TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nitro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation I need to stop doing drugs and drinking, otherwise I will destroy myself. - July 20th 2013, 06:12 AM

I am scared of my future if I don't stop drinking and doing drugs. I'm nineteen years old and I started drinking alcohol every now and then for the last 2-3 years. In the last two years I've occasionally smoked weed and I had a very bad period with cocaine in which I snorted a few days a week for almost half a day.

I've always been curious about drugs, finding out their effects and etc, however the problem is that I can easily turn into an alcoholic/junky if I have the right friends. I had such periods with alcohol in which I partied many times a week in which I should have went to school and the same with coke, I lost a lot of school days because of it.

Nothing can stop me, my parents don't check on me to find out that I do stuff like that and financially I'm well-off. The main issue is finding the bad friends. I haven't done coke for almost a year so from that perspective I'm okay, however I've been drinking and I smoked weed a few times in the last 6 months. I got a big scared now that I saw that Cory Monteith died only at 31 thanks to this kind of faith, I don't want to end up dead in a few years or like a zombie like that Home Alone guy.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: I need to stop doing drugs and drinking, otherwise I will destroy myself. - July 20th 2013, 04:55 PM

Have you ever considered seeing a councilor, therapist of finding some sort of support group for this? I would definitely look around in your area and see if there's any place you can get help/treatment for these addictions, and the sooner you find 1 the better off you'll be in the end!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I need to stop doing drugs and drinking, otherwise I will destroy myself. - July 20th 2013, 06:23 PM

Can you evaluate your friendships and begin to form new ones? I would begin to look for people that have similar values or values that you want to obtain.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: I need to stop doing drugs and drinking, otherwise I will destroy myself. - July 21st 2013, 04:52 AM

Are you currently at university? If so, try attending a few different clubs or take up a new sport. This will help you to meet other people with similar interests. Being in the wrong crowd can definitely take a toll on your life, so the sooner you drop the negative influences and find people who you can have fun with without drugs or alcohol the better.
I'm also in a similar boat as you. Cory's death has shocked me as well, (he never pegged me as the drug-user type) so I am trying to use it as motivation. It takes time to quit, but every time you have drugs or alcohol in front of you, question whether you actually need it or not. If you are having a hard time saying no, take a moment to think about what happened to Cory or the Home Alone guy. Is it worth the risk? No.
Try finding distractions for whenever you're having a hard time saying no. Try going for a run or a walk, playing your favorite video game, or cooking a new recipe. These will keep you busy so that you won't feel as much temptation.
Lastly, remember to reward yourself along the way. If you make it a week without being under the influence, treat yourself to your favorite dessert or go get a message. This will also help to keep you motivated to quit and take up a healthier lifestyle.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nitro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I need to stop doing drugs and drinking, otherwise I will destroy myself. - July 21st 2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silhouette View Post
Are you currently at university? If so, try attending a few different clubs or take up a new sport. This will help you to meet other people with similar interests. Being in the wrong crowd can definitely take a toll on your life, so the sooner you drop the negative influences and find people who you can have fun with without drugs or alcohol the better.
I'm also in a similar boat as you. Cory's death has shocked me as well, (he never pegged me as the drug-user type) so I am trying to use it as motivation. It takes time to quit, but every time you have drugs or alcohol in front of you, question whether you actually need it or not. If you are having a hard time saying no, take a moment to think about what happened to Cory or the Home Alone guy. Is it worth the risk? No.
Try finding distractions for whenever you're having a hard time saying no. Try going for a run or a walk, playing your favorite video game, or cooking a new recipe. These will keep you busy so that you won't feel as much temptation.
Lastly, remember to reward yourself along the way. If you make it a week without being under the influence, treat yourself to your favorite dessert or go get a message. This will also help to keep you motivated to quit and take up a healthier lifestyle.
Yeah, I guess I'm having a really rough time re-evaluating my friendships as Sarasa said. The thing is that ALL my friends drink so I would have to give up big time on everything, gladly my drug-doing-partner moved to another city, however I hate that he always expects me to do stuff with him when he comes here and he gets really mad when I refuse him. I would have to "break up" with him in some way, or rather refuse him until he understands.

I also have this strange way to think in which weed would be so much better than alcohol in many perspectives, it doesn't screw with so many things as alcohol does, your liver, stomach and your urinary system and there are no such things as hangovers or blackouts. However it is illegal and that makes it worse anyway. I should move to Holland (LOL).

The other thing is that I'm such a slacker and everything I do basically revolves around social interaction, so even if I start gaming or doing stuff at home I will feel terribly if I don't go out of my house and socialize once a day. So it will be pretty hard, I really hate this situation because I know my destiny won't be good if I don't settle, and I don't know why it's not enough for me to only reduce it. I also started smoking cigarettes time ago and I can really avoid smoking, but when I start drinking I directly feel the need to smoke.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: I need to stop doing drugs and drinking, otherwise I will destroy myself. - July 23rd 2013, 02:50 AM

I feel like your drug using friend should understand if you explain the situation to him, if not he might not be worth having as a friend. As for drinking, I would recommend sticking to beer and wine and drinking slowly, possibly with water in between drinks. That way you're not the group teetotaler but also don't suffer from the negative effects of over-indulgence. As for weed, the jury is out in my opinion. Clearly it doesn't have the negative physical health effects of alcohol, but personally I don't like the mental dullness and forgetfulness it brings on. Supposedly it can exacerbate certain mental health conditions as well.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nitro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I need to stop doing drugs and drinking, otherwise I will destroy myself. - July 30th 2013, 02:43 AM

I don't know why in my subconscious I feel that this Bohemian Lifestyle that revolves around alcohol and drugs is so cool. I know it's not good and I don't know if I would have the strength to stay away from it if I have the chance to get to it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: I need to stop doing drugs and drinking, otherwise I will destroy myself. - July 30th 2013, 04:46 PM

I highly suggest looking into local support groups. Having people to talk to about this on a regular basis can really be helpful in staying strong.

Here is a link on a way to find local AA meetings in your area. http://www.aa.org/lang/en/subpage.cfm?page=28

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread