my guidance counselor. Well, that narrows down the list. I just don't want this to ruin my life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Am I at Risk? - May 27th 2013, 01:21 AM

It is not uncommon for kids and teens to be curious about drugs and alcohol, especially since it's a very prevalent thing in modern media and in society in general.
Because you're having these curiosities doesn't make you at risk though. Risk factors are typically things like family history of substance abuse and addiction.
You can always talk to all of us about these feelings, but it would be a good idea to bring it up to someone. I would re-consider your guidance counsellor as they are there to help with these kinds of things. They aren't going to tell anyone unless they think you are in some sort of danger. Having a frank conversation with someone is going to get you far.
If you want to talk to someone on here, I'm more than happy to talk with you just PM me. Drugs/Alcohol/Addiction are my specialty it's what i'm studying and plan on being an addictions counselor so I may be able to provide you with the information you want.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Am I at Risk? - May 30th 2013, 07:17 PM

Of course you're at risk. Everyone's at risk. Drugs are glorified just as much as they're condemned, that's going to conflict anybody.

It all comes down to why you want to use these drugs. Is it for the experience, the kicks, for relief, etc. Without really knowing what's driving your urge it's hard to steer you away from it effectively.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adriana.Jennes Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Adriana

Re: Am I at Risk? - June 5th 2013, 06:25 PM

Hey there,

as strange as it may sound it's really not uncommon for people to wonder and have thoughts about drugs and alcohol. It's something that's part of society in the world so it will come into young people's mind and cause questions.

The best advice I can give you is to really think of the repercussions and the consequences. Are you willing to risk your future for some temporary fun that could be potentially dangerous?

I would suggest talking to someone, even thought you don't feel like it. However, if that is not possible then you can definitely talk to someone on here.

Feel free to message me anytime, and we can talk about this.

Are you having a tough day or night? Then do this, place your hand over your heart. Feel that? That's called purpose. You're alive for a reason. Don't give up.

Closed Thread