TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

What am I doing? - July 7th 2013, 07:17 PM

I have a history of self destructive habits. I currently am working on being self harm free forever. I've noticed though that lately when stressed I've been drinking. it's not something I use to do often but whenever I did it's always gone from one drink to five and I can't just have one or two I have to keep going. I like the feeling of being drunk it relaxes me and lately has been the only thing that helps me sleep since my insomnia has gotten bad. The last few months I've been drinking nearly every other day and a more than just a few everytime I do.Its been taking a toll on my work and school. plus I've been mixing it with Vicodin just help me sleep. I think it would be good for me to try to stop now. Could this be potentially turning into a problem if I don't stop? I've always had difficultly recognizing these sort of things.i just have no idea what I'm doing anymore. some advice would be appreciated.

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

Last edited by Lil; July 7th 2013 at 07:40 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: What am I doing? - July 15th 2013, 12:22 AM

Firstly, alcohol actually doesn't help you sleep. It's been proven that it actually makes your sleep more disruptive. It may seem like it is helping you sleep because it is relaxing you, but in reality it's probably preventing you from getting a good, deep sleep which could cause you to have low moods. Like you said, you need to add Vicodin just to sleep.
You said you can't have just one or two drinks which is a red flag to me. So I definitely think it would be a good idea for you to work on not drinking anymore. Quitting alcohol cold turkey typically doesn't go well, so work on just drinking less and less every day. Instead of 5 drinks a day, try and only have 4 a day for a week. Then go down to 3.
Because alcohol is affecting your sleep, I also recommend setting a cap for when you can have a drink. For example, try not drinking any later than 4 PM. If you start getting more sleep, you'll probably feel better and will be less likely to think you need alcohol.
I also think you should talk to somebody about this, such as a friend or a family member. They can give you support and motivation which will be very helpful.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: What am I doing? - July 15th 2013, 03:08 AM

I had a similar alcohol problem a few years back. I would drink to the point of sickness multiple nights per week, and it definitely took its toll. I ended up dropping out of school and am still on antidepressants today. I did recover and am close to getting my undergraduate degree now, and I'm still able to drink in moderation. Let me be the first to say that drinking excessively (to the point of vomiting or bad hangovers) is much worse for your body and mind than having "a few drinks." If at all possible, I would recommend cutting back.

Not to scare you, but ANY opiate or barbiturate sedative and excessive alcohol can be a deadly combination -- just look at what happened to Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse. It's really a bad idea to combine Vicodin and alcohol, both for the hydrocodone and the acetaminophen. The former can contribute to respiratory depression, and the latter to long term liver damage. Instead, I would recommend tea or an herbal extract such as valerian root. Even benzodiazepines would be safer, though you're not supposed to drink while on those either. I hope this helps and that you recover quickly

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: What am I doing? - July 15th 2013, 02:27 PM

Have you tried taking over the counter sleep medication? Those things can work pretty well, but not all of them work for the same person. I know I had to try a few different brands to find one that I liked best. So I think you should explore that as an alternative to drinking to go to sleep. If that doesn't help, you can get prescription sleep aids for something a little more powerful. There are also a lot of articles on the internet about nighttime routines on how to get yourself to sleep faster. You can also do things like nighttime stretches or yoga to help relax you in a more natural, positive way.

I also agree with the previous advice that alcohol and Vicodin is a really bad combination and for the best of your health, you need to stop that immediately. While it may feel relaxing, there are plenty of other things that can help you relax that won’t potentially kill you.

Cutting back on your drinking is key, drinking that much everyday can cause serious health risks that are just not worth the relaxation effect you are getting from alcohol.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lil Offline
I'm here
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lil

Re: What am I doing? - July 17th 2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone, you were all quite helpful

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Cut free since March 6th 2013
Purge free since March 8th 2013

(#6 (permalink)) Old
gochanour2541 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Colby Gochanour

Re: What am I doing? - July 23rd 2013, 02:58 PM

I would really stray away from the Vicodin while drinking. That can lead to some pretty detrimental consequences. If you really think its a problem, group therapy may be a good idea. It's less intense than one-on-one, plus you get feedback from people just like you.

Closed Thread