TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Substance Use Whether you are combating substance abuse, are in search support, or have questions about drugs or alcohol, ask in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
smokinggun Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anonymous

What's wrong with drugs? - September 5th 2013, 03:01 AM

I love getting high. I smoke and take perks whenever I want and some times drink. I don't do it all the time so I'm not addicted so I don't see what's wrong with doing it. How do you feel about it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 5th 2013, 04:46 AM

Personally I'm not nor ever been a real fan of them. Now if they're prescribed that's 1 thing but recreational drug use, etc just is not my thing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 5th 2013, 04:49 PM

I can tell you from personal experience that drugs and alcohol should not be taken lightly.
They can and do affect your brain, and repeated use (even every once in awhile over the years) can affect your brain chemistry. I've been battling a drug problem for a few months now, and I've already noticed several negative effects since I started. I'm way moodier now, my serotonin levels are low which causes me to be depressed most of the time, my sleep is disrupted, I have trouble focusing, etc.
These substances are illegal and restricted for a reason: health concerns. We tend to think we are invincible and won't ever be affected by drugs, but that is far from the truth. I know it's fun to get a break from reality every once in awhile, but it's not a good way to live.
In addition, drugs tend to cause people to recede from relationships. I can vouch for this; I've missed several family occasions over the last few months and in fact haven't been in much contact with my family at all.
My main point is that it's not healthy and there are several alternatives to having fun that aren't as destructive over the long term. It's also much easier to get addicted than you think.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jocasta Offline
Priestess of Cegolaich
Not a n00b

Name: Allie

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 7th 2013, 07:02 PM

I can tell you from four years of misery that drugs will always get you in the end if you don't lose em first. One more use will be too many but a thousand will never be enough. I lost years of my life to heroin, i lost four friends to overdoses, two got shot, and my girlfriend overdosed. And i started out just smoking. It can always progress. It damages you physically and alters your brain chemistry resulting in disorders that can last years or a lifetime. Bottom line, it can get very bad very fast.

How can man die better? Than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his father, in the temple of his gods.

"I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 8th 2013, 11:50 PM

Anytime you inhale smoke you are depriving your body (most importantly your lungs and brain) of oxygen which can result in long term damage from even recreational use.

Here is complete list of side effects from taking Percocet:
http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-7277...l&pagenumber=6

If this medication was not prescribed to you it can be extremely dangerous. And if it was prescribed to you and you are not using it as told by your doctor, the same danger applies to you as well. There is no such thing as a completely safe drug. They all have their medical complications and even if you are not addicted that does not protect you from the damage they could cause.

At the end of the day there are much healthier and safer methods of relieving stress, there is no reason to hurt yourself in the process.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 9th 2013, 12:25 AM

Personally, I don't think that using drugs every once in a while is a bad thing. I think it's a very slippery slope and you can get addicted pretty easily (depending on the drug). I want to experiment but like only once. And I know there are people who say "everyone says only once and then they become addicts" but I really don't think I'll get addicted. And if I do? Well, I've already got a lot of health problems so who even cares?

*disclaimer: I have borderline personality disorder and one of the things I struggle with the most is the urge to be self-destructive. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 9th 2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseFromTheAshes View Post
Personally, I don't think that using drugs every once in a while is a bad thing. I think it's a very slippery slope and you can get addicted pretty easily (depending on the drug). I want to experiment but like only once. And I know there are people who say "everyone says only once and then they become addicts" but I really don't think I'll get addicted. And if I do? Well, I've already got a lot of health problems so who even cares?

*disclaimer: I have borderline personality disorder and one of the things I struggle with the most is the urge to be self-destructive. So take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.
See, the problem with this way of thinking is that once you try it once, you might really like it or think the effects are fun and then it's easy to say "well I'll just do it one more time." It's really easy to try and justify it to the point where you've disillusioned yourself to thinking it's okay. This is where addiction starts.
It's much safer to realize there are plenty of other ways to have fun and to not risk it. Your argument that you already have health concerns doesn't mean you should just say "screw it" because you'll only end up creating more problems for yourself if you don't take drugs seriously and do them anyway and that will only create more misery for yourself.
Bottom line is, don't do it. It won't do anything positive for you and will only make you feel worse.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 9th 2013, 11:49 PM

See, I'm not some uptight judgey person who's going to go all type-A because you dared not think drugs are awful.... But drugs are not exactly good for you. Sure it might seem "fun", sure it might seem like nothing bad is going to happen except for the fact that it can.

You know, having a drink here and there is no big deal, but alcohol is a baby compared to other substances, which is why it is so easily available--you'll notice they don't have to put disgusting labels about all the horrific health issues it causes you in order to sell it like they do with cigarettes, they only really have to mention the dangers of A) drinking to much and B) drinking while pregnant.

But things like weed you can become extremely dependent on, you can't feel good without it, it consumes you thoughts, you can't function with out it.... Things like cigarettes make you SO addicted you can't even go out for dinner without excusing yourself for a cigarettes.... And that's just the mild things, ones that may not totally impede you're ability to function.

I've had friends with serious drug problems (oxy's and the likes) and I've seen what it does to them, I've known people to steal just so they could sell it and get the money they need to buy more drugs, they drop out of school, they pour their problems in to sex, partying and drugs. Not that having sex or partying is bad, per se, but it can become a lethal combination if your behaviour is driven by what ever problems led you to be using drugs. I know people who've ended up pregnant, on suicide watch, unable to be employed in a small town because no one will let go of that persons history.

I've seen people who are so messed up on drugs that they can barely carry a normal conversation even while sober because they've used to many hard core drugs their brains are just that messed up from it.

Drugs can so easily mess up your body, mind and your entire life. And I've seen it happen. It's so easy to say that "oh, you know, I just do it sometimes, I'm not addicted" blah blah... But.... Can you stop? And even if you think you can, I get it, maybe you truly believe you're an exception, maybe you'll always be able to control what you do with drugs, but I've all to often seen the problems that using drugs can cause... Even for medical use it's no light matter and it's illegal for a good reason.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#9 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 10th 2013, 01:12 AM

I have personally lost two friends thanks to drugs just this summer. The latest of which was on Aug 31. It's illegal to use these things for a reason. Please be responsible you may think its not going to happen to you and that's what my friends that, but guess what? It happened to them it can happen to anyone!

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  Send a message via Skype™ to hopefuldreamer 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 10th 2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Wallflower~ View Post

You know, having a drink here and there is no big deal, but alcohol is a baby compared to other substances, which is why it is so easily available--you'll notice they don't have to put disgusting labels about all the horrific health issues it causes you in order to sell it like they do with cigarettes, they only really have to mention the dangers of A) drinking to much and B) drinking while pregnant.

But things like weed you can become extremely dependent on, you can't feel good without it, it consumes you thoughts, you can't function with out it.... Things like cigarettes make you SO addicted you can't even go out for dinner without excusing yourself for a cigarettes.... And that's just the mild things, ones that may not totally impede you're ability to function.

I have to disagree with a few of the points you make here. Alcohol is "hard as they come" when abused. It can cause irreversible brain damage (Korsakoff's psychosis), cirrhosis of the liver, and delirium tremens upon withdrawal, all of which are obviously quite serious. True, a drink or two a night won't cause such dramatic problems, but neither will the occasional tab of acid or social smoking. Marijuana, by contrast, has been linked with "mild cognitive impairment" only in a few correlational studies with "interesting" control groups.

Drugs are controlled for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes they're good reasons -- no one wants their friend, child, etc. to experiment with PCP or methamphetamine. Other times it's not so clear. The classical hallucinogens and marijuana, for example, are quite safe physiologically. Cocaine and ketamine have viable medical uses in other countries. Then there are prescription-only drugs such as benzodiazepines and opiates which are only so tightly controlled because people can't seem to read the bottle and use them safely.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 10th 2013, 12:32 PM

I wasn't actually suggesting that alcohol is "no big deal at all ever"... If you aren't wildly drinking and killing your liver by getting super drunk all the time then having the odd drink isn't nearly as bad... You can have 1 or 2 drinks and still function, unless your an alcoholic or otherwise abusing alcohol then you don't constantly run the risk of addiction like you do with with most drugs.... Alcohol isn't inconsequential... Even having 1-2 drinks every single day is questionable... But drinking definitely isn't as serious as other stuff... You can mess up your liver, be jaundiced etc. and that's that... Alcohol is risky enough to be control... But a drink here and there isn't going to do the damage that other things will... Acid is like 1 million times worse

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Fricks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 11th 2013, 02:33 AM

I think it is your choice what you do to your body.
But from my experience, it always ends bad. I was addicted to drugs for about 2 years and it ruined my life and I am still struggling with making things right.
When you run out of money for your habits you will go to extreme measures to get your fix ... Shoplifting, selling valuable items for next to nothing, armed robberies, etc. It is truly embarrassing how much I was controlled by substances. I am still dealing with legal matters and will be for at least another four years.
Although I will say marijuana is the least of your worries but you can still become addicted, mentally, not physically.
So to sum it up, it is your body and your life so live how you like ... But ultimately I hope you can overcome this bad habit as it never brings ANY good. Sorry for sounding preachy.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: What's wrong with drugs? - September 18th 2013, 10:33 PM

I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying. It is a person's own choice with what they do with drugs. But, personally for me and coming from a family where there are drug addictions/problems, I think drugs are bad and can become addictive if done excessively.

Member Since 1/15/2012

Closed Thread